Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Olympus/Pentax adapter

So I recently bought a Vivitar 70-205mm off an auction site and it was listed as Pentax, but upon arrival the end cap for the back said Olympus on it.

I tried to quickly see if it was just the wrong end cap, and it seems it is not. But I want to be sure. So included is a photo of its connector. Can anyone confirm this is Olympus?

Also is there a converter for OM to Pentax? Its a really nice lense and in good shape.. I hate to have wasted the money on it.

Thanks in advance for your help

Attached Images

08-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's OM mount. There is no way to adapt it without an optical element because the flange distance on the olympus is shorter to the end of this lens would have to go inside your Pentax camera!
08-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
You say w/o an optical element. are you suggesting a teleconverter? I am not sure I followed that. Sorry... kind of new to my LBA
08-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No I mean, because an optical element would be necessary (and would degrade IQ) that probably no one makes an adapter because it's not worth it.

08-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
That's OM mount. There is no way to adapt it without an optical element because the flange distance on the olympus is shorter to the end of this lens would have to go inside your Pentax camera!
Incorrect sir! The flange distance of Pentax K is 45.46mm. Olympus is 46mm.

Leitax sells a replacement mount for Olympus Zuiko lenses but for most lenses it is not worth it. RioRico will probably be around to tell you how to modify the mount with a Dremel, or just use the search feature.
08-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
RioRico will probably be around to tell you how to modify the mount with a Dremel, or just use the search feature.
Moi? I'm just back home from San Francisco as of a few minutes ago, so you're in luck. (Although that may be disputable.)

Well, I *could* tell how to dremel the OM mount to fit. But I won't. Weighing over 600g, IMHO the 70-205 is too heavy to be safely+securely finessed with my method. Yes, it can be done, but I advise against it. And it's not worth a Leitax kit -- save that for good+expensive lenses. AFAIK there are no other converters.

My recommendation: It was represented as being Pentax, and it ain't. Get a refund.