Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pdxfive Quote
Get started!

This is the first cruise I've ever been on, and I really have no idea what to expect
Beware that some ships aren't oriented toward being able to take photos from the deck. You may want to bring a small stepstool so you can get above any obstacles (and other passengers.) Passengers sometimes stand on the little plastic chair-side tables, which are a good height and fine for holding a beverage, but probably aren't designed to hold a 300lb person. Some ships don't have the same issues; it's very dependent on the ship. With some ships you can walk out on the bow, for example, with a low railing. With others, you can't.

Every trip is different, depending on the weather, etc. The port towns are very touristy, but it's easy to get away to very scenic areas. Again, the optimal activities will somewhat depend on the weather. If you enjoy photography you will want to arrange to be available during sunrise/sunset, and of course while passing particularly scenic areas. You may want to avoid committing to specific port activities until you know the likely weather for the day.

Paul

09-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks again everyone for all the input, I really appreciate it. I have to sell my 55-300 in order to afford this superzoom, and it looks like I could probably get $200+ for it (hopefully) from what I've seen on eBay. I don't see much point in selling the 18-55 because it's a good lens and people are letting them go for $30 or $40, and I don't think it's worth getting rid of at that price. With the $200+ I would make, it looks like I could get either a newish Tamron 18-200 (though the rebate just expired so I don't know about that anymore) or an older Tamron, Promaster or Sigma 28-300. So I just have to figure out if having the 18-28 or 200-300 range is more important to me

On a completely unrelated note, is it just me or are Canon/Nikon lenses cheaper and more plentiful than Pentax lenses?
09-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So I just have to figure out if having the 18-28 or 200-300 range is more important to me
You have 18-28 and 200-300 if you just keep what you have. I really like superzooms, I've bought an 18-250 and an 18-135mm, but there's no way they can replace a 55-300mm, which is a much better telephoto lens. You should stay with what you have and add a superzoom in the future. Don't sell the 55-300mm, that 's my advice.

You have an interchangeable lens camera. The ability to change lenses is its major advantage over a bridge cam.
09-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #19
Pentaxian

On a completely unrelated note, is it just me or are Canon/Nikon lenses cheaper and more plentiful than Pentax lenses?
Well, some of those other brand lenses have no or very limited functionality on new bodies. Pentax has generally been somewhat better in that regard. But Pentax users also seem to have more affinity for older lenses.

Paul

09-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They are more plentiful, sure - they sell about 50 times more camera than Pentax does, so it makes sense that there would be 50 times as many lenses. but overall, there is no significant difference in price. For a lens with a given spec, sometimes the Canon version is cheaper than the others, sometimes the Nikon is, sometimes the Pentax is, but in the long run it all averages out.