Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF of Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 with K5

So I'm close to pulling the trigger on this lens as I could use more reach at times with wildlife etc. I've read several reviews as well as postings regarding this lens and have a good sense of its strengths and weaknesses. It seems this lens can be a little challenged with regards to its AF speed under certain circumstances. Since I just recently jumped on board with a K5, I am wondering if any owners of this lens and K5 have noticed any improvements to AF speed and accuracy either specifically or generally that the K5 brought to this lens.

08-25-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5 + Tamron 70-200 AF speed = sweet. It's not the fastest, but it's a good responder. Barely an image missed with this combination. The trick it to avoid making the lens hunt from infinity to close focus, throwing the focus ring up and down looking for the subject.
08-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
K-5 + Tamron 70-200 AF speed = sweet. It's not the fastest, but it's a good responder. Barely an image missed with this combination. The trick it to avoid making the lens hunt from infinity to close focus, throwing the focus ring up and down looking for the subject.
Ok great...so it does make a difference with this camera. I didn't expect it to be the fastest of course but was hoping for improvements. So do you mean you are manually pre-focusing to prevent lens hunt and letting AF fine tune? Also can give me an idea of what type subjects you have used this combo to capture, that gave you such sweet results. This would be my first real telezoom so just trying to get as complete a picture as I can, previously I had the 55-200mm wr but after 1 outing with that I decided I would sell it because I didn't care much for the IQ at the long end.
08-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's fast, slight slower than sigma's 70-200 OS HSM but well above Pentax's SDM lenses. My only complaint is that it's loud, but for $700, I think the lens I still a steal!

08-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's fast, slight slower than sigma's 70-200 OS HSM but well above Pentax's SDM lenses. My only complaint is that it's loud, but for $700, I think the lens I still a steal!

So you have both? Noise aside (doesn't bother me that much) in general which one do you prefer to use.
08-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I had both at one stage, and I opted for the Tamron for its slight edge on IQ in the wider apertures (which let's face it is why most people buy these hunks of lenses). It's also screwdriven AF, which is not prone to failure like Sigma's HSM (there have been a small number of reported failures). The HSM has faster close focus to infinity focus speed (it's like it has a turbo speed during the operation) but for focusing near where the lens focus already is set, both are quick to respond and lock focus.
08-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
agreed

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It is a steal. To this day one of the most pleasing lenses I've shot when you add up range, versatility, contrast, sharpness wide-open, and that bokeh. And on Pentax, it's stabilized by the body.

The AF even on the K20D was not horrendous, IMO.
08-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I had both at one stage, and I opted for the Tamron for its slight edge on IQ in the wider apertures (which let's face it is why most people buy these hunks of lenses). It's also screwdriven AF, which is not prone to failure like Sigma's HSM (there have been a small number of reported failures). The HSM has faster close focus to infinity focus speed (it's like it has a turbo speed during the operation) but for focusing near where the lens focus already is set, both are quick to respond and lock focus.

That's why my trigger finger is aimed at the tamron, I know that its IQ is quite commendable according to many reviews and image samples I have seen. This would also be my first third party lens so coming from the limiteds, macro wr, and excellent 12-24mm I have a bit of a high expectation for IQ which is why I am willing to overlook some of its shortcomings (which it sounds like the k5 improves on some of those). I consider it a large bonus that the price for this lens is comparably on the low side. I also like the da* offerings but the potential for the SDM to crap out is a definite deal breaker for me, I didn't know HSM lenses also had its problems so that's good to keep in mind.

By the way you didn't say what type of shooting you do with this lens, just to give me an idea. And it does sound like you are doing some prefocusing in order to get a better response out of this lens so I will keep this in mind also.

08-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
It is a steal. To this day one of the most pleasing lenses I've shot when you add up range, versatility, contrast, sharpness wide-open, and that bokeh. And on Pentax, it's stabilized by the body.

The AF even on the K20D was not horrendous, IMO.
Hey you got any links to some of your shots with this particular lens. I have seen some of your pics with other lenses and I like them very much.
08-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Hey you got any links to some of your shots with this particular lens. I have seen some of your pics with other lenses and I like them very much.
You can read through --> this thread for my and other's thoughts on and examples from this lens.

08-26-2011, 04:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now if I could only find one for $700 although $770 ain't too bad either.
08-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #12
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Aside from the sheer weight, I had focus related concerns with this lens too. No doubt it is a very sharp lens, but I opted for the Sigma 50-150 instead. It weighs about a pound less than the Tamron, and the focus is very fast, quiet and accurate -even in low light. And like the Pentax it also has quick shift focus.
08-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Aside from the sheer weight, I had focus related concerns with this lens too. No doubt it is a very sharp lens, but I opted for the Sigma 50-150 instead. It weighs about a pound less than the Tamron, and the focus is very fast, quiet and accurate -even in low light. And like the Pentax it also has quick shift focus.

I do like that lens and quick shift is nice, however at this time I would really like the xtra 75mm reach the 70-200mm offers. The weight is not a huge concern for me either since I will be using this lens under certain circumstances for all others I have my primes.
08-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
I Just baught the sigma 70-200 2.8 for my K5 here in Adelaide for 699.00 Sale on pentax mounts only . got to be the best price any where.

Last edited by wedgetail; 08-26-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: spelling
09-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just got my copy of the Tamron 70-200mm over the weekend and managed a quick few test shots with it yesterday at a wildlife preserve my wife and I stumbled upon on the way to explore a new beach. I love this lens! The AF is very quick with the K5 and quite accurate. Its not as loud as I was expecting at least using it outdoors with ambient noise. The images are very nice, super sharp as others have said. Ok sure its a little on the heavy side relatively speaking but I found it not that difficult to work with hand held even at the full focal length, a monopod would make it even easier. Overall I am very happy with this lens and will be getting a fair amount of use out of it starting this weekend when we go back to the preserve we found and spend several hours there in the morning.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo