Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

cheap AF 28-200mm

I was hoping someone could recommend a cheap 28-200mm auto focus lens or at least give some input on some of the ones I'm looking at. I have been looking at tamron's, and tokinas. One was supposed to be the same as a pentax 28-200 though I have not seen very many of the actual pentax ones on ebay. That was what I was originally looking at but have lost the info on which one it was ( I think it was the tamron but there is apparently a 3.5-?? and a 3.8-?? version and I'm probably getting some of them confused but I think I have seen more than 2 versions on ebay). I have also seen a few promaster 28-200mm AF lenses and some sigmas on ebay too. So which are cheap but decent for the money lenses?

I would like to stay under 50$ but seeing what they are selling for on ebay, I'm thinking I'll have to go a little higher. They seem to be going for a lot on ebay though (keh had one for about 75$ in ex+ condition but it's gone now and they have 2 bargan grade for under 50$). If its going to cost me 60$+, I would rather just pay a little more and buy from keh. Keh also has a sigma
28-200 F3.8-5.6 SIGMA UC ASPHERICAL (72)(Z, PZ, SF SERIES for about 50$.

can anyone make some recommendations? I'm of course not expecting miracles for the price but would like the best I can get for the money. I do have manual focus 28-200mm and 35-200mm lenses that are very good so I can always use them if I need better glass for something.

Edit: the bargain ones at keh are
28-200 F3.8-5.6 TAMRON ASPHERICAL LD INTERNAL FOCUS SUPER

but I would rather get one in better condition if possible (I'm not in a hurry but I have no idea how fast their stock turns over).

Last edited by ripit; 09-02-2011 at 10:05 PM.
09-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

KEH reputedly sells only mechanically+optically good lenses; cheaper grades are cosmetically deficient only, likely needing just a bit of touch-up with enamel paint or magic marker.

Last year I briefly owned an older Tamron AF AL 28-200 in KAF mount -- bought it for ~US$50, decided it wasn't a challenge to my DA18-250, and sold it for ~US$75 to a member here who seems happy with it. I recall no problems with the 28-200, just that its character was no better nor more interesting than the 18-250 in its range. It didn't suck.

None of my other Tamrons have sucked either. Is that a recommendation?
09-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to have the Tamron XR Di SAT 3 SEP 2011 28-200/3.8-5.6. It was fairly good within it's scope. Fast AF and good IQ. But the general conclusion is that 18-250 better (whether DA or Tamron).
09-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
KEH reputedly sells only mechanically+optically good lenses; cheaper grades are cosmetically deficient only, likely needing just a bit of touch-up with enamel paint or magic marker.
I have been considering getting the bargain grade from keh. Searching on it it seems like a lot get decent lenses but occasionally someone gets one with some issues. Of course now they have a 6 month warranty so you would think they would only send lenses that worked properly. I'm a little worried about glass condition though. They say it takes major damage to to ruin the picture but I have seen first hand how scratches or other damage can turn an excellent lens into an average lens (not sure what it would do to an average lens). Of course it's common for lenses to be described as perfect condition on ebay and be bargain condition (an they are not selling cheap) so thats more reason to go with keh. I might wait and see if they get one that a better grade though.

Last year I briefly owned an older Tamron AF AL 28-200 in KAF mount
I think that's along the lines of what I am looking at so thanks. Was yours a 3.8-5.6? There is also a 3.5-?? but I havent found which is better much less found a 3.5-?? for sale.

Unless there is another 18-250 than the one I am finding, it sells for 5x the price or more so its a bit out of my price range.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I used to have the Tamron XR Di SAT 3 SEP 2011 28-200/3.8-5.6
Likewise, this one seems to sell for a lot more. Is this a newer digital version instead of an older film version?

I have the range well covered with manual lenses if I need better quality so decent is good enough (I just want an auto focus for instances where I won't have time to do it manually like fast moving subjects). I have a 35-200mm 3-4.5 (much faster) that I have high hopes for but its going to be a nightmare conversion. it's minolta mount and if all goes well I'll keep a working aperture control lever.

So does any one know if with the older film version of the tamron 28-200mm 3.8-5.6 if there are different versions (that seems to be the most common but I swear that I saw 2 that looked different in the pic).

Last question. Is any one familiar with the tokina, pentax, sigma or promaster 28-200mm 3.8-5.6? I have to wonder if any are the same lens (I think the tamron and the pentax are the same).

09-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
Last year I briefly owned an older Tamron AF AL 28-200 in KAF mount
I think that's along the lines of what I am looking at so thanks. Was yours a 3.8-5.6?
Yes it was.
09-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple months ago I bought an "LN-" lens from KEH that had a severe left-side decentering problem. I inquired about a replacement, they didn't have one, so I returned it for a refund. However, they refused to refund shipping charges because they claimed the lens tested fine. The customer service rep was actually quite rude to me when I sent a follow-up email. So for now, at least, KEH is on my sh!t list.

