Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Suggestions for Filter Brands

Is there a relatively cheap filter out there that still produces great results???? I would like to purchase a UV filter, a polarizer, and possibly a softener. What would you suggest to be the bottom line that you would pay for a filter? What brands do you use? thanks, justin

11-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I use both Hama and Hoya filters and am quite pleased with their build quality.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 11-28-2007 at 05:03 PM.
11-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

B+W & Heliopan
11-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seymop Quote
Is there a relatively cheap filter out there that still produces great results???? I would like to purchase a UV filter, a polarizer, and possibly a softener. What would you suggest to be the bottom line that you would pay for a filter? What brands do you use? thanks, justin

Justin,

There are two schools of though on filters. Don't use em, have to have em.

I put them on any lens I use, whether in the studio or outdoors. They never come off outdoors and will be removed indoors only for specific imaging situations.

There are no cheap filters that will uplift your image quality. There are cheap filters that can protect your front element from the elements or accidents.

I only used B&W filters before. Now that Hoya owns Pentax I use Hoya top end filters.
Good filters will improve your images.

But, if they are too expensive for you at this time... at least go with a filter that has at least some multicoating to improve light transmission to the sensor and reduce chances for light diffusion and loss of contrast inherent in cheap filters.

Stephen