Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Is anyone really think that you can transform your kit lens into a 9mm ultrawide?
actually I thnk it is possible to get very close (not perfect) with lens correction formulas, and I think so do the software makers and camera manufacturers, otherwise we would not have lens correction in photo editors
QuoteQuote:
If it was so easy UWA zooms wouldn't cost that much.
this will be the next price drop, cheap UWA with lens correction software, in fact, this was offered as a promotional feature of the 10-17 fisheye when it first came out, so you could correct for the lens if you wanted rectalinear shots, as a low cost alternative compared to the 12-24 lens

09-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I tested the wcon-08 with my 28mm lens; it was not as good as the kit lens at 18mm..
Funny, I did the same, and also tried it on my 24mm too. Neither was as good as the kit at 18mm without adapter. But that's not the point really. The point was to put the adapter on the kit to make it a 14.4mm lens. Since I didn't have a UWA lens at the time it was my only solution to go wider aside from stitching multiple shots together.
Or did I misunderstand what you were saying. Were you saying that the adapter worked better on the kit lens set to 18mm. If so, I agree. Something in the optical formula of the kit made the adapter perform better on it then my standard wide primes.
09-04-2011, 05:56 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The main problem with good quality adapters (Raynox, Olympus) is that they cannot be designed to work well with every lens on the planet. For instance I remember the Oly was just OK with the Canon S2-S3, and the Raynox was the best. It was different with the Sony superzoom of the time, the Raynox was average.

A DSLR lens is designed to work well on its own. It's not made to work well with another piece of curved glass in front of it. The design choices are not the same. So it's no surprise the WA adapters don't work miracles.