Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2007, 07:04 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good rationalization for EagleRapids

Hey ER try this:
Pretty soon it will be winter solstice. Dec 22 to be exact. Not only that but there is a Full Moon on the solstice! (well actually it's one day later but we're talking rationalization here and the moon appears full for about 3 days anyway so who's gonna be that anally retentive? so it's one day early) Anyways how often does it happen that there's a full moon on the winter solstice? Not very often I betchya! You NEED to take a good pic of that full moon! You NEED a good lens to take that pic. Therefore you NEED a 400-500 lens! I mean just think! This could be a once-in-a-lifetime experience! It NEEDS to be documented properly!

NaCl(rationalization ain't hard, I've had practice )H2O

12-02-2007, 07:24 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alib99 Quote
Actually, I am curious about one thing.
Is this LBA thing, exists in C&N brands as well?
I know LBA term belongs to us pentaxians but, does it exsist under different names
LBA exists for all SLR/DSLR owners biggest difference you can tell from reading this thread is C&N have way more accessible 'dealers' to get their 'fix' while most Pentaxians need to scour the street corners at night and search online - the bright side is if the urge passes you have a few more $$ in your pocket.

I have an oppertunity to buy a DA* 50-135 with a 10-17 for a good price - have resisted it for two weeks now - I am not out of the woods yet and I still plan to go the LBAA meetings
12-02-2007, 07:27 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hey ER try this:
Pretty soon it will be winter solstice. Dec 22 to be exact. Not only that but there is a Full Moon on the solstice! (well actually it's one day later but we're talking rationalization here and the moon appears full for about 3 days anyway so who's gonna be that anally retentive? so it's one day early) Anyways how often does it happen that there's a full moon on the winter solstice? Not very often I betchya! You NEED to take a good pic of that full moon! You NEED a good lens to take that pic. Therefore you NEED a 400-500 lens! I mean just think! This could be a once-in-a-lifetime experience! It NEEDS to be documented properly!

NaCl(rationalization ain't hard, I've had practice )H2O
Perfect Salty that is the exact thinking that MADE me buy a Bigma and a TC - I mean come on ! how many time does Winter Solstice come around
12-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Perfect Salty that is the exact thinking that MADE me buy a Bigma and a TC - I mean come on ! how many time does Winter Solstice come around
It's perfect Dave! I mean not only winter solstice, but a FULL MOON! Then when the better half goes "What's this?!" in the icicle voice you can explain that it wasn't your fault, but because of the juxtaposition of BOTH the winter solstice and a full moon the Spirits made you do it!

NaCl(I mean, that will work, won't it?)H2O

12-02-2007, 08:21 AM   #35
Veteran Member

You know you're spending waaaayyyyyy too much money in a store when you are on a first name basis with half the store personnel.

NaCl(the upside is that you get to know when good glass is available)H2O
I get Christmas cards from my guy.LOL

I share your pain.
I went once to buy ink, bought the D2H.
Went in to buy a bag, bought an istD.
Went in to buy B&W supplies, bought a D200.
Went in to buy a 50-200, bought a K10D.
When in to buy a Nikon 18-70, bought it AND the 77 ltd silver.

Its not just you.

Dave
12-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #36
Veteran Member

It's perfect Dave! I mean not only winter solstice, but a FULL MOON! Then when the better half goes "What's this?!" in the icicle voice you can explain that it wasn't your fault, but because of the juxtaposition of BOTH the winter solstice and a full moon the Spirits made you do it!

NaCl(I mean, that will work, won't it?)H2O
I am most fortunate with the better half - she is most understanding all it cost me is a trip to Vegas and Mexico (Now we are talking some loooooooooooooong glass there !) If I if work out the cost over per moon shot or per shot period it will amortize nicely, and my accountant seems to think this is a buisness expense so you gotta do what ya gotta do
12-02-2007, 08:50 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Salty,
That is about the most creative rationalization I've ever seen. Mind if I give you a shout when the new bodies hit the stores? I think I'll need your help.

