Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #1

Takumar 85mm 1.8 vs. Samyang 85mm 1.4

kenafein asked me in the Example picture thread why I prefer the Takumar over the Samyang. As I do not like to spam the example picture thread lets answer the question here.

The Samyang 85 F1.4 is a fine lens, but I noticed that in critical lighting situation the contrast & saturation could be higher. I always called it "my beautyful bitch".
With the right lighting it created amazing pictures, but if it was not handled right (by me) the pictures were (sometimes not even) just OK. So I did not feel confident enough with it and decided to let go.

The Takumar, as far I can tell after a few days, seems to be a little bit more "robust" in that manner. It seems to have a little bit more contrast in bad lighting situations and appears in such situation sharper to me.

The Samyang is build nicely but not to be compared with the Takumar. The Takumar is complete mady of metal and has kind of a limited touch.
The Samyang is solid, but I had to exchange my first lens. Due to tolerances there was a high friction when focussing.

The Takumar can not be used with a P-TTL flash (as it is not A-type lens). There the Samyang is definitely in advance. Besides that the Takumar is easy to handle. In my opinion better than M-type lenses, as you do not have to press the green button to measure the exposure. As the aperture is completely set manually, the camera will measure it "correctly". I figured out that I have to set the Camera to approximately +1EV to get a correct exposure and that seems to work fine.

Here some shots of both:

Samyang 85mm 1.4
The last one is kind of an example of for the low contrast I mentioned. I could correct it, but it just not perfect (and I had pictures much worse).

Takumar 85mm 1.8
I only have a few pictures yet...

Last edited by vespats; 08-27-2011 at 09:34 AM.
08-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have been looking for a deal on the Tak 1.8 or 1.9, but they go for a dear price and I have a lot of good portrait lenses. Certainly is a beautiful piece though! You're not helping the LBA. Thanks for the write up.
09-14-2011, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC Takumar 85mm f1.9 vs. Rokinon 85mm f1.4

Since we are talking about almost the same lenses here, let me tell you that after asking around, I purchased the Rokinon (Samyang) 85mm f1.4 because of the "A" that allows for the use of flash and records ttl. The lens is wonderful, I will post pics later. Nevertheless, i got the SMC Takumar 85mm f1.9 and found the lens to be outstanding. It is the right lens for everything, so sharp, so clear, so contrasting, so easy to focus, in other words, so great. I am keeping both lenses because they are right up there. If in doubt, buy both. Someone recommended that, and that is what I did.
Here are samples of the SMC Takumar first, and Rokinon, second (no pp of any kind):

09-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd suggest that the 85/1.8 and 85/1.9 are two very different lenses in their own right...the former being sharper with more PF, and the latter being a little softer wide open with no PF issues.

09-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
I'd suggest that the 85/1.8 and 85/1.9 are two very different lenses in their own right...the former being sharper with more PF, and the latter being a little softer wide open with no PF issues.
I do not have or have used the 85/1.8, so I cannot comment much on it. The SMC Takumar 85/1.9 I have has not shown PF at all.
09-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vespats Quote
The last one is kind of an example of for the low contrast I mentioned.
That's not that bad. What you're seeing is lens flare, I think. If you put on a deeper hood, it might help.
It's an attribute of most 1.4 or faster lenses AFAIK. You should see how washed out the FA50/1.4 can get