This was actually the second time a lens I've received from KEH had optical issues, but the 1st time they refunded my shipping charges.
09-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I picked one up for 45 bux at a pawn shop and I use it a lot, decent lens for me and what I use it for. I found one on Craigslist (70~300) in mint condition barely ever used for (believe it or not) $20. There are deals out there, all you need is lots of patience and not pounce on the first thing you see. At twenty bux this lens is way worth a try and so far I am really loving it for what it can do even though it has its limitations.
Once I collect my fast prime collection up I will be selling theses lenses and just go strictly primes, but as a beginner I am really happy with these lenses.
Another note I also got a Tamron 28~75 lens for twenty bux as well in the deal, this lens is mint condition as well and I will be putting it up for sale soon because I already have a Tamron as mentioned above for 45 bux and it already has that focal range as in 28~200. this is my walk around lens and one day when I pick up a copy of that famous 18~250mm lens that everybody is talking about then that 28~200 will be up on the selling block as well.

09-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From inexpensive "superzooms", I happen to like and still own Tamron 28-200 XR DI... Purchased originally from Cameta Camera (about 4 years ago brand new for $100). For what it is, it focuses quick enough, compact enough, in a decent light it is a very good performer with "close" focusing. Color and image quality is also very very good considering it's range.

I purchased it as alternative to the kit lens (even before K10D was released for sale), and I have no regrets at all. Very good for one-lens travel companion...

Regards,
D
09-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm not in too big of a hurry so I'll see what I run across. I'm always watching ebay for lens deals lately. As far as keh, I have mixed feelings. Doing some searching, it seems like many get decent lenses but a few get the shaft and I don't really feel like eating shipping both ways. Ebay is not any better though. It seems like all the good lenses I have gotten have been super bargains. The expensive ones where I go looking for a specific lens and am willing to pay more always seem to be the ones that turn out bad.
09-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm not in too big of a hurry so I'll see what I run across. ... It seems like all the good lenses I have gotten have been super bargains.
That's how to do it -- just wait for bargains! My eBay lens-acquisition strategy is:

* Bid low.
* Bid often.
* Lose 99% of auctions.
* Don't sweat it, another will be right along.

And they just keep on rolling in. Bargains are good. Accept no substitutes.
09-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I pretty much only buy "Bargain" from KEH. They've had various degrees of external scuffs etc. but always clear glass and good function. Some look almost new.
09-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have scored 4 6$ shipped lenses in the last few weeks. I don't think I have ever got a 2$ lens like some claim to have got but I have gotten a couple of 2 for 7$ deals. If I don't score a deal then I'll probably go with keh (seems at least a little less risky than ebay if I have to pay higher prices).
09-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have scored 4 6$ shipped lenses in the last few weeks. I don't think I have ever got a 2$ lens like some claim to have got but I have gotten a couple of 2 for 7$ deals.
Well, sometimes I round-off prices a little. So when I get 5 projection and cine lenses for US$6 shipped, I call them ONE BUCK EACH! instead of $1.20. And when I got an M42 Sears 4-pack (28/2.8, 55/1.4, 135/2.8, 2x TC) for US$9 shipped, I say they're TWO BUCKS EACH! instead of $2.25. Close enough, eh?

QuoteQuote:
If I don't score a deal then I'll probably go with keh (seems at least a little less risky than ebay if I have to pay higher prices).
I haven't been screwed on more expensive (over US$50) lenses on eBay. Yet. But yeah, KEH will be a lower risk.
09-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I forgot about projection lenses. I have seen them go pretty cheap in lots. I still haven't gotten further than mount conversion. I'm working on one right now but it is not playing nice. The lens might not be as good as I thought either (or it could be that the mount is uneven but I was just running a rough macro trial).
09-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I forgot about projection lenses. I have seen them go pretty cheap in lots. I still haven't gotten further than mount conversion.
Projector lenses (PLs) are a mixed lot, in a variety of formats. Many of the cheap ones are for 8mm or 16mm cine and aren't real useful, with no infinity focus. (Although I've salvaged a few by removing rear elements.) No, I don't need Yet Another Macro Lens.

Most 'miniature' format (135-size) PLs, like from slide projectors, are easy to adapt for bellows. Some even have focusing tubes and need only a simple adaptation, like a cheap PK macro-tube mount. I also glue macro tubes to wider-body PLs like projector zooms perspective-control lenses. I categorize all these as "cheap fun".