Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
Inactive Account

SMC Macro Takumar F4

SMC Macro Takumar 50mm F4

Hi everyone here!

I would be curious to know what are your opinions about this lens.

In comparison with the longer and more popular Kiron/Vivitar 105mm, Voigtlander 125mm as well as the Tamron 90mm this lens is quite cheap though there are some people saying that any of the former mentioned competitors would be a better choice. However Takumar lenses about 50mm are usually highly recognized considering for example the results that Carpents found about one year ago (it was the SMC Takumar 50mm F1.4).

So if there is anyone having experiance about this SMC Macro Takumar 50mm F4 then I would be greatful if I could get aquainted with his/her opinion by hoping that I am not the only one who is interested in this - may be not so popular - lens.

Regards and thanks in advance!

12-02-2007, 05:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It has a very sharp center at f4 but a bit soft in the corners. I have the M version. The reason its not so popular is because its slow for a fifty and has a max ratio of 1:2 for macro work (there is a 1:1 version but very rare, expensive and no coating). Definetly purchase if you can get it cheap, i rate it sharper than my 50 1.4 @ competeing apertures.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 12-02-2007 at 04:46 PM.
12-02-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the reasons why I don't have any M42 macro lenses (like the SMC Takumar 50/4) is because you have to use M42 lenses in stop-down mode. At f/8, which is a not atypical shooting aperture for macros, the view is very dark indeed and for me nearly impossible to accurately focus.

So I recommend sticking with bayonet-mount macro lenses.

In the meantime, you can probably leave Betsy a comment on her gallery here and she can tell you about the lens in question!
12-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I have the lens in question. I love it.

I don't do a lot of macro photography, but it's a nice lens when I use it.

Some samples:

12-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buksikoma Quote
SMC Macro Takumar 50mm F4

Hi everyone here!

I would be curious to know what are your opinions about this lens.

In comparison with the longer and more popular Kiron/Vivitar 105mm, Voigtlander 125mm as well as the Tamron 90mm this lens is quite cheap though there are some people saying that any of the former mentioned competitors would be a better choice. However Takumar lenses about 50mm are usually highly recognized considering for example the results that Carpents found about one year ago (it was the SMC Takumar 50mm F1.4).

So if there is anyone having experiance about this SMC Macro Takumar 50mm F4 then I would be greatful if I could get aquainted with his/her opinion by hoping that I am not the only one who is interested in this - may be not so popular - lens.

Regards and thanks in advance!
I've got this lens and can give you some opinions (which are just that). I haven't done any "testing", nor any comparisons to my DFA 100mm macro, nor have I taken it outside much.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
It has very a sharp center at f4 but a bit soft in the corners. I have the M version. The reason its not so popular is because its slow for a fifty and has a max ratio of 1:2 for macro work (there is a 1:1 version but very rare, expensive and no coating). Definetly purchase if you can get it cheap, i rate it sharper than my 50 1.4 @ competeing apertures.
The 1:2 is a drawback, but not so bad for the types of shots I usually take. It is a sharp lens - though I haven't really thought about the sharpness throughout the image (I like shallow dof, so often my corners are oof anyway).
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
One of the reasons why I don't have any M42 macro lenses (like the SMC Takumar 50/4) is because you have to use M42 lenses in stop-down mode. At f/8, which is a not atypical shooting aperture for macros, the view is very dark indeed and for me nearly impossible to accurately focus.

So I recommend sticking with bayonet-mount macro lenses.

In the meantime, you can probably leave Betsy a comment on her gallery here and she can tell you about the lens in question!
Yup - it gets awfully dark awfully fast making it difficult to focus. On the tripod with inanimate objects, it's not so hard to open it up and close it back down, and take a lot of shots, but a little more difficult while on the move. I haven't taken much outside yet so will have to see what I think. I used it a lot to take shots of my sister's jewelry and it performed very well both up close and at a greater distance. With the K10D, the metering also changes as you change the aperature, so you have to be aware of that as you go.

Build-wise it's a beautiful, solid lens - it "feels" really nice.

Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/50 Photo Gallery by betsypdx at pbase.com
12-03-2007, 05:30 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all for the comments, advices and samples!

I've learnt a lot of them.

Regards!
12-03-2007, 06:17 AM   #7
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
Yup - it gets awfully dark awfully fast making it difficult to focus. On the tripod with inanimate objects, it's not so hard to open it up and close it back down, and take a lot of shots, but a little more difficult while on the move. I haven't taken much outside yet so will have to see what I think. I used it a lot to take shots of my sister's jewelry and it performed very well both up close and at a greater distance. With the K10D, the metering also changes as you change the aperature, so you have to be aware of that as you go.

Build-wise it's a beautiful, solid lens - it "feels" really nice.

Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/50 Photo Gallery by betsypdx at pbase.com
The same experience here, a lovely lens to use in a tripod while you are not in a hurry.
12-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
(snip)

The 1:2 is a drawback, but not so bad for the types of shots I usually take. It is a sharp lens - though I haven't really thought about the sharpness throughout the image (I like shallow dof, so often my corners are oof anyway).

(snip)
I agree, its seems better suited to product photography, perhaps even perfect for it now that i think about it. I've tried a fast fifty coupled with a 1:1 tele macro converter back in the film days (it was a canon) and found it was too long to get everything in without standing half way across the room lol. Love your gallery too, really shows the potential of this often overlooked lens.