Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A little story about my DA*300

I took my 300 to my brothers house because he told me the hummingbirds were going crazy, he was right, they were non stop!
I than mounted my 300 on my K20 to find that the AF was not functioning (I have not used the lens in ..............5 or so months), so I cleaned the contacts on the lens and camera body, NO JOY, I than had a SDM nightmare!
I than swapped the lens to his body (K100DS that I gave him) and there was a slight bit of movement with AF, now i'm figuring it's my camera body so I swap the lens back to my camera.

Now the good bit!

The lens is now functioning but REALLY slow, the more I used it the better and faster it focused.........I started to feel better just knowing that the darn thing worked and I didn't have to send it in for service!

Did anyone else have this problem with this (not mine) lens?

Thanks in advance,
Ray

08-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What was the battery status of your K20?

SDM requires more power than the normal lens.

I would check the battery status of both camera.

Food for thoughts....
08-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Freshly charged OEM battery.

It might have to do with the lens sitting so long without using it?
08-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

My 2 yr old da*300 sometimes sputters or refuses to complete the focus when I have not mounted it for a couple weeks. So far it always starts working after I keep trying it for a few minutes and once working the focus is right on. I am sure it has service in its future but not until it dies completely. In your case, 5 months sounds like a really long time. Giving it a little exercise every week is the same concept but cheaper than having to run a page off an ink jet printer to keep the head from clogging.

08-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks im'

I guess I gotta start using the darn thing more, it's a thing of beauty that needs more use!
08-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a few images (Jpegs OOC, I didn't feel like doing any PP) of the little gals.
There were 4 and 5 at a time and they had some really good "cat fights", but I could not capture more than one at a time because they are so darn fast.

08-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reminder, will have to break mine out more often. Great shots of the hummers.
08-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Is it an issue of storage temperature? That is, is the problem occuring after the is stored in a cold place?

If there is any lubricant inside, it may require some time to reach suitable temperature to have a lower viscosity. Might be too obvious but....

Food for thoughts...

Last edited by hcc; 08-28-2011 at 01:30 AM.
08-27-2011, 11:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I took my 300 to my brothers house because he told me the hummingbirds were going crazy, he was right, they were non stop!
I than mounted my 300 on my K20 to find that the AF was not functioning (I have not used the lens in ..............5 or so months), so I cleaned the contacts on the lens and camera body, NO JOY, I than had a SDM nightmare!
I than swapped the lens to his body (K100DS that I gave him) and there was a slight bit of movement with AF, now i'm figuring it's my camera body so I swap the lens back to my camera.

Now the good bit!

The lens is now functioning but REALLY slow, the more I used it the better and faster it focused.........I started to feel better just knowing that the darn thing worked and I didn't have to send it in for service!

Did anyone else have this problem with this (not mine) lens?

Thanks in advance,
Ray
You may not like this but that was how my DA 17-70 now MF lens started acting up. If your lens is still under warranty, I would send it it in for service. If it's out of warranty, hope to hell that regular use will keep the AF functioning.

Thanks,
09-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a little update.

Went to my brothers house again today to snap some more hummingbirds and the lens worked like a charm, AF was fast and spot on with no quirks.

I'm just wondering if it has to do with the "lube" that Pentax uses, the lens sat for a long time, and now after a couple of long sessions it seems fine.
09-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Actually I think it is now becoming quite well known that quite a few SDM issues are related to lenses that have sat unused for a long time. If I haven't used my *300 for a while (more than 2 weeks) I will get it out and spend 5 mins focussing from close then to infinity and at spots in between (bit like running a car engine when the car's been left standing in the garage for a while). The *300 isn't known for having SDM issues so this simple 'exercise' will hopefully keep it in trim !
09-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm guessing hcc might be right, Pentax might be using a "stiff" lube in the lens if they are using a lube at all.

Does someone want to tear apart their DA 300 to check?
09-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
The *300 isn't known for having SDM issues so this simple 'exercise' will hopefully keep it in trim !
Mine is having SDM problems and its back for servicing. Its a lens i use all the time so it couldn't be the lube.
It can't pass the 1.7m mark and if its above it it just hunts back and forth without locking on. MF is no problem but not handy if you shooting birds
09-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Giving it a little exercise every week is the same concept but cheaper than having to run a page off an ink jet printer to keep the head from clogging.
Except that a lens really shouldn't need such exercise.

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
...Pentax might be using a "stiff" lube in the lens if they are using a lube at all.
I doubt that it is lube related. I suspect that the SDM motor is to blame; that it binds up somehow. It seems like the SDM design can work reliably but is somehow not very robust against tolerances in production and/or usage conditions.

If you still have warranty on the lens, I'd have it repaired. If not, just hope that the SDM won't die completely. Whether "regular exercise" can prevent it, I'm not sure.
09-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I really don't think I'll buy another $1k + sdm lens or a $700+ lens for that matter. The 300 and 200 didn't have a record of these issues as much as the 16-50 and 50-135 had.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Except that a lens really shouldn't need such exercise.

I doubt that it is lube related. I suspect that the SDM motor is to blame; that it binds up somehow. It seems like the SDM design can work reliably but is somehow not very robust against tolerances in production and/or usage conditions.

If you still have warranty on the lens, I'd have it repaired. If not, just hope that the SDM won't die completely. Whether "regular exercise" can prevent it, I'm not sure.
Exactly. For a DA* to be susceptible to this is just diabolical.