Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #1

Tameron AF70- 300mm

Hi again, just got my used tameron 300mm lens. I have taken a few photos and just wondered what you think?

If I look down the lens from the outside, it looks like a load of scratches not sure what it is, any idea? Can anything be seen on the photos below?

I noticed that my lens don't say DI, just wondered what that ment? Thanks.

Attached Images

08-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The photos don't show scratches on my screen......shoot and enjoy!
Regards!
08-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Looks good
You may find that the Tamrons tend to overexpose at times when in matrix meter mode, try with center weighted and see if it changes.
I have yet to find a bad Tamron.
08-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #4

It's an excellent lens.

My secondhand example has four 3mm scratches on the front element and it's still really sharp. I find the biggest problem is that it tempts me to use the long end and you need lots of light to avoid shake. My tripod sorts that out - I'm just more wobbly than I used to be!

BFN
David

08-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. If only I could take a photo of the lens. It could be fungus or maybe the special coating but I don't know.

Not up on all that stuff.
08-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Inactive Account

DI is optimized for digital (coatings, etc). It is still a full frame lens (the Tamron LD Di 70-300) though. Fungus has two forms that you'll see. One will look like a dark spot with tentacles growing from it, kind of like the spider webbing on a thick piece of broken glass. You may Also see what appears to be a fine cotton like substance that looks exactly Like spider webbing but more loosely assembled. Hold the lens up to a light source and view through from the other end (with the aperture opened all the way). Do so from both ends. If you are seeing what appear to be white lines on the surface of the glass you are most likely looking at cleaning marks (very light scratches in the outer coating). A few or even many aren't too harmful but if the lens is covered with them, it will affect things like contrast. Many Older lenses (mostly predating SLR lenses) have this problem because the coatings were more delicate, IF they were coated at all. If you Really want to scare yourself, shine a flashlight through the lens and look at all the dust inside. If you determine the lens has no fungus and decide to keep the lens, just enjoy it.

By the way. You have a dirty sensor as shown in your pic of the clouds. Towards the center (the U shaped hair) of the photo. If you don't already own one, you next investment is a Rocket Blower.

08-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you jeff, for your help. Well it could be the "fine cotton like substance" but don't know.

I have taken a photo with my point and shot the best I can. Photo taken from the end you place in the camara and upto my light, to try and show what I can see inside the lense.

I did have a full camera clean, so should be ok but could not see anything on the sensor. BTW have a blower but it's not much use at removing dust.

Attached Images

08-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Could be fungus, or dust. Can't really tell from the photos (too blurry). Does your compact have a macro mode on it?

As to the sensor dust.. see the attachment, from your photo. Contrast and brightness adjusted to make it more prominent.

Attached Images

08-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hi jeff, yes, just taken a photo in macro mode. This is really the best I can get it. It's very clear to see.

I don't think I explained myself properly about the dust. I checked the sensor hours ago and no dust could be seen. The photo you show, were taken many hour ago, so should be ok now.

I did the dust removel several times on the camera.

I will have to test on the blue sky when it gets light.
Attached Images

08-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Yeah, That looks like fungus and pretty bad at that or some Very severe cleaning marks. Fungus if on the inside, cleaning marks if on the outside. It may be cleanable if you want to tackle it but if you have the option, you may want to return the lens.

QuoteQuote:
I don't think I explained myself properly about the dust. I checked the sensor hours ago and no dust could be seen. The photo you show, were taken many hour ago, so should be ok now.
Entirely possible. The shaker does work once in awhile

08-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #11

Original Poster
Well I bought that lens off ebay. He said he hardly used it and I even left him good feedback. So it may not be possible to get any money back.

It's definitely on the inside. It's on the second bit of glass from the outside.

The photos in my first post, were to see if anything showed up on this lens. If nothing shows up, then it may be ok but i'm no expert.

How would you go about cleaning it anyway? lenses are very awkward.
08-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Some people say to wrap foil around the bottom to act as a reflective surface and then set the lens (with the aperture wide open) in direct sunlight for a period of time. I've never tried it, I'm not that patient and would typically tear into it to clean it (and sometimes fail to get it back together properly). The lens may in fact perform quite well for you but if you bought, a Clean lens, that isn't what you got. I've had lenses with fungus before, and sold them (with disclosure) and the lenses performed just fine. That type of fungus is usually pretty easy to clean once you get at it. It will involve getting the front element out of the lens which, since I have no experience with the lens, I cannot advise you on. Perhaps someone else can help further with that. You might want to start a new thread in the troubleshooting section. Keep in mind here, it's entirely possible that I'm wrong and that is just a shitload of dust.

08-26-2011, 12:52 AM   #13

You really started something

After seeing these into-the-lens shots I decided to look through mine; it was filthy. On investigation I found that the filth was external, on the front element and the filter which is there to keep it out! Now, having cleaned those I've just got a few internal dust specks which I'll live with. Considering the number of time I've had it to bits, I can't complain about them. . . . and it's still sharp!

BFN
David
08-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks jeff.

I called tamron today and have sent in a photo for more advice.

Tamron don't recommend I try and take the lens apart, as I won't get it working again.

They could clean it if it's cost affective or may say, it should not be a problem.

I may just have to re-sell it and get most of my money back.
08-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I see what looks like strings of hair or fabric on the 3rd photo (4 pieces to be exact). Those can be cleaned off. I do not see any other signs of wear or tear, looks like you got a good copy. Enjoy!