Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2007, 02:51 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the info!

People,

I chose the Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO Lanthar. It is already on it's way to Finland as I write this. I'll be shooting quite a lot of insects and other often shy objects so the lens options below 100mm weren't on top of my list. The Lester Dine / Kiron would have been the best bang for the buck, I guess, but what's done is done

Cheers

12-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Boucicaut, seen this thread yet?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/12509-opinion-...zk100-2-a.html ...how are those pix in post #17 for ya?!!!

edit: the Voigtländer 125/2.5 has been 'glued' to my K10D body since I bought it...

Also, the lens works very well w/the Pentax 1.7x AF TC to make for a 212/4.25 lens, with semi-AF from the TC! (granted, add another $400 USD more for that TC, but if you have it already...).
m8o,

Wow, those are extremely nice pics! I hope to be able match those one day.

About teleconverters. I have a chance to get a Sigma EX APO 1.4X TC relatively cheap. Do you think it would work nicely with the Voigtländer? They are both APO so that's a bonus but I have no idea whether 'semi-AF' would be possible or not.

Best regards,
Boucicaut
12-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
People,

I chose the Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO Lanthar. It is already on it's way to Finland as I write this. I'll be shooting quite a lot of insects and other often shy objects so the lens options below 100mm weren't on top of my list. The Lester Dine / Kiron would have been the best bang for the buck, I guess, but what's done is done

Cheers
Congratulations!

Now there is at least two copies in Finland... I got mine two weeks ago. Haven't yet got letter from customs..

I have been very pleased about the Voigtlander performance. I think you will be also.
12-03-2007, 05:09 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xatnep Quote
Congratulations!

Now there is at least two copies in Finland... I got mine two weeks ago. Haven't yet got letter from customs..

I have been very pleased about the Voigtlander performance. I think you will be also.
Thanks! Nice to see yet another Finn here on the Pentax boards

Best regards,
Boucicaut

12-03-2007, 05:43 AM   #20
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
but I have no idea whether 'semi-AF' would be possible or not.
Semi AF will not be possible, the only TC to offer that is the Pentax 1.7x TC because it is an AF Adapter.
12-03-2007, 07:58 AM   #21
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Boucicaut, and got to it before I could. Don't worry about AF too much with macro; manual focus really is best. With the near two complete revolutions of the focusing ring on that lens, you'll be able to dial-in focus like no other lens. The AF TC is useful if you are using the lens as a 'traditional' one, where you have some moving objects (like my dog(s) as an example) that are playing around, you are not too close, and wish to shoot them as focus distance varies quickly.

These all were taken with the lens and Pentax 1.7x AF TC, but manual focus:
Autumn Dogwood album | m8o | Fotki.com

Starting at IMGP7871 [#13] thru IMGP7879 [#19] were taken with the TC using its AF capability.
Best of Nala album | m8o | Fotki.com
12-03-2007, 10:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Semi AF will not be possible, the only TC to offer that is the Pentax 1.7x TC because it is an AF Adapter.
1.7X does not work on macro, giving bizarre focusing.

12-04-2007, 01:09 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Boucicaut, and got to it before I could. Don't worry about AF too much with macro; manual focus really is best. With the near two complete revolutions of the focusing ring on that lens, you'll be able to dial-in focus like no other lens. The AF TC is useful if you are using the lens as a 'traditional' one, where you have some moving objects (like my dog(s) as an example) that are playing around, you are not too close, and wish to shoot them as focus distance varies quickly.

These all were taken with the lens and Pentax 1.7x AF TC, but manual focus:
Autumn Dogwood album | m8o | Fotki.com

Starting at IMGP7871 [#13] thru IMGP7879 [#19] were taken with the TC using its AF capability.
Best of Nala album | m8o | Fotki.com
And & m8o, thanks. Good to know this. Nice doggie there BTW

Best regards,
Boucicaut
12-04-2007, 01:13 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
1.7X does not work on macro, giving bizarre focusing.
You mean it only works when it is used as a normal lens? Strange...

On a side note, I see that you have both the A* 200/4 macro and the Voigtländer 125/2.5. Care to comment on their relative quality?

Best regards,
Boucicaut
12-04-2007, 02:26 AM   #25
Veteran Member

AF 1.7X is not really designed for the macro autofocus. When this is combined with any macro lens, the lens basicly focuses on infinity for some reasons. Only when the macro lenses are used for normal telephoto use, 1.7 tele starts to work normally.

Seriously, A* 200mm macro and Voigtlander 125mm macro are two different macro lenses. Believe it or not, I like the colour and bokeh from Voigtlander macro while A* 200mm macro has a unique image rendering to it.

Nowadays, I really use Voigtlander for non macro shots which is incredibly sharp to use. The colour coming out of this lens is quite staggering.

The manual focusing ring is fantastic, smooth and easy to use. I love it a lot.

A* 200mm macro often is too dark to use. Bumping the ISO is not a great idea which would require a lot of post processing afterwards. I personally dislike flash used on macro work.
12-04-2007, 06:37 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dunno about the Dine but yep to both for the Voigtlander. I wish it had any tripod mount, but that would detract from the beauty of the lens I imagine.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the Voigtlander is the butt-ugliest lens I have ever laid eyes on. Still, you can't fault the results folks get with it, and that's what really counts - It's a superior lens in that way. And yes, I own one
12-04-2007, 06:51 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
AF 1.7X is not really designed for the macro autofocus. When this is combined with any macro lens, the lens basicly focuses on infinity for some reasons. Only when the macro lenses are used for normal telephoto use, 1.7 tele starts to work normally.

Seriously, A* 200mm macro and Voigtlander 125mm macro are two different macro lenses. Believe it or not, I like the colour and bokeh from Voigtlander macro while A* 200mm macro has a unique image rendering to it.

Nowadays, I really use Voigtlander for non macro shots which is incredibly sharp to use. The colour coming out of this lens is quite staggering.

The manual focusing ring is fantastic, smooth and easy to use. I love it a lot.

A* 200mm macro often is too dark to use. Bumping the ISO is not a great idea which would require a lot of post processing afterwards. I personally dislike flash used on macro work.
Absolutely great photos, especially #1, #3 and #4 (being a freshwater ecologist I have a weak spot for waterfalls and watery scenes in general).

I dislike flash on most work, which is why I try get rather fast glass for most focal lengths. The Voigtlander fits this pattern nicely.

Thanks for the input!
Boucicaut