Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-07-2011, 02:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are not many if any recent Tamron lens that is worth worrying over.

Those that are good enough to consider are already in K-mount :
ie.
90/2.8 Macro
17-50/2.8
70-200/2.8
28-75/2.8

Sigma is a bit of another story. Their new lenses seem pretty good.
But I stay away from them due to 3 incidents of poor quality.

09-07-2011, 03:44 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tamron's prices for Pentax seem to stay down precisely because they aren't releasing new versions of lenses with VC and in lens motors for Pentax. Seems like that is sort of a win-loss senario. Every time Sigma releases a new version of a lens -- say with OS or, HSM, they jack the price up on the lenses. So, Tamron prices stay down, which is good, but new stuff doesn't appear which is bad.
09-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
There are not many if any recent Tamron lens that is worth worrying over.

Those that are good enough to consider are already in K-mount :
ie.
90/2.8 Macro
17-50/2.8
70-200/2.8
28-75/2.8

Sigma is a bit of another story. Their new lenses seem pretty good.
But I stay away from them due to 3 incidents of poor quality.
Somewhat true for now, but what about the future as lenses are replaced? It doesn't bode well that the lenses specifically designed for APS-C sized sensors (which all current K-mount Pentax cameras have) are not being introduced with a K-mount. Edit: Those are the lenses labeled "Di II."

Tamron lenses that are interesting to some degree but not available in K-mount:
Tamron SP 60mm F/2 Di II LD Macro 1:1
Tamron SP 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD [IF]
Tamron SP 180mm F/3.5 Di LD [IF] Macro 1:1

Worrying because they don't exist, but not as interesting (to me):
Tamron 55-200mm F/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro (Close Focus would be a better label)
Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD (If it were only this I might think that it was just because it was a Vibration Control model, although it is also the first lens with the new Piezo Drive silent focus motor)

Of course Tamron lenses are often made available in Pentax mount later than Canon or Nikon mounts, but some of these lenses have existed for a long time and are still not available as a Pentax mount. When was the last time Tamron made a lens newly available for Pentax cameras?

Last edited by CFWhitman; 09-07-2011 at 09:55 AM.
09-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The build quality of Tamron lenses isn't something to shout about. So it is no loss imo.
It's kind of ironic that you're knocking Tamron for the quality of their lenses, when they have the best warranty in the business. If Pentax lenses are so much more durable and better built, then why does Pentax only warranty them for one year? You would think that with the premium Pentax charges for their lenses, they could afford to support them longer. And how many threads have you seen about a Pentax lens biting the dust, versus threads about Tamron lenses dying a premature death?

09-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I think some are missing the point on this...whether or not Tamron lenses are awesome is irrelevant in this context. What is relevant in my opinion is the lack of 3rd party support for pentax. That speaks to the industries' perception of lack of growth potential with pentax products.
09-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #21
Forum Member

I posted this in another thread, but it's applicable here also.

I sent an email to Tamron regarding their 18-270 PZD and 70-300 USD lenses, and the reply I received was,

"Unfortunately I have not heard of any intentions to release either of those lenses with Pentax mounts. No announcement of intentions for future Pentax lenses have been made at this time."

There are Sony versions of these two lenses, as well as the 60mm F2 macro lens. From Tamron's USA site:

"* Image stabilization is an integrated function of Sony Alpha-mount DSLRs and would conflict lens-based IS. Therefore, the Tamron VC function is omitted from models manufactured for Sony Alpha-mount DSLRs."

Personally, I'm intersted in both of these lenses being available in the Pentax mount. Mostly the 70-300 as I am not a fan of the Pentax 55-300 (noisy autofocus).
09-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
What is relevant in my opinion is the lack of 3rd party support for pentax. That speaks to the industries' perception of lack of growth potential with pentax products.
Not necessarily. It could speak of backroom deals between companies who have an interest in squeezing another company out. Or it could have something to do with licensing disputes, etc. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case, but just that there could be more to the issue than Pentax not being relevant enough for Tamron to bother supporting.

But early in the thread, somebody made that statement that, basically it doesn't matter because Tamron is junk anyway. People who have been happy with their Tamron products don't want to let a statement like that stand without responding.

09-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeremyP Quote
Mostly the 70-300 as I am not a fan of the Pentax 55-300 (noisy autofocus).
I've also contacted them about the 70-300mm in the past, and received a similar reply.
09-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have some Tamrons and they are quite good optically, but I got them for my Nikon.

I have the 28-75mm f/2.8, 90mm f/2.8 macro and the 60mm f/2.0 macro, and they are all terrific. I use the 28-75 regularly, and really love the 60mm, but from what I am hearing the 60mm isn't being made with a Pentax mount.

I have also heard that the 17-50mm f2.8 w/o image stabilization is extremely sharp. And, given the SR in the Pentax, that might be a very good choice.

Last edited by Spodeworld; 09-07-2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling
09-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeremyP Quote
Mostly the 70-300 as I am not a fan of the Pentax 55-300 (noisy autofocus).
Oh, yes. I missed that one. I didn't catch the silent focus drive feature as I was scanning the current lens line-up. That's another one that should be available but isn't.
09-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #26
Forum Member

Another reason why I don't like this trend of Tamron not building Pentax mounts of their new lenses, is if they decide to update some of their existing lenses with the USD autofocus motor (specifically the 70-200 f2.8 and the 28-75 f2.8). I would be really interested in those two lenses (if they ever get made).
02-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #27
Forum Member

This post is a little old, but I didn't want to start a new one containing the same information.

New Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC USD for Canon, Nikon and Sony (the Sony mount does not include VC). Looks like Tamron isn't releasing any new lenses in Pentax mounts.

TAMRON | News | Tamron develops world's first full-size, high-speed standard zoom with built-in image stabilization ? SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A007)e Micro Four Thirds System Standard

Last edited by JeremyP; 02-06-2012 at 07:45 PM.
02-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #28
Veteran Member

That is sad, thanks for the info Jeremy.

Edit: I guess it's a good thing Pentax is coming out with a new DA* in this range.

Last edited by kenafein; 02-06-2012 at 10:41 AM.
02-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #29
Veteran Member

One of the main drawbacks of Pentax is the lower number of modern lenses available for the k-mount. What Pentax should do is give out a free 5 year license to anyone who wants them (with an option to revoke if the lenses they make are so bad it places the k mount into disrepute). We might have plenty of lenses then and when market share comes up, they don't have to offer the free license anymore.
02-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
One of the main drawbacks of Pentax is the lower number of modern lenses available for the k-mount. What Pentax should do is give out a free 5 year license to anyone who wants them (with an option to revoke if the lenses they make are so bad it places the k mount into disrepute). We might have plenty of lenses then and when market share comes up, they don't have to offer the free license anymore.
Interesting idea, but I don't think it will be necessary over the next 2-3 years. Hoya alienated everyone associated with Pentax from what I can find out. There were several cooperative agreements between Pentax and Tamron and other makers prior to Hoya - ALL of them dropped them during the Hoya fiasco of ownership from what I can tell. Hoya fired Pentax's best designers. Now that Ricoh, with vastly more resources, owns Pentax I think we'll see some of those bridges to other companies repaired.

As I have said elsewhere: Ricoh has the resources, we need to give them the time.