Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2011, 04:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax diaghram coupler question

Quick (probably stupid) question of the day, do all Pentax lens ranges use the lever thing on the back of a lens to control the aperture of the photograph that's finally taken, or do any Pentax ranges close the diaphram drawing power from the contacts without needing the mechanical lever thing?

The way I think about that lever is like this - you set your f stop in camera, and when you take your shot, the information is sent to the lens about the stop you chose and a lever in the camera then pushes the lever on the lens which closes the diaphram and uses the f stop based on the info transmitted through the various electrical points. Is that more or less about right?

Bottom line, building one of these EOS retro reverse adapters for a Pentax is pretty trivial, but that's only true if there's no mechanical lever part to the equation. Just 2 parts of an extension tube with holes and a CAT5 cable connecting the points. But if that mechanical lever is required then I'm stuffed and it aint gonna happen

Cheers

09-02-2011, 04:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes you need the lever to get the aperture to move, as there's no in-lens motor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-02-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thought so. Bugger.
02-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #4

Oc, another one question about aperture coupler actuator:
Could somebody explain me, or (better option) show in the diagram/picture or so,... how the lever works in long lenses?
Thanks for help.

edited

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 02-10-2013 at 02:59 PM.
02-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm guessing the that the aperture mechanism that the lever controls is always to the back of the lens, i.e. near to the camera body, so the lens physical size is never an issue.
02-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Small pedantic note: I'm pretty sure the correct term for what we're talking about is actuator. The coupler is the missing feature in the crippled mount.
02-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #7

Even if the iris wasn't near the end it might not matter. Look at the Auto Extension Tube K 100mm for instance