Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 03:47 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DirkG Quote
Why I have such and such lenses, or why I keep them ? There is a difference between the impulse to acquire and the decision to retain. Regarding the former, I have bought lenses (and then more lenses) driven by

- an initial total ignorance of what, for me, would be the most useful focal lengths, or other relevant features
- a mild obsession for ever better image quality
- a tendency towards systematicity (like wanting more lenses of a given series if your first purchase in the series is convincing)
- a curiosity for the unusual.

Inevitably, this leads to overkill. Now that I have a better idea of what I find useful, I am downsizing primarily on the basis of image quality (and convenience).
I would have to agree with you here.

I started with a couple of old primes and moved toward fast zooms, with a basic 4 lens kit covering 10-200mm, from 28-200m this was at F2.8. As I added older MF primes my criteria had been only if they were faster at any focal length than my zooms, or any existing primes I had.

This worked realy well, up until I almost tripped over a super tak 85/1.9 at a good price. I already had a Vivitar 85/1.4 ( aka samyang) but bought the lens out of curiosity.

It was only my second M42 lens, (the other being an SMC Tak 35/2 which I bought because I simply could not find a 35/2 in k mount for a price i wanted to pay) but at some point I decided I would put together an M42 kit. It has some unusual but largely fast lenses, including 3 presets with round apertures, an 8 element tak 50/1.4 a helios etc... I stayed away as much as possible from SMC taks to avoid too much similarity to the K& M lenses I had. The M42 kit which is 13 lenses from24-200mm are largely lenses that are a little different, but still fast, it is just easier to use all screw mounts or all K mounts when out shooting.

Having said that, if I go past a lens for less than $30 which I don;t have and looks interesting I will pick it up

09-01-2011, 03:53 AM   #47
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Having said that, if I go past a lens for less than $30 which I don;t have and looks interesting I will pick it up
Right. That's another one to add to my list: an inability to resist a bargain
09-01-2011, 04:00 AM   #48
Veteran Member

My lens-cost rule: If it costs less than a sandwich or hamburger, buy it. If it costs more than a fancy extra-large pizza, think real hard about it. And if it cost more than a good dinner out with your partner, ask about it here!
09-01-2011, 04:18 AM   #49
Pentaxian

some of my bargins include
- vivitar 28/2.5 (M42 mount) $9
- helios 58/2 (M42) $11
- vivitar 24/2 (nikon mount which I converted to K using flanged adaptor) Lens free adaptor $6
- kiron 28/2 (minolta mount which I converted to K using flanged adaptor) Lens $5adaptor $6
- tamron 28/2.5 $12
- smc tak 135/3.5 + 15-30mm focusing helix plus, pentax M42 extension tube kit plus SMC pentax polarizer $35

if the price is there, why not. other <$30 lenses include sigma mini wide 28./2.8 in KA mount, vivitar 28/2.5 in K mount, several M42 and K mount 50&55mm F1.7-F2 lenses .....

like I said, if I don't have it and its cheap, why not. the one thing I can say is that I have shot every one of my lenses (all 45 at present)

The absolute most I have ever paid for a used lens is $350. and it wasn't the super tak 85, but a tamron 200-500F5.6 zoom. I still consider this a bargin, and am still learning how to get the most out of it.

09-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
like I said, if I don't have it and its cheap, why not.
Well now, if it's CHEAP! lenses we're after, I could list a zillion, but that would get tedious. Suffice to say that more than a few costing under US$10 total are in constant use.
09-02-2011, 05:26 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Mamiya 55 f1.4 in M42, cosmetically bad, and mark on front element that i cannot locate, but good pictures, and costs 15usd. The lens needs some cleaning indeed... ;-)
09-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #52
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ok,

So the madness continues.... I received my 60-250mm but the mount was loose so I had to get it exchanged, still waiting for the new copy to arrive. While having to send something back, I thought I might as well exchange the 35mm ltd for the FA 31mm.
I think I am more lost then ever now with the deciding about what lenses to have....
The 15mm ltd is amazing and I am very happy I decided to get that one, I am now leaning towards selling the 50-135mm (to fund some of the 31mm & 60-250mm) and ending up with this lens line-up

DA 15mm ltd
FA 31mm
DA* 60-250mm

Possibly getting the D-FA 50mm macro or D-FA 100mm macro later on (after I have payed off the FA31 so..... some 10 years from now)

Now waiting on pins and needles for my 31mm to arrive....
09-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Silverstierna Quote
Ok,

So the madness continues.... I received my 60-250mm but the mount was loose so I had to get it exchanged, still waiting for the new copy to arrive. While having to send something back, I thought I might as well exchange the 35mm ltd for the FA 31mm.
I think I am more lost then ever now with the deciding about what lenses to have....
The 15mm ltd is amazing and I am very happy I decided to get that one, I am now leaning towards selling the 50-135mm (to fund some of the 31mm & 60-250mm) and ending up with this lens line-up

DA 15mm ltd
FA 31mm
DA* 60-250mm

Possibly getting the D-FA 50mm macro or D-FA 100mm macro later on (after I have payed off the FA31 so..... some 10 years from now)

Now waiting on pins and needles for my 31mm to arrive....
That will work! I could be very happy with that lineup.