Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you're hell bent on Auto focus for that 85mm you might consider one of the other 85mm options such as the Samyang (and other various badged) 85mm f1:1.4 lenses.

Rokinon / Samyang / Bower 85mm 1.4 Aspherical Lens Reviews - Prime Lenses - Sigma, Tamron, Adaptall and 3rd Party Lens Review Database

It also comes in a Vivitar jacket but that lens for some reason it typically about 20% more than the others. Just saying, worth a look, and may put you under budget and leave you more room for the other lenses.

08-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 8-16 is addictive! it's wiiiiiiiiidddddddeeeeeeeeeeee VERY wide.
My always around kit is composed of my lighting kit (3 flashes,stands,umbrellas...one whole backpack, a big one, for it that i carry always, everywhere...spent an afternoon walking in the mountains with it the other day:P) and the sigma 8-16...i always carry my tammy 28-75, but i do not use it so often. Even my portraits are made with the sigma now. In the center it's sharp, the edges it deforms a bit and is not so sharp, it's slow (usually you have to use it at f8 to produce fine results)...but once you pair it with flashes that does not matter and all you feel is the inmense fun.
A lens like this is unique...and it's got drawbacks...the price you pay for the 8mm it boasts.

And between the sigma 85 and the 77 limited...i think i would go limited.

Good luck with this mad driving task you have! (the limiteds make a nice compact pack that'll be hard to beat).

Oh and about manual flash and shows you're absolutely right...too fast...you can always get a Metz af58...and still get pttl,auto and manual...Flashes are the best bang for the buck, they'll let you use all your lenses at their sweet spot for much less than a top-notch lens. And once you get into manual it's a delight.
08-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I was just going to mention that Jeff !

The Samyang 85/1.4 is amazing value for money at around US$350 and wide open sharper than just about any other 85 ever made (not once stopped down though) !

Options

WA : Sigma 10-20 (not 22) and the older 4-5.6 is considered a better lens than the newer 3.5 / DA 15 Ltd / Pentax 12-24

The Sigma 30/1.4 is an excellent lense (and doesn't have really soft corners as some say - well mine doesn't) and substantially cheaper than the 31 Ltd. However if you don't mind MF (which is hardly MF with CIF on Pentax cameras) then the Contax Zeiss 28/2.8 is the equal of the 31 Ltd at a fraction of it's price - about US$350 - (see thread here : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/154533-shootou...teds-peer.html).

At the long end the 70 & 77 have been mentioned but there is also the Samyang (as mentioned above) and again a Contax Zeiss - the superb 85/1.4 (used ca. US$700) - although a MF lens.

Pick the bones out of that
08-26-2011, 02:21 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
damn you all! Well and truly, you just keep adding more and more choices to an already extensive list hahaha, it doesn't help that I love my primes too! I'll have to give this such a hard long think. My mind is set on the 10-20 sigma over the 12-24 pentax and the 15mm Ltd - mainly because I want that extra reach and the pictures ive seen from this lens are terrific, furthermore the cost difference, i'll be saving $500+. Choices, choices, choices!

Manual focus you say, i've never really done alot of manual focus work per se. Is it one of those things in life where you just have to keep at it and keep practising to become fluent at? I wouldn't mind manual at all for portraits, it's just that in a travel scenario where you're on the move, auto focus is really hand - but then again I've picked either the 31mm ltd or 35mm ltd as my walkabout lens? Would that be a good way to think about it? 31 for travel / walkabout, and 70/77 for portraits?

Last edited by Blitz_; 08-26-2011 at 03:41 AM.
08-26-2011, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blitz_ Quote
damn you all! Well and truly, you just keep adding more and more choices to an already extensive list hahaha, it doesn't help that I love my primes too! I'll have to give this such a hard long think. My mind is set on the 10-20 sigma over the 12-24 pentax and the 15mm Ltd - mainly because I want that extra reach and the pictures ive seen from this lens are terrific, furthermore the cost difference, i'll be saving $500+. Choices, choices, choices!
Good choice - the 12-24 is better but a helluva lot more. Unless you desperately need the constant f3.5 then go for the older (but still in production and available new) f4-5.6 as the IQ is pretty much universally accepted as being better. I think that is probably why Sigma keep it in production.

