Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Question about close-up lens for Tamron AF 28-200 (71DP)

The old Tamron AF 28-200mm (71DP) has a very annoying 2.1m (6.9ft) closest focus distance. There is a dedicated close-up "lens" available, cut down the closest focus distance into half. Will this using accessory, while making it focus closer, will also make focus to infinity lost?

08-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
yes, it will lose possibility to focus distant objects.
08-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I had that set, didn't use it much, sold it, but not because of any lens deficiencies. Other superzooms focus closer. My DA18-250 or its Tamron twin have a close-focus of 0.45m -- which is one reason I kept the 18-250 and sold the 28-200!

The closeup adapter is a +diopter meniscus, either +0.5dpt or +1dpt, I forget exactly which. A +0.5dpt brings your total focus range to about 1-2m; a +1dpt to about 0.5-1m. There is no way around this. Another tool to bring the close-focus distance closer is to use a macro tube, but that will also cause you to lose distant (infinity) focus. Again, there is no way around this. That's just the reality of optics. Good luck!
08-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I had that set, didn't use it much, sold it, but not because of any lens deficiencies. Other superzooms focus closer. My DA18-250 or its Tamron twin have a close-focus of 0.45m -- which is one reason I kept the 18-250 and sold the 28-200!

The closeup adapter is a +diopter meniscus, either +0.5dpt or +1dpt, I forget exactly which. A +0.5dpt brings your total focus range to about 1-2m; a +1dpt to about 0.5-1m. There is no way around this. Another tool to bring the close-focus distance closer is to use a macro tube, but that will also cause you to lose distant (infinity) focus. Again, there is no way around this. That's just the reality of optics. Good luck!
A week ago I posted about being in the middle of 18-200 & 18-250. Refuse both offers, used the cash on some manuals (again)

I asked this question out of curiosity. This Tamron physically resembles much the FA 28-200. Some even say these lenses are in fact the same. If they are the same, how come that the FA focuses closer?

08-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
This Tamron physically resembles much the FA 28-200. Some even say these lenses are in fact the same. If they are the same, how come that the FA focuses closer?
I've never had the FA so I don't know. I'd guess it's because they're different lenses.
09-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have been looking into this lens too. There are apparently at least 5 different versions. I have also heard the pentax is the same but have no idea which version it is the same as. Some are 71d, 171d, 271d, 371d, 571d. I have found conflicting info as far as which are good though some models are supposed to be pretty good.
09-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I have been looking into this lens too. There are apparently at least 5 different versions. I have also heard the pentax is the same but have no idea which version it is the same as. Some are 71d, 171d, 271d, 371d, 571d. I have found conflicting info as far as which are good though some models are supposed to be pretty good.
Yes, I've look for it too. There is a Tamron version with macro, with that flower icon. That must be the version that Pentax adopt. I borrow the non macro version from a friend a few times, seems good enough on colors, sharp on F5 and up.
09-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I had planned on getting one soon (in fact I have bid on a few but got outbid every time). I haven't seen one go for less than 60$. It's not that I don't want to pay that much but for that price I might as well get one from keh with a warranty. I was a little frustrated with all the versions and was looking at other 28-200 AF lenses (promaster, pentax, sigma). So my impatiens and cheapness got the best of me. I took a deal on a sigma (29$ shipped). If it's in the promised condition and I just don't like it, no big deal (add it to the collection sitting on the shelf). Now to try and find out something about the version I got (there are different versions of the sigma too).

09-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ripit, I had Sigma AF 28-200 LD Asph. IF before, and it performs quite well, close focusing to 50cm. Well, I sold it, and regrets
09-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
ripit, I had Sigma AF 28-200 LD Asph. IF before, and it performs quite well, close focusing to 50cm. Well, I sold it, and regrets
thanks for the info. Do you recall if yours was the older UC model? There are at least 2 versions of this lens (the older 3.8 UC model and a newer 3.5 IF? model). I also get the impression that there is a larger and a compact version of the UC but I don't know for sure. Further there is an all black or a black and silver version of the UC (no idea if there is a difference but the one I got is the silver and black model). I think mine is the compact but I haven't found hardly any info on the full size model. Seems like these may be as ambiguous as the tamrons. Even though the tamrons are suposed to be better, I have high hopes for this one (crossing my fingers), as it seems some models of the sigma are pretty good (or perhaps they very from sample to sample a lot and some samples are pretty good).
09-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mine was the big 72mm filter, DL IF Asph. Hyperzoom Macro F3.5-5.6 without the zoomlock

If I'm not mistaken, zoom lock version is the compact one and newer than mine, while and the UC version is older and not Internal Focusing.
09-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I guess that would mean that there are 3 main versions or more and possibly some sub versions of each version. I defiantly knew mine was not internal focusing. I guess asthetics are a matter of taste but the one I am getting it goes silver black silver black silver black with the last black being a rather hideous flange to contain the front glass. From a functional point of view the flange is probably a good idea, so the whole lens doesn't have to be that big around (72mm filter). When zoomed, there is a long black tube with that hideous flange on the front of the zebra. Honestly I have other lenses that enlarge at the end for a 72mm element, and none seem so ugly as this one. For 29$ shipped though, who cares.
09-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ripit: from the info you gave on my Tokina thread, I think I know that lens you're talking about I watched that one too, but the shipping is high for me, so I dropped it. I also did some searching for that particular UC lens, not much found, I can't be sure if it's the same lens, but there's something here. Maybe my mistake, but I suspected that this version is without an aperture ring, thus all must be set from the camera body?
09-15-2011, 04:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

That is the one I'm thinking it is too, unless there are multiple UC versions. I know there is a silver black and an all black but I have no idea if color is the only difference. He was defiantly padding shipping (only a few dollars for me after negotiating a bit but still 1.5x actual shipping). I didn't really pay atention but yea it doesn't have an aperture ring. That kind of suck but for 29$, if it works well I'm not going to complain. Reviews seem mixed but more good than bad assuming there is only one UC version. I think a lot of people get the versions mixed up when reviewing anyway.