Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 400mm 'A' MF

Got an older Sigma 400mm MF on flea bay. I think it may not have ever been attached to a camera. It was billed as a 'K' mount but I spotted the 'A' in the photo. I couldn't be more excited for $215 delivered. I thought I'd share with others who have LBA. Initial shots look great!

08-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kudos for the smart pickup !! i bought a mint sigma 400 apo lens with case a couple years ago.... shooting at about f8 yielded some fine shots... light enough to use without a tripod... enjoy your sig400..... that extra reach is great for wildlife... also like that you can capture people who are oblivious to you.... natural expressions are priceless... dave m
08-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J-Rod Quote
Got an older Sigma 400mm MF on flea bay. I think it may not have ever been attached to a camera. It was billed as a 'K' mount but I spotted the 'A' in the photo. I couldn't be more excited for $215 delivered. I thought I'd share with others who have LBA. Initial shots look great!
Congrats! One thing to check for is hazing between two of the elements near the front, which unfortunately is somewhat common in that particular lens. It has to do with the cement they used to attach two of the elements together, and over the years it tends to develop, looks like very faint dots as I recall. If you're lucky, the lens won't be affected or it won't be significant. Easiest way to check is shining a flashlight into the lens and looking into it. Even when there is hazing, you can still take pictures with it, but there will be some loss of contrast. Best of luck!
08-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Congrats! One thing to check for is hazing between two of the elements near the front, which unfortunately is somewhat common in that particular lens. It has to do with the cement they used to attach two of the elements together, and over the years it tends to develop, looks like very faint dots as I recall. If you're lucky, the lens won't be affected or it won't be significant. Easiest way to check is shining a flashlight into the lens and looking into it. Even when there is hazing, you can still take pictures with it, but there will be some loss of contrast. Best of luck!
Thanks nater...clear as a bell. I guess I got lucky!

08-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
Got a chance to get out last night. Wouldn't have this shot without the long lens. I'm sold.

08-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #6

I have one too!

I picked one up from a forum member a year or so ago in very nice condition and have been very pleased with it. This was about the time I sold the Sigma 120-400, so I was able to compare results. I would say that it's not as good as the best-of-the-best 400mm primes, but it is pretty good and definitely better than the 120-400 at the long end. At $215, that is very cost-effective!

Mike