Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My copy of the Tamron gives PF in high contrast scenarios also so it is probably the lens.
I keep it around though because it is fairly sharp and the version I have is the one with the macro switch and actually does a good job doubling as a closeup lens.

@Jeffjs could you give some pointers on cleaning up PF as I have LR3 and have not had much success getting rid of the purple.

09-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
@Jeffjs could you give some pointers on cleaning up PF as I have LR3 and have not had much success getting rid of the purple.
I would appreciate that also, since I've also not had much luck with it in Photoshop CS4 and now CS5.
09-04-2011, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #18
Inactive Account

Right now I can't find a photo that has it but it doesn't matter. See the attachments below. In the samples below I used it to change the color of the truck. You would do exactly the same thing to remove fringing. NOTE here that when I say Fringing, I mean all types. PF, CA, etc.

This is for photoshop. I don't know if or how you can do this with Lightroom.

1. Open your image (obviously)

2. Get the Hue/Saturation tool from within the Image>Adjustments menu.

3. Pick the color you want to change (because that's what you are doing here), in this case, it's the reds.

It doesn't matter what color you choose from the menu. You only need to do it to activate the eye dropper. When you do, and pick a color with it, the menu will correct itself.

4. Slide the saturation slider as far to the left as is comfortable to remove that color (use care here, too far and you'll have a Different color of fringing elsewhere).

5. If desired, use the + and - eye droppers to widen or narrow the range of color to desaturate.

With lightroom, I would do as much repair as possible in ACR (which is basically what I think LR is). Fine tune the WB, take some of the blue and magenta out of WB color and tint more toward the yellow and green sides. That will get you pretty far but do this with some care because again, you may end up with other fringing where it didn't exist before. I'll dig out the samples of how I do it with ACR and post them later this evening. The bird photo from my Tamron was done this way. It isn't perfect but for normal viewing, it does pretty well. You also have the HSL (Hue Saturation Luminance) box where you can adjust individually many colors. That will probably get you the furthest.

Attached Images

Last edited by JeffJS; 09-04-2011 at 09:35 AM.
09-04-2011, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #19
Inactive Account

Attempted fix with ACR

You should be able to do this with Lightroom. I think you can get the basics of it by viewing the attachments. Basically what you are looking at is a photo from "The Purple Monster" as someone here called it taken with a K7. Slightly overexposed so the first thing you want to do is fix the exposure and white balance. Then go to the HSL section (see my last post) of ACR/Lightroom and pull the colors down you are trying to correct in the saturation section. You may want to adjust the luminance and hue as well. It won't be perfect, as noted before but you can get it pretty close to what you may want. With Both of these methods, you are going to give up something as well. In this case, it is some of the deep blue sky that was really there that day. You can try and bring some of it back but nothing in this process is free.

Hope that helps.

Attached Images

09-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Here is the same photo fixed with the Photoshop (CS5) method I describe.

Attached Images

09-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #21
Pentaxian

JeffJS,

Thanks for taking the time to post the instructions and images. I tried to use your method on one of my images that I took specifically to induce fringing, but adjusting the saturation of the reds was having too much of an effect on the entire image. Specifically, the red cars in the background of my image were becoming desaturated. Looking back at your instructions now, though, I missed the part about narrowing the color range, so maybe I'll try it again when I get home.

In the meantime, I did redevelop the original RAW image file in Adobe Camera Raw, and was able to removing a lot of the fringing. My original image is below. It was captured with the Sigma 50-150mm at f/2.8, 120mm, ISO 400 on my K-x, handheld at 1/25 sec shutter speed. Click on the image for the full-size, uncropped 12MP image.

Notice the color fringing around all of the over-exposed highlights on the chrome grill. Red fringing is severe on the left side of the grill, with some green fringing on the right side.

And here's a 100% crop from the original, uncorrected image:

As you can see, the fringing was quite severe.

And now, here's the corrected image. Again, click on the image below to open the full image.

And here's the 100% crop of the corrected image:

As you can see, the situation is much improved. I am very happy with the results.

I corrected the fringing using the lens correction part of Adobe Camera Raw. Here's a screen shot showing the settings I used for the corrections on the above image:

I had used the sliders before to attempt to correct fringing, but the drop-down box that says "Defringe" had been set to "Off", so it didn't do much.

