Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentacon 135mm F2.8 ~ 15 blades = BOKEH MONSTER ~ 6 blades = NOT ?

Okay, I never really in to the 'soft' tone of European glass, but I'm thinking of getting at least one lens. As usual, I'll go price/performance on this, not thinking about breaking my piggybank on Zeiss or Leica. Pentacon 135/2.8, it seems to have quite good reputation, still priced reasonably, and I love bokeh, that's why I'm on to this. I do however can't decide on getting the newer 6 blades with better coatings, or the older 15 blades. Any suggestions (with samples, I hope)?

09-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I love multi-blade presets -- 12 to 18 iris blades are a real turn-on for me. Older coatings can be finessed with a good lens hood. I've been lusting after this Pentacon for awhile. If you don't want it, I'll take it!
09-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

One way to experiment cheaply with more interesting bokeh is to pick up a cheap Helios lens. They're well known for their "twisty" bokeh, and it's quite an appealing effect.

For lenses with a large number of blades you could also try one by Panagor, Spiratone or Accura. I have one of the latter in the mail, 16 blades, and I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do. AFAIK (and double check this on the Panagor), these companies all made a ~16 blade 135mm f./2.8 lens.
09-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the things to consider when deciding between presets and newer lower blade count aperture lenses is that not only is the shape and bokeh different due to the geometric pattern of the aperture but the aperture is located In a different place in the light path. These two changes were necessary to reduce the distance of the linkage but also to reduce the mass and friction, thereby permitting automatic aperture.

So while coatings on newer lenses will be better the bokeh will be considerably different. If you are looking for bokeh go for the preset and manage the light for dealing with the poorer performing coatings