Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Sigma have stated that they tried to offer the equivalent of 70-200 FF lenses on APS-C (-> ~50-135) but that APS-C customers still went for the classic 70-200mm lenses.
It's understandable. If a 100-300mm f/2.8 existed, I'm pretty sure FF users would go for that instead of the 70-200. The 50-135 is nice but it's a portrait range. For sports most of the time you prefer a bit more reach if possible.

09-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The 50-135 is nice but it's a portrait range. For sports most of the time you prefer a bit more reach if possible.
True, but on APS-C 70mm can be rather tight at times. I often use my 50-150mm indoors at school and performance events for my daughters, and in such conditions I'm very glad that it goes to 50mm, as 70mm would be too constricting sometimes. But ultimately the thing that for me separates the 50-150mm and the 70-200mm's is the physical size. While the 50-150mm is not much bigger than the average 300mm consumer zoom lens, the 70-200mm is just a beast.

And the really strange part is that they didn't just ditch the 50-150mm range. They introduced a new 50-150mm f/2.8 that's slightly bigger than some of the 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses. What were they thinking???
02-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I only use Pentax zooms since I don't want to get confused with the way the zoom ring/focus ring rotates (it works different on Sigma lenses that go the other way around like Canon's)

and I agree that most Pentax lenses are (at least the new ones) are a bit too pricey.
02-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
On Leica forums instead of Sigma or Tamron and Tokina we have Zeiss and Voigtlander and Hexanon - the hexanon series of lenses from konica copping the most flak.
...and, if you factor in the LTM stuff, Canon, Nikon, and all the FSU lenses with the FSU lenses getting the least respect!

Steve

02-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I was actually collared by a guy at a show last year.. he had a new Canon and was being pressured by his father to get only Canon equipment, but, he was on a tight budget, obviously his father was not. He talk to me for 20 minutes after seeing the Tamron 90 macro on Tess' K-x. He actually wrote down the third party lenses I recommended because he couldn't find that kind of info in the Canon community. Go figure.
02-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I really like the actual Pentax lenses I own. I think they seem a bit sharper than the non-Pentax lenses I have, but that's not to say I don't have non-Pentax lenses that I've come to like too. I do. Whatever works. I'm in a town with almost no Pentax presence. Can't even hardly buy any used gear here, let alone new. I go into a pawn shop or the one camera repair place here looking for older Pentax glass and I practically get sneered at. In a lot of years of looking at the thrifts and the flea markets here I've found 3 lenses and two bodies. I've seen maybe 30 cameras listed over the years on CL but always they're way overpriced and usually in the area but not actually in my town. It would be a lot easier for me not to be a Pentaxian, shrug. I don't believe in being snotty about gear. I use whatever works and darn the critics. They're not the ones trying to use my gear so screw em...
02-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #37
Site Supporter

This thread made me consider my current lens lineup. You know, I think I am a pentax fanboy! I do own some 3rd Party glass (and am currently bidding for an old Revuenon on the Bay), but most of the unholy amount of money I spent on my hobby went to Pentax.

But somehow this does not make me dis every other brand out there.Why should it? I love the limiteds, Their build, their design, their size and the pixy dust. But I have to agree when someone points out that the first three qualities might be of secondary importance and the last somewhere between my imagination and personal taste. Still, I have fun shooting with this lenses and if someone else has more fun with a Sigma,this doesn't dimish my enjoyment in the slightest.
02-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I started with a Sigma 17-70mm zoom and the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye (never had a kit lens), and have owned lenses by Tokina and Tamron and Zeiss as well. Part of this is price, but also the fact that Pentax doesn't make all the lenses I'd like to use/try/own.

There are plenty of reviews and sample images even right here on this forum, so why not shop 3rd party?

I guess Pentax lenses are my choice for primes, and Tamron for the non-fishy zooms, but now I'm back to Sigma for the very long end (500mm). When I shot Canon, I didn't know anything about lens performance (or what I wanted the lens to do for me), so I figured if it had an "L" on the label, it was the best lens. Not always the case...

02-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Quality and function seem to be the defining characteristics here. It all flows from the fact that each and every member here is self-selected into a group that doesn't cowtow to BRAND name. By definition Pentaxians made one initial choice to go with something that is not popular, and most did so for some specific feature, function, or group of them that were superior to the alternatives. This attitude just extends to lenses as well, naturally.
02-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #40
Veteran Member

This is what I think happened:

Pentaxians are more open to third party manufacturers is because Pentax doesn't provide enough lenses (eg 8mm UWA or even 10mm rectilinears, and the super telephoto where people flocked to the bigma). Most modern Pentax lenses are more expensive compared to equivalent lenses made by other manufacturers (case in point: sigma 17-50 vs pentax 16-50, sigma 85 vs pentax 77, pentax da 35 2.4 vs other 35 1.8). As a result Pentaxians are forced to look for alternatives from other manufacturers. This actually turns out for the better because Sigma et al., are really producing quality lenses to rival Canon/Nikon/Petax lineups ( disclaimer: no first hand experience just from what I've read in reviews). So due to being forced to try other lenses pentaxians realise theyre not bad but actually quite good. Canikians on the other hand are spoiled for choice, they don't have to look at other makes to fill gaps and so are more averse to third party manufacturers, since they've never actually tried them and the ones they have actually tried are the cheap ones that aren't any good, so they don't buy the good ones.
-or-
(please don't shoot me, just putting it out there, dont read if easily offended)
--highlight to read--
Its possible that while Pentax lenses are on par or slightly bettered by third party manufacturers, the case is not the same for the other two. (no evidence to support this)
--end--

Having said that until Sigma makes weather sealed lenses I'll probably stick to pentax lenses anyway.
02-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Or how much those would weigh
Sigma 120-300 f2.8.
3 kilos.
02-07-2012, 03:19 AM   #42
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Someone who chose Pentax as a brand instead of going with one of the big two like everyone else, is probably more eclectic about lens choices as well.

One opinion often puzzles me though. It is the idea that "Pentax is a bad choice if you need longer focal lengths as the longest focal length they offer is 300mm". These people argue as if a Pentax camera would explode if you mounted any of the longer than 300mm third party lenses on it.

You'll also find Pentax lens fanboys on this forum but there are many who understand that Sigma and Tamron are often not only attractive because of their prices but because they produce some fantastic lenses. A statement like "Pentax DA lenses are generally all very good, better than rival lenses from Tamron and Sigma" is most certainly wrong.

I'm personally not too much into pancakes or lenses that prioritise size over IQ and think that most of Pentax's best lenses are no longer produced. I hope that Ricoh will steer Pentax back to past glory by offering (potentially updated) classics like an 85/1.4 again.
I cannot think why I would need anything longer than the Rubinar 1000, which fits fine on the front of K100DS. So what is the problem with the length of lenses. And the other thing about this site, it is obviously filled with enthusiasts and photographers, not Pentax employees. We sing the virtues of legacy kit, for which we pay, but Pentax willl never again earn a cent.
02-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Who knows? One of the members here might be a Pentax employee.

I hope.
02-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #44
Site Supporter

I only have Pentax lenses and for me there is no reason to ever buy third party glass.
Pentax has a huge selection of FF m42 and k-mount lenses from 15mm to 2000mm.
I only buy used lenses, so the prices are not that bad considering the cost of a “new” lens.

Phil.
02-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #45

I can only speak for myself, but I was indoctrinated into Pentax and third party lenses by my Dad who got me two Film SLRs growing up. He got a deal on a Tamron 28-80 for my zx10, which I still have.

I always look at the third party lens reviews, but have decided on Pentax lenses in the end for my recent purchases.