Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma super wide 24mm super wide II will not mount to K-x

I just purchased this lens. I can mount it on my SF-10 without a problem, but it stops at a less than fully mounted position on my k-x. Is this a known issue with this lense? Is there a solution?

08-27-2011, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You're probably facing a common issue with some of the "film age" K mount lenses. It's the extra long flange on the mount. The remedy is quite simple, 10 to 15 minutes of saw work. Look here for pointers.
08-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quite strange though...haven't come across this before. My Sigma 24/2.8 AF used to mount without problem. Is it AF or MF version?
08-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It is MF. Thanks for the tip, minihasa.

08-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MF version that I have has a Ricoh pin. My lens has never gotten stuck or not gone on the camera, but the pin did wear a groove in the mount of my old camera.
08-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
MrA

My MF version mounts fine, so there are presumably different versions.
08-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The celebrated Vivitar 28mm often comes with this sort of condition. Never had this Sigma or Vivitar 28, but my Vivitar 28-200 was with the Ricoh Pin, also with the classic symptom of an extended 'film' flange: red dots can be aligned, but will not turn full to lock. 15 minutes for saw work, another 5 for removing the pin

08-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I just purchased this lens. I can mount it on my SF-10 without a problem, but it stops at a less than fully mounted position on my k-x. Is this a known issue with this lense? Is there a solution?
I had a similar glitch with an MF 28mm Tokina, fitted the ME like a charm, but got me frustrated with the K-r. Fitting was possible only by applying significant Godzilla-like powers. But it got me really sweating when I was about to unmount it, just didn't go, was kinda stucked. Really stucked! After half an hour of messig with it and a lot of sweating I found out that removing was possible ONLY by pressing the lens hefty towartds the camera (and pushing the lens-unlock knob simultaneously), then it went off. But this is no-go workflow!

So I went at my dealers where the tech staff was delighted to see a Tokina mount from 1980! They said the old lens was too new, it stucked as the lens bayonett mount was almost unused. They applied some precision machined filing and problem solved! Nirvana. The old MF mounts had larger tolerances than the modern dSLRs have. You might need some fine machine filing to be done on your lens bayonett mount.

Cheers,
D.
08-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@minahasa: +1

@dragra:
it most likely has nothing to do with more or less precision in manufacturing. Beginning of the 1990s, your problem was a common one with many 3rd party lenses designed by reverse engineering of the K and KA mount. These companies saw the actual state only, not knowing which future modifications of the mount Pentax would do.

In this case, the small box with the contacts for the voltage supply for power zooms is blocking. With DSLRs, the same contacts are used for SDM (I think).

I remember I had to return a Sigma mini wide II (28mm) because of this problem. Sigma changed the design after Pentax introduced the Z/PZ series in 1991, which were the first to support Power Zoom.

It is not impossible you have damaged these contacts by using the force you described. You will only find out if you use a SDM lens.

@fuent104:
The SF-10 was from the SF series which did not offer the Power Zoom contacts yet.

Last edited by RKKS08; 08-27-2011 at 03:43 PM.
08-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
@dragra:
it most likely has nothing to do with more or less precision in manufacturing. Beginning of the 1990s, your problem was a common one with many 3rd party lenses designed by reverse engineering of the K and KA mount. These companies saw the actual state only, not knowing which future modifications of the mount Pentax would do.

In this case, the small box with the contacts for the voltage supply for power zooms is blocking. With DSLRs, the same contacts are used for SDM (I think).

I remember I had to return a Sigma mini wide II (28mm) because of this problem. Sigma changed the design after Pentax introduced the Z/PZ series in 1991, which were the first to support Power Zoom.

It is not impossible you have damaged these contacts by using the force you described. You will only find out if you use a SDM lens.
I dunno nothing. I just replicate what the certified Pentax tech has told me.

I'm not worried about damage on camera, cause it jammed only once. Camera was inspected by service, all good.

Last but not least, I don't have any SDM lens and I don't tend to purchase any in the far future. I am a screw lover.
08-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #11

I have Sigma Mini II 28/2.8 Macro and when I first time put it on I used more power than usually do and felt that it was stuck when I tried to take it off - it took some time and extra gray hair before I succeed.
But now it's OK though I did not do anything, just put it on and off several times.
08-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #12

I just received Vivitar 24/2.8 with PK-A/R mount and at first had the same problem - couldn't lock it into right position. I used some force taking a risk and it is just fine.
It appeared to be a very nice lens by the way.
08-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Whatever the problem is, extended flange or Ricoh pin, although applying more turning force might really help, I think removing the unnecessary parts, either the excessive flange, or the pin, or both, will not hurt. At least now the lens won't hurt your camera in any way