Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
dropped lens opinion/suggestion please

hi all, i recently dropped my camera lens about 4 feet onto a stone floor. the filter seemed to take the force of the impact, shattered, and was jammed in to the lens slightly. the lens appears to be in perfect condition (surprisingly), no dents, cracks, or scratches. however; all of my pictures are very over-exposed, i haven't tested how much over just that it is definately over exposing. my question is do i go through a reputable camera shop (glazers in seattle) that will most likely send it out for repair or send it to sigma myself? it is a sigma dc 18-50mm f2.8 ex and i really like it.
thanks, kj

09-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Recently I had the same thing happen and I could not unscrew the filter. I sent it to Eric and it was good as new. The lens was a Tamron. Eric is great.
09-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
i should add: i did get the filter off.
09-07-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kjacks Quote
...... however; all of my pictures are very over-exposed, i haven't tested how much over just that it is definately over exposing. .....
thanks, kj
Something damaged in the apeture mechanism? ie it is not closing down properly during the shot.
You're extremely lucky the glass appears Ok.

If its not under warranty then I would deal directly with a repairer if you can find a good one. If you send it to Sigma they might send it all around the world and it may sit in a queue of warranty repairs and you may not see it again for a while.
If it is still in warranty you might want to check with the repairer that him/her working on it will still be OK and not void the factory warranty.
I am expecting that repairs due to dropping the lens is not covered under warranty.

I should add that I've never had any repair experiences (or ever dropped a lens), that's just what I would do given your current situation.

09-07-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Sigma repairs are fast but not that reliable in my experience, sadly. If you find a reputable repair shop around (for instance, there are two in Quebec city) then you will get better service at a better price. On the other hand, since you're in the US, shipping to Eric would be inexpensive and you would be sure to get the best service at a great price.
09-07-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd either send it to Sigma or Eric Hendrickson.
09-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
yes, aperture problem was my guess. when i look into the lens all of the blades look aligned properly but something must be damaged.
09-08-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If all of your photos are overexposed, one of 3 things is happening.

1. The Aperture cannot stop down at all.
2. The Aperture isn't stopping down enough.
3. The Camera doesn't know how far to move the aperture lever so it is treating the lens as an M lens and not moving the aperture at all.

If the aperture appears Mechanically to be working fine, then 3 is the best bet. Some electronic failure within the lens (assuming you've tested the camera with another lens and verified it to be fine). If the lens has an aperture ring, Take it off of the A position to some other aperture (f8 for instance) and put the camera in to M mode. Don't forget to set Use Aperture Ring to Permitted in your custom menu. Set your shutter speed as normal and press the green button (or whatever button you have set for stop down metering). Then take your photo. If it is properly exposed Then, this would tend to verify option 3 above. Time for a trip to service.

09-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for the input, guess its off for repair.
09-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I looked into sending my under-warranty sigma lenses for calibration and in the US, they have three authorized repair centers
a) Sigma corporate in Ronkonkoma, NY (thankfully, right in my state)
b) C.R.I.S. in Chandler, AZ
c) CRJ in Duluth, GA

As all three are authorized repair centers, you can send it to whichever you feel most comfortable with. I would call whichever you chose to use to determine likely turn-around times and possible cost of repairs.

Best of luck!