Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #46
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but the DA limiteds can come up slightly cheaper than the FA limiteds for only slightly less speed (but even more compactness ).

DA 21/40/70 can't be a bad option to FA 31/43/77, then when funds permit and you can get the K-5 Peter, speed should become less of an issue for handheld photography...

09-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #47
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but the DA limiteds can come up slightly cheaper than the FA limiteds for only slightly less speed (but even more compactness ).

DA 21/40/70 can't be a bad option to FA 31/43/77, then when funds permit and you can get the K-5 Peter, speed should become less of an issue for handheld photography...
yes and no Ash,

I see what you are saying with regards to IQ and size. And that's why my line of thinking is BIG (24+55+100) or small (21+40+70).
The speed itself will become less and less of an issue with newer bodies but the DOF control is still there!
Now on FF I wouldn't really mind f3.2 and f2.8 and f2.4. But on APSC the DOF is quite big!

as for the price, I could sell my current lenses and get the DA ltd trio with few 」s to spare but I'm unsure whether I would be happy with those three lenses, that's why I asked for opinions...
09-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Start out with a 21 ltd and see what you think. If it doesn't get it for you, sell it. If it does, add something in the middle like a 43. I don't think the size gain is worth it on the DA 40 ltd. Its a good lens but it is too redundant in my system so I am going to sell or trade it in the near future. You have had the 43 so you know it is fairly compact. I ended up getting the 21 because all of my good wide options were too large for air travel when space was limited.
09-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FA limited are very nice for sure.
But DA limited are considerably cheaper and quite closely matches FA series (in my opinion).

I chose 40mm over 43mm after a long debate with my consciousness. I just couldn't justify spending $200 more on a similar lens.

09-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
But DA limited are considerably cheaper and quite closely matches FA series (in my opinion).

I chose 40mm over 43mm after a long debate with my consciousness. I just couldn't justify spending $200 more on a similar lens.

I don't debate with my conscience because it may start talking back.
09-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Peter, I dont think you will be happy with the DA limiteds, remember what happened last time you owned a DA limited? You will miss that extra speed sorely on the K-7 if needing to shoot in availible light. Not to mention DOF control!
09-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Peter, I dont think you will be happy with the DA limiteds, remember what happened last time you owned a DA limited? You will miss that extra speed sorely on the K-7 if needing to shoot in availible light. Not to mention DOF control!

Pentax doesn't have anything particularly fast at the 20/21mm range. There is the FA 20/2.8 (and A 20/2.8) and DA 21/3.2 limited or the manual focus M and K 20s which are even slower. However, given he has the FA* 24/2, the 21mm would fill a different roll.
09-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #53
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote

Thanks but I wouldn't quite call DA40 and FA43 similar. I used to own both and the only way they are simillar is on paper, from the moment you start shooting you know the difference. This goes. Both ways through AF (speed and accuracy), sharpness, OOF rendition, colours, CAs, PF...despite only 1 f stop and 3mm paper diference those two lenses are miles apart....

