Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #16
Pentaxian

You´re aware that Taks are M42 mount, therefore you´ll need an adapter to fit it on your camera?

09-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
I now have a line on a near new condition SMC Tak 55mm F1.8 and extensions for $30.00. I'm wondering if I should buy that as well, or just concentrate on the 50mm F1.7. It would be hard to pass on the deal though!
The Tak55/1.8 is a superlative lens, and that is an excellent price. GRAB IT!! As Jonathan Mac wrote, it requires an M42-PK adapter -- or is that one of the 'extensions' you mentioned?
09-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
♦Yeah, the adapter comes with the lens as well (forgot to mention that).

Sounds like a good deal to me. Just not sure if I need it since I already have the 50mm f1.7
09-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #19
Inactive Account

They are different lenses. The Tak is the same optically as the K55 f1.8 (so I've read) and if I wasn't so full of 50s already I would have added one months ago to my collection. I Had the Tak (m42) for awhile but sold it because I'm not too hot on the screw mounts.

Index of /Photos/50mmShootout/PentaxSMCK55f18
Index of /Photos/50mmShootout/M42_Screw_Mounts/SMCTakumar55mmf18

55mm f1.8 SMC Takumar - a set on Flickr
Pentax K55 f1.8 (borrowed) - a set on Flickr

If the adapter is a true Pentax adapter, It alone would cost you $30 or more. The lens can usually be found in the $50 range, a little more if it comes with a camera.

I'd grab it at that price.

09-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Sounds like a good deal to me. Just not sure if I need it since I already have the 50mm f1.7
I'm the wrong person to speechify about 'need' as I recently acquired my 50th Fifty. And I have 5 each of 50mm and 55mm in f/1.7-1.8 from various makers: Chinon, Mamiya, Meyer, Olympus, Pentax, Petri, Ricoh, Yashica. But I can tell you that the M50 and Tak55 are rather different lenses, at least to my fading eyes and worn hands. Different feel and handling, different bokeh and rendering and wide-open performance, that sort of stuff. They just taste different.

Yeah, be careful. Once you have both of those, you'll just want more!

[I may have a chance next week to set out all my Fifty's for a group portrait. Gotta wait for the house to empty for a couple hours...]
09-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I have the M 50mm f/1.7 & the K 55mm f/1.8, and they produce distinct images. The most obvious difference is that the K is colder & sharper, the M is warmer & less sharp. Of the two, I prefer the M as I find the images it produces to have more character.

You don´t need the 55mm, but as an exercise in seeing beyond the simple numbers describing a lens (focal length, max aperture), it´s a good example.
09-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
...You don´t need the 55mm, but as an exercise in seeing beyond the simple numbers describing a lens (focal length, max aperture), it´s a good example.
Also, one of the really great manual focus rings, with a 270 degree sweep. I think these get overlooked because everyone wants an f1.7 or f1.4 lens first, then they want something not so close to that 50mm, and there's no version beyond the basic K mount. But they are fun to use.

09-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #23
Forum Member

awesome awesome shots. This truly is one of the best value primes around.
09-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #24
Inactive Account

wow, those are some nice shots! I shoot film with the same lens, it was my first lens, and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it (unless I luck up on the 1.4 in the same condition or better for a great price). the bokeh you got on the flower shot by the stream is great! very nice. and also, I've been told recently that a good polarizing filter will help with adding contrast to the sky and clouds. I'm on the lookout for one myself, but the good ones seem to cost more than any piece of photo equipment I own thus far, haha.

may I ask where this sculpture garden is? looks very interesting.
09-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. The sculpture garden is in my hometown of Loveland, Colorado. Loveland is VERY art's friendly. The city is known nation wide for its investing in arts and especially sculpture. There is a yearly sculpture festival here that brings people from around the word and many sculptors and foundries are located here.

There's sculptures all over the city (hundreds) not including the ones in the sculpture garden.
09-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #26
Inactive Account

that's very cool, I had no idea! I have driven past Loveland a few times and been to the outlet mall there, but I've never been into town. You just gave me a great reason to do so!
09-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Reversed macro sample

The M50/1.7 is so versatile and does everything right.
09-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice! I've tried mine reversed, but it doesn't get too focused. Are you using extensions as well? Maybe I need to use a tripod as I can't hold it still enough that close in.
09-10-2011, 01:21 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Maybe I need to use a tripod as I can't hold it still enough that close in.
And that is exactly the right answer! Reversed primes are for studio shoots because the working distance is so close -- it's damn hard to accurately work handheld from 2 inches away, as you have discovered. CIF (catch-in-focus) helps if your subject is centered and not crawling away too fast. But a tripod, and maybe a focusing rail, ensure that the camera and focus are steady.

I mentioned reversed primes. Reversed zooms are another story. Depending on the focal range, you can get rather more working distance. My A35-80 is arguably the worst zoom Pentax ever sold, but it's sharp when reversed. At 35mm I can reach ~2:1 magnification at ~5cm / 2in distance; at 80mm it reaches ~1:2 at ~15cm / 6in distance, and can focus to infinity. DA lenses have no aperture rings and are rather useless reversed, but other zooms are worth playing with.
09-10-2011, 05:15 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Nice! I've tried mine reversed, but it doesn't get too focused. Are you using extensions as well? Maybe I need to use a tripod as I can't hold it still enough that close in.
Thanks! I never used tripod for my nature macro shots. The trick is to have steady hands, a good Flash, breath control and most importantly - cooperative subject No, I didn't use extension tube either.