Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The trouble with vivitars is they come from so many makers, so there's no definite "the 28mm f2.8 is good" because there are several versions of that lens. I personally have a few Vivitars, I've yet to find a truly bad one. The 28-90 f2.8-3.5 Series 1 was a superbly sharp and well built lens but had problems with coma and ghosting. I have a 135mm f2.8 by Komine that is truly wonderful, except at f2.8 but scary sharp at 3.5! Then there is the modern Cosina 19-35mm, an OK lens with terrible build quality, but IQ was certainly not bad. I've sold the 19-35mm and the 28-90mm and am left with the 135mm, 28mm f2.8 (can't remember manufacturer, Komine agai nI think) and 19mm f3.8. The 19mm prime is the one I've been least impressed by, I feel the zoom was sharper but the prime has much less distortion, and seems to suffer more from contrast loss when pointed at bright light sources.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone should have the 135mm!

An example at f3.5 (sorry it's an Olympus camera though!)

08-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alan Clogwyn Quote
Then there is the modern Cosina 19-35mm, an OK lens with terrible build quality, but IQ was certainly not bad.
The build quality isn't terribly bad on that lens, the build really isn't no different than the budget lenses Pentax and CanIkon are putting out these days. I have the MF version of this lens - its not the sharpest lens out there by a long shot but I strictly use this as a landscape/cityscape lens (really as a "BEATER" lens) where my great sharp glass is not required.

--
08-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll put the disclaimer in there that I'm talking about zooms. If nothing else, there does seem to be a lot of good vivitars out there. Just a personal feeling but it also seems if you gamble you have good chances of getting at least a decent lens (though there are some bad ones). I guess my perspective is skewed by good luck with my purchases though (defanatlly influenced by the low prices I paid for most). I also realize build qualit of the era was pretty good overall but there were limitations like coating technology. My thinking may be a little off right now though as I'm rather aggravated. I had to go out and on the way back, going over the grand island bridge over the Niagara river, I saw this, but the only camera I had was a cheap compact (couldn't even find a card reader for xd card so I had to photograph the tv to show it). It would have been perfect to test a couple of those lenses.
Attached Images

08-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a 1970 vintage 500mm non-mirror lens to play around with. Replacing the mount was tricky, but now I know how to do that. The lens itself delivers great pictures, but I really need a better tripod to make full use of it.

08-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I bought a 1970 vintage 500mm non-mirror lens to play around with. Replacing the mount was tricky, but now I know how to do that. The lens itself delivers great pictures, but I really need a better tripod to make full use of it.
Yea you really need stability to reach way out like that (or a really fast shutter speed). I would imagine shake reduction would help but my DS doesn't have that so I wouldn't know. I assume that you are using a remote shutter release? If not I would strongly recommend one. You can get cheap ir ones off ebay or meritline when they have then on sale for a few dollars.