Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I still can't figure out why they didn't label it Limited. And for that matter, why they used blue lettering Green or red would have been more in line with their usual design.

But boy do I like that new lens in my kit!
Blue letters--yeah, that's way too "Samsung"

I totally agree that it's the 'hidden limited.' I use the 100 WR more than the 77 now for portraits. It's really a great lightweight lens, a great short telephoto as well as a macro. Faster focus than the 50-135, and just about the FL I usually used my 50-135 in anyway and crazy sharp.

I pair it up a lot with the DA*55, and I think they have a complementary look.

09-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #32

K-5 just has a $400 rebate today. You may wait few days and check the price.
09-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vodanh1982 Quote
K-5 just has a $400 rebate today. You may wait few days and check the price.
that was a US price drop Axl is in UK
Pentax Europe may duplicate it though
09-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, it isn't as big of a discount as it sounds, since the rebate is off of the MSRP rather than the average current selling price.

09-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #35
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
Have you considered the FA 20-35 F4.0 and selling the 24? Fabulous IQ, light in size and weight. Selling mine was a bad mistake. I often wish I still had it. Problem is they are very hard to find at anything like a reasonable price.
f4 and f2 is HUGE different. If then Tokina 20-35/2.8 would be interesting but it lacks SMC
09-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #36
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that was a US price drop Axl is in UK
Pentax Europe may duplicate it though
unfortunately not yet, and importing from USA is expensive due to tax duty
09-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
unfortunately not yet, and importing from USA is expensive due to tax duty
I don't buy from the US for the same reason, the Canadian Gov't still collects the tax on import and US prices just aren't low enough to import (used lenses can be a different story though as sometimes finding them is easier in the US (like my bronica lenses from KEH)

09-02-2011, 01:04 AM   #38
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well yes, used stuff is different. I had some shipped to me via friend in US who declares it as $10 gift so I UK border agency doesn't charge me anything. Of course we can't insure the parcels but up to certain value I'm happy to take the risk. But to ship 」750 worth camera declared at $10?!? I'm not quite sure about that one
09-02-2011, 02:51 AM   #39
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I don't mean to be mean but we all know the answer to axl's issue is a K5,how many times do I visit here and the problem is not about photography but money.
09-02-2011, 03:53 AM   #40
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by peasant Quote
I don't mean to be mean but we all know the answer to axl's issue is a K5,how many times do I visit here and the problem is not about photography but money.

K-5 is partial answer only. It would allow me better low light shots but it wouldn't reduce the size really.

I'm more and more coming to the conclusion that I had answer in my hands and let it slip away (we really need cry smily):

small, sharp, fast....nuff said
09-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #41
Veteran Member

got to admit I was surprised when you sold off all that kit last year axl (But understand there were good reasons)
the problem always comes in rebuilding
On a new warranty item I wouldn't ship cross border. Warranties don't cross borders unfortunately so effectively you are buying with no warranty ( I know you can get the 1 year international card by requesting it but if UK Pentax is like Canada they will charge an Admin fee for every service under it - $50 here i think)
The only way I avoid the damn taxes on used is like you value under a certain level ($30 here) and shipped through the postal service only. The couriers nail you at any value then add insult to injury with a brokerage fee that sometimes is more than the value of the shipment) learned that lesson and refuse to buy if it can't be shipped postal service low value
Fortunately at the moment Canadian pricing is so close to American on almost all the product it's not an issue. Film is the only thing miles out of whack.
09-02-2011, 06:20 AM   #42
Veteran Member

K-5 is partial answer only. It would allow me better low light shots but it wouldn't reduce the size really.

I'm more and more coming to the conclusion that I had answer in my hands and let it slip away (we really need cry smily):

Are you thinking 24/43/77 ?
09-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #43
Veteran Member

well yes, used stuff is different. I had some shipped to me via friend in US who declares it as $10 gift so I UK border agency doesn't charge me anything.
To my knowledge here in northern EU, it does not matter whether stuff is marked as a gift or not or what is marked as its price. If the customs want to look at your parcel, you have to have a way to show what you have paid for it (CC receipt, Paypal receipt or something like that) or in other way what it is worth. And gift or no gift, one has to pay according to the value. Not to mention marking an expensive bought item as a cheap gift smells of a fraud, but that's not my business...
09-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought the issue was the focal length on the FA limiteds. 43 is a little too wide or, not wide enough. 31mm is perfect, but too expensive. 77 is too long and not long enough. Sure, you can use them on crop frame, but they aren't perfect they way they are on film.

That's the problem I have with them. Really need FA limiteds designed for APS-C. I know, I know, we have the DA limiteds, but the focus with their design was to make them small and I would have liked a little more speed, even if the lenses were bigger.
09-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
f4 and f2 is HUGE different. If then Tokina 20-35/2.8 would be interesting but it lacks SMC
Yes, I had considered the difference between f2 and f4. Just making the suggestion. There are many ways to go.