Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
There was a brief article in the paper this morning about an attempted convenience store robbery in San Diego. The robber was wearing a costume and got his gun stuck in it or something, The store clerk described the robber as a "green SpongeBob Squarepants". Apparently not old enough to have seen Gumby.
My name's not Gum, it's Gumby dammit.

09-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the opinions guys!

Well I won a 50mm f1.7 on ebay for 45 bones with shipping so I'm a happy camper!

I haven't been able to find the Industar for less than 65 with shipping.

What would be your recommendation for a cheap macro lens to look for considering I've never used one?
09-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Codazzle Quote
Thanks for the opinions guys!

Well I won a 50mm f1.7 on ebay for 45 bones with shipping so I'm a happy camper!

I haven't been able to find the Industar for less than 65 with shipping.

What would be your recommendation for a cheap macro lens to look for considering I've never used one?
The Industar is probably the cheapest macro you are going to find. In K-mount the M50/4 goes for ~ $90. The Sigma A 50mm f/2.8 macro goes for < $150.

Don't overlook the Raynox either.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/74221-raynox-macro-club.html

Last edited by boriscleto; 09-08-2011 at 08:35 PM.
09-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

You can use a reversing ring on your 50mm for macro. It would cost less than 10 dollars.

09-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

See the article: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html

The Raynox and reversal-ring suggestions are good. Here are some options:

* A 49mm-PK mount-reversal ring on your M50 puts you at a working distance of about 45mm, under 2in. The M50 doesn't have a deep front inset so you won't get a lot of magnification; for more mag, add a set of ultra-cheap simple PK macro tubes (usually ~US$8 shipped). You control the aperture manually, no stop-down.

* Such an ultra-cheap macro-tube set has up to 50mm of extension, enough to push the unreversed M50 to up to 1:1 magnification at a slightly greater working distance, but with only manual aperture control. My next suggestion is better:

* Mechanical aperture automation is useful, letting you use M mode and the Green button for stop-down metering and shooting. For this, you'd need a non-A-type auto macro tube set (I haven't seen any!) or some cheap PK TC's with the glass removed. Such TC's are usually under US$10 and each provides 25mm extension, so you'd want 2 of them to reach 1:1 magnification.

Other than a mount-reversal ring, the above options require no mount adapters.

Any short lens (75mm or less) forces you to work VERY close for macro shooting. Longer lenses allow|force you to work a bit further away. Field work (flowers, bugs, etc) often demands a focal length / working distance of 100mm or more. In the article I linked above, I discuss (among other things) using cheap enlarger lenses (ELs) for macro work. For instance, I may put a US$10 105/3.5 EL on a US$5 M39-PK adapter, sitting on 2 sets of ultra-cheap PK macro tubes, for 1:1 shooting. For other possibilities, see the article. Have fun!
09-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #21

Original Poster
Macro Extension Tube For Pentax PK K200D KM K20D K10D | eBay

Is this the type of cheap tube you were talking about for the second option?

Would I need two of those to reach 1:1? Since I'm using manual focus I don't mind using manual aperature control
09-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Macro Extension Tube For Pentax PK K200D KM K20D K10D | eBay

Would I need two of those to reach 1:1? Since I'm using manual focus I don't mind using manual aperature control
Yes those tubes are the right kind and are sufficient for 1:1 with a 50mm lens.

In general for 1:1: extension=focal length

mag = total.extension/focal.length -1 where total extension includes the distance from lens to sensor.
09-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Yes, those are the ultra-cheap PK tubes. I have several sets, both for macro extension, and because they're ultra-handy for all sorts of lens adaptation projects. One set is 50mm thick and will push your 50mm lens to 1:1. More sets will provide more magnification and the ability to do macro with longer lenses.

I suggested the mechanical auto-aperture option #3 because it's very useful. You can frame a shot wide-open, then have the camera stop-down for metering and exposure. But if you have good light, that's not absolutely necessary, just nice.

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
In general for 1:1: extension=focal length

mag = total.extension/focal.length -1 where total extension includes the distance from lens to sensor.
And when dealing with camera lenses, some extension is built into the lens. With the M50, just one 50mm set of tubes are needed for 1:1; whereas a 50mm EL (enlarger lens), which lacks a camera-mount body, would need two sets, for 100mm of extension.

Note that the built-in extension (50mm in this case) is when the lens is at infinity focus. If the lens is at close focus, it's extended a bit further and magnifies a bit more. Also be aware that the lens-to-whatever distance is calculated from the optical center of the lens, which is inside there somewhere. In other words, don't use a micrometer to measure your work! Just figure on a few mm of leeway.

09-10-2011, 03:53 AM   #24

I'm going to chime in and say that I have the Industar 61 L/Z and I enjoy using it. The macro isn't amazing, but it is functional and the I-61L/Z is a neat lens.

One interesting feature is how the blades close up. I think around f/5.6 the lens begins to form a six point star pattern. This amounts to interesting bokeh. Examine this picture I took with my old Canon Rebel XT.

Here are a few more examples (mixed media, i.e. film/digital): [1], [2], [3]

Cheers!

*Links are to my flickr page.

Last edited by barm; 09-10-2011 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Clarification
09-11-2011, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #25

Original Poster
Well I bought the tubes for a whopping 7 bones. I also managed to get an Industar for 60 bucks.

That bokeh is one of the things I liked about the Industar barm! Not that I'm experienced, but I've never seen something like that.

So I spent $105 on two lenses so I'm happy. I must thank you guys again!

In a strange twist of irony, I was digging around and I found a Promaster 70-300mm f4-5.6 that I had bought years ago and forgot I had! The focusing barrel says it gets to 1:2, so I guess I can play with that while I wait for my tubes