Ken

12-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely!

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Salty,
That is about the most creative rationalization I've ever seen. Mind if I give you a shout when the new bodies hit the stores? I think I'll need your help.

Ken
I'm sure we'll figure something out. Onliest thing is you can't point in my direction if the better half goes "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! What numsquatz came up with that idea?"

NaCl(I just think them up, once you use them, they're yours)H2O
12-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're good Salty, real good:-).
I was back out both days this weekend trying to get ONE good shot of a eagle. Snow mixed with rain both days, today was really miserable. In fact I left today when a big gust of wind damn near blew me off a steep bank into the lake. Snow and rain blowing horizontally, man. But I was there. Only had a couple of flybys of a couple eagles. I was po'ed when I realized I wasn't even zoomed all the way out to 300mm, for crying out loud. I got a great shot of an eagle nabbing a kokanee (silver salmon, landlocked salmon) yesterday, only problem was the camera shake+out of focus. Well really that wasn't that bad since the whole scene of the bird and fish are so tiny that you can't tell it's blurry and out of focus till you blow it up to at least 100%, grrrrrr.
I saw "that guy" again. This time I walked up to him. He barely tolerated me but he did the same thing to me last week. He's shooting a Sony Alpha. This week he had a Tamron 200-500mm f/5.6-6.3 (something like that) with a "Monster" Metz flash. He showed me a bunch of 8x10's he's taken. Nothing special composition wise, but some very nice pictures. Sharp, nice colors, the eagles filled the frame, I'm guessing he cropped some of them but nevertheless, very nice. Worlds ahead of what I've been able to accomplish thus far. But I'm learning, I hope. I don't quit easy. I'll wader up and go out in my pontoon boat if I have to. Of course, if I'd done that today I'd have been blown out into the middle of the lake and died of exposure, I'm sure:-).
12-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
LBA exists for all SLR/DSLR owners biggest difference you can tell from reading this thread is C&N have way more accessible 'dealers' to get their 'fix' while most Pentaxians need to scour the street corners at night and search online - the bright side is if the urge passes you have a few more $$ in your pocket.
Haha thats so true!
12-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #41
Inactive Account

I wish I have your problem! I have so far only seen 2 Pentax lenses (18-55mm and 16-45mm) in a camera shop and that's a record. Usually it is only one - 18-55mm.

I can't wait for my FA 77mm to arrive! Would have arrived ages ago if B&H could get their act together!
12-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSwans Quote
I wish I have your problem! I have so far only seen 2 Pentax lenses (18-55mm and 16-45mm) in a camera shop and that's a record. Usually it is only one - 18-55mm.

I can't wait for my FA 77mm to arrive! Would have arrived ages ago if B&H could get their act together!
I buy almost all of my stuff from samys..
Fortunately I live about 10 minutes from the Pasadena Store and they have a huge inventory of all Pentax bodies and accessories...They have all the lenses in stock...
Digital and Film Photography and Consumer Electronics | samys.com

Come to think of it, this maybe is not a good thing as it has fueled my LBA
12-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #43
Inactive Account

i do most my purchases online.. (recently got me a k10d w/ grip, AF540, Da10-17)
and i really close my eyes when i pass camera stores.. except for those that sell old MF lenses..
with all my stuff now, i think i may go overweight with my handcarry when i go back to the philippines early april.. to think it's only december.. hahahha
12-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Well Chako, the downside of living in the same town as B&H and Adorama is that I get to spend 8.375% more for everything due to sales tax. The upside is that I can open up the box on my way home on the train.

NaCl(the ups and downs of living in NYC)H2O
8.375% is not too bad, I just went to the store and bought a PENTAX SMCP - FA 50MM/1.4 for $219.99 the tax on this was $30.80!! I don't feel bad though, last week the lens was selling for $289 at the same store.

Hey Chako, Henry's has free shippin in Canada until Dec. 16th.

tubadad
12-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #45
Inactive Account

You are evil tubadad.