Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I am amazed on the variety of lenses in use and even recommended by the experience here, It's refreshing because when I started out I bought based on needs and budget and found alot of my Off brand lenses worked just fine.
Someone who chose Pentax as a brand instead of going with one of the big two like everyone else, is probably more eclectic about lens choices as well.

One opinion often puzzles me though. It is the idea that "Pentax is a bad choice if you need longer focal lengths as the longest focal length they offer is 300mm". These people argue as if a Pentax camera would explode if you mounted any of the longer than 300mm third party lenses on it.

You'll also find Pentax lens fanboys on this forum but there are many who understand that Sigma and Tamron are often not only attractive because of their prices but because they produce some fantastic lenses. A statement like "Pentax DA lenses are generally all very good, better than rival lenses from Tamron and Sigma" is most certainly wrong.

I'm personally not too much into pancakes or lenses that prioritise size over IQ and think that most of Pentax's best lenses are no longer produced. I hope that Ricoh will steer Pentax back to past glory by offering (potentially updated) classics like an 85/1.4 again.

Last edited by Class A; 09-08-2011 at 05:36 AM.
09-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Well there are orthodox Pentaxians among us for whom 3rd party lenses are an anathema
I'm close to be an orthodox because I usually prefer Pentax lenses. Only when there are no alternatives I chose the 3rd party. The first reason to stay with the brand is compatibility and support. Fortunately, compatibility with 3rd parties is usually not too bad with Pentax (I know that Canon and Sigma have a lot of issues with older lenses vs newer bodies). But still you will have some issues: Sigma HSM not working with the newer CD-AF, 3rd parties not supporting lens correction in camera, Sigma lenses using the same ID for multiple lenses making difficult to do AF tuning.

There of course less negative reasons to chose Pentax over 3rd party:
- quick-shift on almost all lenses (except the FA), that's a big one although now some Sigma (HSM) also have this ability.
- usually smaller and better built (The Limiteds!)
- weather-sealing (but Sigma is coming with a new line of WR lenses).
09-08-2011, 05:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
- usually smaller and better built (The Limiteds!)
The small size of the Ltd's is a truly unique and compelling feature for a lot of people. But lenses always make tradeoffs, so you pay for the small size in areas like vignetting, and perhaps border/corner performance at larger apertures. Sigma makes their fast primes HUGE for a reason (and it's certainly NOT to cut costs), and like the person a few replies up, I would generally favor no-compromises IQ over a compact lens. But that's just me. Thankfully, between Pentax and 3rd parties, we have great options either way. Competition is a good thing.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 09-08-2011 at 06:30 AM.
09-08-2011, 05:44 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Fanboys and non-objective commenters rarely contribute useful information.

Most of my lenses are Pentax, but that's because they met the performance/size/price I was looking for (size being an important issue). But I'm not a fanboy, and my most used lens is a Sigma.

a colleague uses a D90, but he currently owns three lenses, two of which being Tamron and only one being Nikon.

09-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax photographers are perhaps the most resourceful, and skilled of photographers - Pentax cameras with all their foibles make it far from easy to get the best out of them. But for me the lenses particularly the FA limited lenses are what makes me put my pentax camera in my bag rather than a Leica or Nikon.

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
if you ever mentioned Tamron or Sigma 90%
On Leica forums instead of Sigma or Tamron and Tokina we have Zeiss and Voigtlander and Hexanon - the hexanon series of lenses from konica copping the most flak.
09-08-2011, 06:18 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
The small size of the Ltd's is a truly unique and compelling feature for a lot of people. But lenses always make tradeoffs, so you pay for the small size in areas like vignetting, and perhaps border/corner performance at larger apertures.
I agree, any lens design is a tradeoff. Pick the one you prefer.

Sigma makes their fast primes huge for a reason,
Yes and that reason is mostly FF coverage, except in a few cases. That's also a why you would chose (or reject!) Pentax lenses: they are targeted to APS-C. That's why the DA 55-300mm is more compact than the Sigma/Tamron 70-300mm. Now Sigma and Tamron are putting stabilization in their lenses, unfortunately for Pentax because they don't really need it (except I'd say for tele) and it makes the lenses bigger (and more expensive!).

and like the person a few replies up, I would generally favor no-compromises IQ over a compact lens.
There's a place for everything and I don't see too much compromises in the Ltd lenses.

In my lens line-up I always compared to 3rd party before buying. I didn't put too much emphasis on price (except if the difference is really big) but on features and IQ. Examples:
I choose the D-Fa 100 over the Tamron: longer, quick-shift, smaller, IQ a wash.
DA* 16-50mm over Tamron 17-50: WR, SDM, wider, IQ pros and cons.
DA*50-135mm over nothing, in 2008 no 70-200mm f/2.8 were available, the DA* 60-250mm was again delayed. Do not regret it: superb IQ, much smaller than 70-200mm or 60-250mm.
DA 12-24mm over Sig 10-20mm, quick-shift, constant aperture, better IQ (slightly)
DA 55-300mm, compact, more useful range over the 70-300mm
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 over FA 35mm f/2, faster, wider.
Sigma 8-16mm over 12-24mm, much wider, HSM, much much wider.
The Ltd primes: no competition.

My father-in-law for who the value is more important:
Tamron 17-50mm, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 28-105mm, Pentax 55-300mm, Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4.
09-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #22
Veteran Member

DA*50-135mm over nothing, in 2008 no 70-200mm f/2.8 were available,
No direct competition was available for the Pentax 50-135mm, except for the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8. Approximately the same size and similar specs. Perhaps the greatest Sigma lens that nobody ever knew about. That could explain why it was discontinued, but if so, then it's Sigma's fault for not promoting it. I'm just glad I picked one up just before they axed it.

Nice lens collection, BTW.

09-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No direct competition was available for the Pentax 50-135mm, except for the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8.
In 2008 even the Sigma 50-150mm was not available. It's a bit annoying to see that now that the situation is much better with lens availability a lot of 3rd parties are abandoning the K-mount or releasing only a few of their lenses.
09-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

In 2008 even the Sigma 50-150mm was not available. It's a bit annoying to see that now that the situation is much better with lens availability a lot of 3rd parties are abandoning the K-mount or releasing only a few of their lenses.
The original APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM was announced in August 2006. I have no idea when it was actually released, and whether there was a Pentax mount.

The version "II" (which I have) was announced in December of 2007. Again, no idea about first availability date. It seems very strange though that they would introduce such a great lens in 2008, and then discontinue it in 2010.
09-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems very strange though that they would introduce such a great lens in 2008, and then discontinue it in 2010.
Not the first strange move by Sigma: they also inexplicably discontinued the 24-60/2.8.
09-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #26
Veteran Member

For what its worth, my next lens will be the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8...The Pentax 50-135mm is too short for my taste and the 60-250mm is only a f/4.0
I would prefer to go with Pentax, but they don't have the lens that suits MY needs, therefore, I have to go to 3rd party.
09-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
and the 60-250mm is only a f/4.0
I wonder how much *60-250 f/2.8 would cost. Better yet *60-300 f/2.8
09-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I wonder how much *60-250 f/2.8 would cost. Better yet *60-300 f/2.8
Or how much those would weigh
09-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is that also. If I could afford the latter, I would put up with the weight.
09-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #30
Pentaxian

It seems very strange though that they would introduce such a great lens in 2008, and then discontinue it in 2010.
Sigma have stated that they tried to offer the equivalent of 70-200 FF lenses on APS-C (-> ~50-135) but that APS-C customers still went for the classic 70-200mm lenses.

Apparently customers did not want equivalent FOV. Perhaps they were misguided buy classic advice ("get a 70-200") or they were pulled by the longer reach of the fast 70-200 lenses, I don't know.

Surely, it is not Sigma's fault. It was the market that decided that 70-200 wins over 50-150. Not everyone does it like Pentax and makes a 50-135 a success by not offering a 70-200.