Manual focus you say, i've never really done alot of manual focus work per se. Is it one of those things in life where you just have to keep at it and keep practising to become fluent at? I wouldn't mind manual at all for portraits, it's just that in a travel scenario where you're on the move, auto focus is really hand - but then again I've picked either the 31mm ltd or 35mm ltd as my walkabout lens? Would that be a good way to think about it? 31 for travel / walkabout, and 70/77 for portraits?
It needs a little practice but there are plenty of great MF shooters on here. It was a little daunting at first but it's not difficult (and my eyes are crap) but with CIF or focus confirmation in the VF, it's a breeze and actually accuracy can sometimes be better than AF ! Don't forget that with lenses from say 10 - 35mm it's easy to hyperfocal, which means your lens is virtually on automatic as everything is in focus from (for example - depends on your fl of course) 5m to infinity. Perfect for travel / landscapes etc. etc.
08-26-2011, 03:30 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ive never heared of this before hahaha, i really must be a newbie! What is this focus confirmation / CIF with manual focus lenses?
08-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #22
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Not my thing, but for what I see the sigma 8-16mm is better then 10-20mm.

For DA40mm you van have a nice little kit. Your choice of lenses is very good, if your use is limited to 77mm and down.

08-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
What about: Sigma 10-22 f4-5.6 + Pentax 35mm f2.8 macro (double as a macro / portrait / walkaround lens?? ) and the Pentax 50-135mm for all my event shows and also a travel walkaround lens?
08-26-2011, 03:48 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Ive never heared of this before hahaha, i really must be a newbie! What is this focus confirmation / CIF with manual focus lenses?

CIF = Catch in Focus. When you switch to manual focus you can use this function (check the K5 manual) by switching it on from the menu (it's C4 -25). Point at your subject, hold down the shutter button and start focusing, when it hits focus the shutter will fire (and not before) !

Focus Confirmation = you can see this in your VF - it is the little green hexagon. When lit it shows you that the subject is in focus. Note however that there is a 'range' (also with AF) so it depends on whether you are focusing from Infinity DOWN to your subject or from minimum focus distance UP to your subject. For each lens one direction will always give sharper shots (and it does vary from lens to lens though for most of mine it is Infinity DOWN to the subject). This is easy to check on the K7/K5 by taking one shot from each direction and then using the side-by-side review mode and zooming in to see which is sharper, do this a few times and you will now be certain which it is.
08-26-2011, 03:55 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote

CIF = Catch in Focus. When you switch to manual focus you can use this function (check the K5 manual) by switching it on from the menu (it's C4 -25). Point at your subject, hold down the shutter button and start focusing, when it hits focus the shutter will fire (and not before) !

Focus Confirmation = you can see this in your VF - it is the little green hexagon. When lit it shows you that the subject is in focus. Note however that there is a 'range' (also with AF) so it depends on whether you are focusing from Infinity DOWN to your subject or from minimum focus distance UP to your subject. For each lens one direction will always give sharper shots (and it does vary from lens to lens though for most of mine it is Infinity DOWN to the subject). This is easy to check on the K7/K5 by taking one shot from each direction and then using the side-by-side review mode and zooming in to see which is sharper, do this a few times and you will now be certain which it is.
Absolutely terrific information there! Sounds like something I'll have to look into more seriously, the cost of a 85mm f.14 is significantly cheaper! I've just done an hour or so of heavy sifting through 50-135 photo's and i'm amazed, coupled with a fast aperture, its another option for me. In all reality, no one can get ahead of themselves when starting out with a new format - eventually i'll get the lenses that are on the wish list but starting small and with the right focal lengths to last me through my travels will be more functional, hence why i'm considering the 50-135. The 10-22 is set in stone, so now its just the one prime to start me off, and then another lens-off with the 50-135 vs another prime! I'm getting there hahaha.

too much time on my hands, $2400 exactly gets me the Sigma 8-16mm + 35mm Pentax macro (is that the one everyone raves on about? or is it the non macro version?) + Pentax 50-135mm. Covers quite the focal distance and includes one prime!

