Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should the zoom ring on my 60-250 be this tight

I've only had it for three weeks and if I want to return it I have to do so by the end of the week. The zoom ring is considerably tighter than the focus ring and is not as smooth as I would think a lens that costs this much should feel. I have a Sigma 50-150 and a Tamron 70-200 and used to have a 55-300 and can operate all of these with one finger from the monopod but this one requires a thumb and forefinger to operate.

09-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kwar Quote
I've only had it for three weeks and if I want to return it I have to do so by the end of the week. The zoom ring is considerably tighter than the focus ring and is not as smooth as I would think a lens that costs this much should feel. I have a Sigma 50-150 and a Tamron 70-200 and used to have a 55-300 and can operate all of these with one finger from the monopod but this one requires a thumb and forefinger to operate.
The zoom ring on the 60-250 is stiffer than the DA*50-135, Sigma 50-150, Tamron 70-200 and DA55-300. I've had two different copies of the 60-250, and both were stiffer than any of those lenses. Moving the zoom with a single finger would be very difficult with the 60-250. Keep in mind, the 50-135, 50-150 and 70-200 are all internal zooming lenses while the 60-250 is not. This, combined with the fact that the 60-250 is weather sealed, means that the zoom ring is going to be a bit stiffer.
09-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

It's probably the way it is supposed to be. The zoom ring on mine is much tighter than the focus ring (which has no feel at all), and has a couple of spots where it feels like the zoom helicoid is handing off to another one. It isn't notchy like as if there is something jammed, but there are a couple of spots where it isn't quite smooth.
Mine has had an all expenses paid trip to Japan for SDM failure, so I'm as certain as I can be that it's the way it is supposed to be, since it has had factory service.
09-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the DA 60-250 doesn't zoom internally, you're moving a lot of weight when using the zoom ring. As such, the added pressure is normal. You'd experience the same thing with lenses such as the Sigma 50-500mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery
On the bright side, it is so tight that it doesn't creep.
09-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies

It takes great soccer shots so I guess I'll keep it and start a workout program for my fingers. I'll have to anticipate my shots better. I think it might need a silicone sleeve over it to aid in cold weather grip but I'm not going to tell anyone where I found it.
09-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Banned

It takes great soccer shots so I guess I'll keep it and start a workout program for my fingers. I'll have to anticipate my shots better. I think it might need a silicone sleeve over it to aid in cold weather grip but I'm not going to tell anyone where I found it.
Maybe some shots in K-5 sportspictures thread?

Curious about what you are talking about? You can also pm it.

09-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think it might need a silicone sleeve over it to aid in cold weather grip but I'm not going to tell anyone where I found it.
I sure hope that "silicone sleeve" wouldn't happen to be ribbed for your, er, photographic pleasure...
09-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I sure hope that "silicone sleeve" wouldn't happen to be ribbed for your, er, photographic pleasure...
That was my first thought, mostly because of the OP's comment about "not telling anyone where he found it" comment. I really hope we're wrong
09-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I really hope we're wrong
The more I think about it though, the more I think he may actually be on to something. Just imagine...instant weather-proofing for all your lenses (as long as your lens isn't too "girthy"). Although your wife may not buy your excuse when she finds all of your weatherproofing supplies in your camera bag!