Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR or Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro

Due to LBA (currently in remission) I am soon going to be selling quite a few prime lenses. I want to pare my collection down to the water resistant lenses ( with very few exceptions for Ltd. lenses I love). I currently have the FA-100mm f/2.8 and I like it a lot but am thinking of changing to the D FA 100mm WR. Has anyone had experience with both of these lenses? If so, I would appreciate your advice. I plan to have only one macro lens so if you have a suggestion for an "all purpose macro" other than one of those mentioned I would appreciate that input as well. Thanks.

09-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The D-FA is a lot more compact and also weather-sealed, so I would upgrade do it unless you need the aperture ring functionality provided by the FA lens (i.e. support for the bellows, extension tubes, etc).

See our review here: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro - Review

While it uses the same optical formula as the FA, the DFA WR version of this macro lens has rounded aperture blades, resulting in nicer bokeh.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
While it uses the same optical formula as the FA, the DFA WR version of this macro lens has rounded aperture blades, resulting in nicer bokeh.
I think Adam meant the DFA and DFA-WR have the same optical formula, differing in the fact that the WR has the rounded blades.

The FA is actually a different optical formula from the two DFA models. The FA also had a focus limiter, which is nice when using the lens as a short telephoto prime. On the other hand, the DFA lenses both have quick-shift focusing, which is also a nice feature to have. This thread got into some of the details and comparisons that might be helpful to you.
09-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jkobleur Quote
I plan to have only one macro lens so if you have a suggestion for an "all purpose macro" other than one of those mentioned I would appreciate that input as well. Thanks.
I went that road recently, and sold my FA50 and K135 to get the DFA 100 WR. I'm quite happy with it and with my decision, I think since most photographers own a fast 50 the 100mm focal length for macro makes a lot of sense. The small size, weight, WR of the DFA WR are all great perks. the bokeh is indeed magnificent, but I couldn't say, so far, if the rounded aperture blades do create a nicer bokeh. I haven't done an exhaustive round of testing about that, however.

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
the DFA lenses both have quick-shift focusing, which is also a nice feature to have.
The quick-shift indeed removes the need for a focus limiter, in my short experience.