I had previously tried to use Photoshop's automatic lens correction tool. The Sigma 50-150mm is one of the lenses in the database, and when I select it, Photoshop does make some corrections for distortion and vignetting. However, the automatic lens correction had no effect on the fringing, even though the tool is supposed to correct CA.
09-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Would agree that the PF you have is the lens.

My Tamron 70-300 produced very similar PF artifacts particularly in reflected bright patched, but also in high contrast fringes. The Pentax 55-300 is yards better with almost no PF of this nature. I would have posted a few simple comparison I did with a friends Pentax and my Tamron before deciding to buy the Pentax, but out of town for a while.

I found the Tamron PF very annoying, but in the right light it produces very pleasing pictures.
09-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
JeffJS,

Thanks for taking the time to post the instructions and images. I tried to use your method on one of my images that I took specifically to induce fringing, but adjusting the saturation of the reds was having too much of an effect on the entire image. Specifically, the red cars in the background of my image were becoming desaturated. Looking back at your instructions now, though, I missed the part about narrowing the color range, so maybe I'll try it again when I get home.

In the meantime, I did redevelop the original RAW image file in Adobe Camera Raw, and was able to removing a lot of the fringing. My original image is below. It was captured with the Sigma 50-150mm at f/2.8, 120mm, ISO 400 on my K-x, handheld at 1/25 sec shutter speed. Click on the image for the full-size, uncropped 12MP image.

Notice the color fringing around all of the over-exposed highlights on the chrome grill. Red fringing is severe on the left side of the grill, with some green fringing on the right side.

And here's a 100% crop from the original, uncorrected image:

As you can see, the fringing was quite severe.

And now, here's the corrected image. Again, click on the image below to open the full image.

And here's the 100% crop of the corrected image:

As you can see, the situation is much improved. I am very happy with the results.

I corrected the fringing using the lens correction part of Adobe Camera Raw. Here's a screen shot showing the settings I used for the corrections on the above image:

I had used the sliders before to attempt to correct fringing, but the drop-down box that says "Defringe" had been set to "Off", so it didn't do much.

I had previously tried to use Photoshop's automatic lens correction tool. The Sigma 50-150mm is one of the lenses in the database, and when I select it, Photoshop does make some corrections for distortion and vignetting. However, the automatic lens correction had no effect on the fringing, even though the tool is supposed to correct CA.
I chose the Reds because that's the color of the truck I was changing the color of in the first set of examples. What you want to do with that method is simply pick the color with the eyedropper that you want to change (desaturate). You can pick any color you want from the menu, it is only done to activate the eyedropper. From there, use the eyedropper to pick the shade of purple you want to get rid if.

ACR CS5 also has the Tamron in the lens database but like your experience, it does very little.

It's not a bad idea to have several tools to work with because there is no one size fits all here. Some methods will work better than others on some photos.

09-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
Might have to go DA 55-300. Hows that ?
Just for you, i went back today and took some shots with the DA55-300. Straight out of camera jpeg`s. One is re-sized and the other is a 100% crop.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:49 PM.
09-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Just for you, i went back today and took some shots with the DA55-300. Straight out of camera jpeg`s. One is re-sized and the other is a 100% crop.
That is awesome! Thank you for testing, going to buy that lens now if I can return the 70-300 to KEH
09-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Like I said. :-)
09-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

@jeffjs, thanks for that great instruction. I believe I have those same controls available in LR3 so I will try to go back and fix a couple of shots from the Tamron that I have.

Much appreciated!
09-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
That is awesome! Thank you for testing, going to buy that lens now if I can return the 70-300 to KEH
55-300 is a good lens with couple limitations. One is the f 5.8 on the long end and the other is the loooong focus throw. Skip the "L" version and get the real deal with quick shift focus, it comes in handy when the lens goes to focus in the "never never" land.

Forgot to mention, it is pretty noisy, it can wake the dead when focusing.
09-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Success! Thanks JeffJS.
Here is a shot of a Great Kiskadee with the Tamron 70-300 I was able to clean up in LR3 by reducing the saturation of Purple.
Before

After

Used saturation control on right side.

Last edited by crewl1; 09-04-2011 at 04:02 PM.
09-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Good stuff! Glad it worked for you..