Last edited by Blitz_; 08-26-2011 at 04:17 AM.
08-26-2011, 04:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

The 35? The 35? Sorry but it is not worthy to even polish the lens cap of the FA31
08-26-2011, 04:21 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Absolutely terrific information there! Sounds like something I'll have to look into more seriously, the cost of a 85mm f.14 is significantly cheaper! I've just done an hour or so of heavy sifting through 50-135 photo's and i'm amazed, coupled with a fast aperture, its another option for me. In all reality, no one can get ahead of themselves when starting out with a new format - eventually i'll get the lenses that are on the wish list but starting small and with the right focal lengths to last me through my travels will be more functional, hence why i'm considering the 50-135. The 10-22 is set in stone, so now its just the one prime to start me off, and then another lens-off with the 50-135 vs another prime! I'm getting there hahaha.

too much time on my hands, $2400 exactly gets me the Sigma 8-16mm + 35mm Pentax macro (is that the one everyone raves on about? or is it the non macro version?) + Pentax 50-135mm. Covers quite the focal distance and includes one prime!
Looking at your plans there (and just as importantly intended uses from your opening post) I'd get the Sigma 30/1.4 over the slower 35/macro.

The Sigma 30/1.4 is my go to lens. It is rarely off the camera (well I have just acquired a few more lenses so it might see less action over the next month ) and is fantastic for everything from creative low DoF to landscapes (yes, really - though I do have a dedicated landscape lens to replace that aspect of it's use now). However it really shines for street because of it's ultra-sharpness I can take shots from across the street and, as long as my focus was accurate, crop them to form a full/top body portrait. From what I have read the 35/macro is also extremely sharp and so could replicate that if necessary but that f1.4 to f2.0 is indispensable for low-light and low DoF shooting.
08-26-2011, 04:30 AM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
Only $400AUD where I am as well! So the sigma for a solid all purpose-wall around lens? The focal length is right in the ball park I'm looking for if I go the Sigma 8-16 and Pentax 50-135, price as well. Hahaha you have too much money :P Stop making me jealous saying you keep buying lenses, makes me wish I had my apprenticeship finished and wrapped up.

At the moment its looking like a Sigma 8-16 + (maybe) Sigma 30 f1.4 + Pentax 50-135mm. GASP! Only one Pentax lens, maybe upsetting the purists?

in that case: Sigma 8-16mm + FA31mm + DA70mm = $2400! What would you choose? I've only JUST ordered the K5 and im already loving the whole experience more than I did with my Canon

Last edited by Blitz_; 08-26-2011 at 08:48 AM.
08-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Only $400AUD where I am as well! So the sigma for a solid all purpose-wall around lens? The focal length is right in the ball park I'm looking for if I go the Sigma 8-16 and Pentax 50-135, price as well. Hahaha you have too much money :P Stop making me jealous saying you keep buying lenses, makes me wish I had my apprenticeship finished and wrapped up.

At the moment its looking like a Sigma 8-16 + (maybe) Sigma 30 f1.4 + Pentax 50-135mm. GASP! Only one Pentax lens, maybe upsetting the purists?

in that case: Sigma 8-16mm + FA31mm + DA30mm = $2400! What would you choose? I've only JUST ordered the K5 and im already loving the whole experience more than I did with my Canon
The Sigma 8-16 is a unique lens, not sure it's what you want so I'd do more research / get more opinions if I were you. Can't go wrong with the Sigma 10-20.

Pentax 50-135 has awesome IQ - but does have SDM and is probably the 2nd slowest focusing AF Pentax lens after the 55. Not an issue if you are not shooting fast sports.

The Sigma 30/1.4 is a lens that gets dissed by a lot of people on here ..... most ofwhom have never owned or tried the lens. Those that do seem to fall in love with it - as I did ! It is certainly not heavy (of course it's not a pancake either), it is not soft in the corners (though there is some individual lens variance so make sure you try it out /can exchange it for another if necessary) and it is sharp wide-open (just to dispel some urban myths) but cut-your-throat sharp when stopped down.

Sigma 30/1.4 shots. It is probably the most versatile lens I own.

Landscapes

Middle-Distance

Portraits

I spun around and shot this as he walked past - and just missed focus but it still illustrates the point.

Low DoF

08-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote

Just to clarify... CIF only works with the AF-S focus mode. We aren't switching to manual focus but switching to a manual focus Lens. In the other two focus modes, AF-C and Manual, the camera will take a photo regardless of focus confirmation.