Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I see this mentioned from time to time but with A series and newer lenses, these lenses are wide open until the shutter fires.
All K mount lenses are wide open until the shutter fires. Only with A series and newer lenses in A-setting you are able to set the f stop in the camera and don't have to use the apeture ring.

I own the K 50 mm 1:1.2 and the FA* 85 mm 1:1.4 which are really great lenses. But when it comes to low light situations I prefer manual focussing because IMO you have better control over the image. I would recommend the K 50 mm 1:1.2 which is not only very sharp but also has a beautiful OOF rendering. Plus the build quality of the K lenses is very solid. The K series is built to last.
The FA* 85 mm has also an exceptional IQ but the focal length is for me of limit use (great for portraits though).

09-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Davidw0815 Quote
All K mount lenses are wide open until the shutter fires. Only with A series and newer lenses in A-setting you are able to set the f stop in the camera and don't have to use the apeture ring.

I own the K 50 mm 1:1.2 and the FA* 85 mm 1:1.4 which are really great lenses. But when it comes to low light situations I prefer manual focussing because IMO you have better control over the image. I would recommend the K 50 mm 1:1.2 which is not only very sharp but also has a beautiful OOF rendering. Plus the build quality of the K lenses is very solid. The K series is built to last.
The FA* 85 mm has also an exceptional IQ but the focal length is for me of limit use (great for portraits though).
Yes I know all this. I have the A 50/1.2. (also a K 28/2, M 50/1.4, M 50/1.7, Tamron 180/2.5 and A 400/5.6 and a plethora of taks) That comment was directed at Wheatfield's comment regarding af not being accurate at wide apertures. While it doesn't apply to A 50/1.2, it does the FA 50/1.4 which auto focuses at f1.4, the FA 47/1.9 at 1.9 etc.

Regarding k and M series lenses, they also don't include aperture information in the exif and only focal length if shake reduction is on and fl is entered manually.

Last edited by Blue; 09-05-2011 at 08:16 PM.
09-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Regarding k and M series lenses, they also don't include aperture information in the exif and only focal length if shake reduction is on and fl is entered manually.
And the latter also applies to A lenses.
[/me returns to lurking]
09-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a Sigma 50/1.4 for sale in the Marketplace for only $450. I haven't used that lens but the reviews are very good.

09-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #35

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all your opinions guys. You have been very helpful! I think I will save up for the DA*55mm. But not rule anything out if a deal pops up (such as the Sigma previously mentioned; though a cheque or two from now haha) My friends don't need Christmas presents anyways

I will buy a cheap new camera toy in the meantime