Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Advice on macro lens

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on a new lens. I would prefer it to be a dedicated macro lens. IE one that does 1:1.

Here is what I have narrowed it down to. The Tamron 90mm 2.8 or the Sigma 105 2.8 The focal lengths are slightly different but close enough I think so make it good in comparison. I read the reviews and people score highly for both of them IQ wise. I know Pentax makes a D/FA? 100 Macro but the price range is out of my budget.

As for focal lengths I am looking into that range to double as a lens to fill in my gap between the 50mm to 135mm. Which I currently have no primes in. So this lens will also have double function. I know the DA 35 Macro is excellent but my DA 35 2.4 serves that range at the moment.

I am leaning towards the Sigma 105 because I eventually plan on getting the DA70 LTD. which might be too close to the Tamron 90mm? Anyone have both and can comment on that?

As for the alternatives like Raynox and extension tubes etc. I currently own a Raynox DCR 250 and many Closeup filters. So I prefer to avoid any more of those.

Lastly is there any other alternatives other than those preferably new and not used?

09-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I only have the Tamron 90mm, but I have seen that the Sigma is sharper wide open than the Tamron. The Tamron is reputed for the bkoeh though.
09-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Tamron is a sharp lens as far as I'm concerned. Sigma also makes a 70mm macro, which is reputed to be very sharp also. It all comes down to focal length preferences. So in your case, the 105 makes more sense, but that's if you want to double the lens up as a portrait/telephoto lens for other purposes.
09-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both the Tamron 90mm Macro and Sigma 105mm macro are AF great lenses. Both are highly recommended by www.photozone.de and many Pentaxians will argue that you cannot get wrong with either.

Your choice is however wide open. There are other macro: the 35mm, 50mm macro, ... There are further some excellent MF macro lenses.

I think that you should also read the following thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152178-draft-article...ml#post1581774

Hope that the comment will help.

Last edited by hcc; 09-02-2011 at 11:43 PM.
09-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
sigma 105 tamron 90 macro - Search Results - PentaxForums.com
09-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Extension tubes are not analogous to teleconverters, as they contain no glass and do not cause optical deterioration.
09-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Extension tubes are not analogous to teleconverters, as they contain no glass and do not cause optical deterioration.
Quite so. Autofocus is not your friend when you get down to the macro range, 1:2 and greater magnification, so a clean inexpensive solution would be A-type macro tubes or deglassed TC's stacked behind your 135. But that doesn't fill your general-purpose lens desire, which an AF macro lens would. I think you'll find that all the AF macro-lens offerings in the 90-105mm range are quite good.

So the question is the same as a Mayan crafts vendor in Antigua Guatemala asked me: HOW MUCH YOU WANNA SPEND? If you have the cash, get one of those AF macros. If you want to spend less, see: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html
09-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
Forum Member

I rock the Tammy 90mm and I love it, gotta be my fav lens!!! It only ever comes off the camera when I'm shooting inside (usually abandoned buildings) and need wide angles

I've not used the sigma, but looking at the reviews, you'd be fine with either really. Get which ever one feels best on the camera and fits your bag.