Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #1

lense foging up

Quick question, maybe someone might have a trick for me to overcome this.

When I walk outside from inside my house my lenses immediately fogs up, i know its beacuse of the temperture change especially being in Florida. Its sucks because if there is a pic i want to take lets say of two lizards fighting by the time my lense clears up the battle is over.

Thanks!!

08-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
REM
Forum Member

Being from Houston (similar weather) I understand. The best thing to do is usually wait a bit before you uncover the lens so it can normalize when walking into a different temperature zone.
08-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
thats what i fugured, thanks. its such a pita!
08-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The problem must be your air conditioning: - so going outside causes condensation on the cold dry lens..
Maybe try keeping your camera in an Esky or Igloo box (not sure what you call them there) - to prevent them from being cooled down by your A/C.

Another idea is that maybe a long cardboard lens hood could help by keeping a cushion of air next to the lens - like a dew shield used on amateur telescopes???
;-)

08-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, there is no cure, the temperature of the equipment has to equalize, and that takes a bit of time.
Put the camera in a plastic bag before going out and let it warm up inside. Any condensation will form on the outside of the bag.
Or, can you arrange for your camera to have "outside air" for a while before you are going to go out?
08-23-2011, 01:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys, ill give them all a try!!
08-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Turn off the aircon.
08-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Also being from Florida - there is nothing you can do.

If I know I am going to be shooting outside in a few hours, I will place my gear (inside the backpack) out on the patio to let it get warm. Because the gear is inside something that is padded with foam, it will act as an insulator and let the heat in slowly.

Then, when my gear is up to the ambient temperature, it won't have problems going in and out of a cool car through the day as long as I put my gear back into the backpack and keep it zipped.

I suppose I should say that I use my camera backpacks as "thermal vestibules" because of the insulation properties of the protective foam.

It works the other way too when I am shooting in cold locations.

A backpack is a great way to prevent the "shocks" of temperature and prevent the radical condensation that can happen when moving in and out of temperature extremes.