Last edited by axl; 09-02-2011 at 11:53 PM.
09-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #54
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Are you thinking 24/43/77 ?
This did cross my mind but...
Back when I had The Trinity, I'd takke this combination out on ocasion and it would get frustrating. The 24 is annoyingly big when next to those two FA ltds, it's hood arrangement leaves a lot to be desired next to those two FA ltds and most importantly the constant lens changes between 43 and 77 drove me absolutely nuts!
09-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #55
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Pentax doesn't have anything particularly fast at the 20/21mm range. There is the FA 20/2.8 (and A 20/2.8) and DA 21/3.2 limited or the manual focus M and K 20s which are even slower. However, given he has the FA* 24/2, the 21mm would fill a different roll.
Annoyingly (I'd say it's even frustrating!) Pentax doesn't have anything you could call fast between 14 and 31! And that's huge gap!!!
I'd say 17-19 f2 would be nice
There was FA20 on sale in London but with price tag of 」399 it was more than I really wanted to spend.
21 is bit of "I don't know" lens in my mind. It's amazingly small for the FOV but too slow for my taste. I've seen many people praising it but haven't seen shots that would make me go: WOW, that's a lens I'd want!
09-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #56
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that reminder Simon.
True, I sold DA40 for FA43.... And I suppose it would end up the same way this time around, unless I wouldn't keep/get fast 50 of sorts but then I'd be doing 2 line ups (again)...
09-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #57
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't debate with my conscience because it may start talking back.
I made that mistake and now me and my conscience have propper arguments on regular basis when it comes to purchases....
09-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #58
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
To my knowledge here in northern EU, it does not matter whether stuff is marked as a gift or not or what is marked as its price. If the customs want to look at your parcel, you have to have a way to show what you have paid for it (CC receipt, Paypal receipt or something like that) or in other way what it is worth. And gift or no gift, one has to pay according to the value. Not to mention marking an expensive bought item as a cheap gift smells of a fraud, but that's not my business...
In that case your knowledge is wrong...
And I will not comment on the last sentence...
09-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #59
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I thought the issue was the focal length on the FA limiteds. 43 is a little too wide or, not wide enough. 31mm is perfect, but too expensive. 77 is too long and not long enough. Sure, you can use them on crop frame, but they aren't perfect they way they are on film.

That's the problem I have with them. Really need FA limiteds designed for APS-C. I know, I know, we have the DA limiteds, but the focus with their design was to make them small and I would have liked a little more speed, even if the lenses were bigger.
That was indeed the case to extent.
I never quite clicked with 77 in the same way as I did with 50/55 focal lengths. 43 gave a lot of good times but at times felt just too short and once I had K50/1.2 in the house I kept reaching for 43 only when I needed AF. And I never really "saw" 31mm FOV on APSC...unless it comes to people shots. There the 31 feels just spot on for me. And I have to say, I did put the 31 on my K-7 yesterday to take some shots of my son, and then tried my 24 and 55 for similar shots and it was painful! The one lens that I don't see, delivered the best results! And by margin. As good as DA*55 is it simply lacks compare to 31. It's bit more flattering, bit more contrasty and has more DA colours as opposed to very yellowish warmth of 31. All in all even at f1.8 the pictures from 31 just jump out on you from the screen, while the pictures from 55 are just nice....

Reworking FA ltds? Well, 31 is substitute for 43. We'd need 50/1.2 instead of 77 and we'd need like 20/1.4 (ok I'd take 19/2) for 31. Tall order for any maker let alone Pentax in it's current situation/position

Bottom line, thanks all for the input!
I've been slowly but surely answering my questions and reasons with great deal of help from you lot!
Few more pages in here and I'll be able to make a decision for the time being

Shame there isn't more glass with IQ of 31! And as much as many say Mr. Jun Hirikawa designed the best Pentax lenses, I beg to differ. Because 31 is not his baby! But who ever designed it deserves a knighthood! The only lens that equaled it purely for IQ was my "old laughing lady" K50/1.2 (I did try A50/1.2 and the rendition just wasn't the same) but the lack of any automation. Made it challenging lens at best.....
43 came 2nd close and that's why I keep looking back at it despite it's deficiencies.

I'm even thinking of:
24 - normal wide
43 - normal
55 - short tele

Touch overkill but possibly the best solution...

Any opinions?

So the search continues....
09-03-2011, 01:58 AM   #60
Veteran Member

How does someone manage with just 3 lenses?

But I frequently leave the house with 3 lenses and I feel very similar to you. And I rarely use my M135 (like almost never except for one perfect picture of my ex-gf). I feel like it would be better to take a 35mm in between my 24/28 and 50 because those are the focal lengths that I use. Similar to you adding the 43 to your set. Of course now I have the DA15 almost on its way so maybe I'll just take 5 tiny lenses everywhere...