Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by altovintner Quote
Hence, I am putting my pennies in a jar as we speak to save up for the FA 31mm. The honest truth is that I probably could live ok with the 18-55 kit lens, but I WANT the 31.
You could get a used 28mm until you have the dosh for the 31mm, then sell it (or not ). For example the Vivitar or Kiron 28mm f2, or any number of 28mm f2.8's. All are decent lenses, some quite good and most only cost ~$25-100. Besides, every serious Pentax user should have a manual lens. It's what we do.

09-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
You could get a used 28mm until you have the dosh for the 31mm, then sell it (or not ). For example the Vivitar or Kiron 28mm f2, or any number of 28mm f2.8's. All are decent lenses, some quite good and most only cost ~$25-100. Besides, every serious Pentax user should have a manual lens. It's what we do.
Hi audiobomber. I agree 100%. Moreover, I have already started on that path with a Nikkor 28mm non-AI lens. That lens mounts good enough on my k-x and I have used it in manual mode + green button. Have gotten some good pics.

Have a made-in-Japan Zeiss Jena 28mm on the way to try as well.
09-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Beware... the DA 40 carries a curse.

It answers the question "What's all this chatter about the Pentax Limiteds?" Once you start using it, you will never be satisfied until you get them all. The 40 was my 'slippery slope' lens and I've spent a ton acquiring some of its siblings.

I've read that the only true cure for LBA is buying every one (including M42's).

Anyway, you have been warned...

Enjoy the season...
this is true...I was very content with my bag of takumars...then i borrowed the DA40 from a friend and within a few short months I bought DA70, FA43, DA15, FA77, and FA31...its like a heroin addiction. beware!
09-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I have already started on that path with a Nikkor 28mm non-AI lens. That lens mounts good enough on my k-x and I have used it in manual mode + green button.
Depending on what type of non-AI mount, you can cut a slot about 1mm wide and deep and 5mm long in the appropriate place on the Nikkor lens base for the Pentax-mount lens-lock pin to engage, for a more secure force-fit.

09-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Have a made-in-Japan Zeiss Jena 28mm on the way to try as well.
Yeah, that sounds like fun! I have the Kiron 28mm f2 and a Cosina A 28mm 2.8. I also have the FA 35 and DA 40. They each have different strengths and weaknesses, but 28mm is definitely my most favouritist focal length on a Pentax DSLR.

As RickyFromVegas mentioned above, the 40mm is kind of a hybrid; long normal/short tele.
09-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think it's competing for votes with the DA24/2.0 that is listed. Similar focal length and because size/cost aren't listed most are going to pick the faster WR option.
09-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Depending on what type of non-AI mount, you can cut a slot about 1mm wide and deep and 5mm long in the appropriate place on the Nikkor lens base for the Pentax-mount lens-lock pin to engage, for a more secure force-fit.
Awesome! Thanks!

09-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #38
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Beware... the DA 40 carries a curse.

It answers the question "What's all this chatter about the Pentax Limiteds?" Once you start using it, you will never be satisfied until you get them all. The 40 was my 'slippery slope' lens and I've spent a ton acquiring some of its siblings.

I've read that the only true cure for LBA is buying every one (including M42's).

Anyway, you have been warned...

Enjoy the season...
The DA40 was one of the first primes I bought and it led to the acquirement of a DA15, but the DA15 failed to impress me so I flogged it. I eventually sold all my primes except for the DA40 and the Tamron 90. Of all the primes I owned I will keep just these two lenses because they are exceptional.
09-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #39
Pentaxian

ah yes, the DA15...people, i warn you NOT to click on this thread...beware!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-controls-my-mind-club.html

you will not be impressed with this lens so please don't click the link.
09-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #40
JHD
Veteran Member

Yes - the DA15 is the undisputed ultimate fanboy lens. There are some good pictures in that thread, even a few exceptional pictures... but vast majority what you will see there is mediocre at best. If you prefer think rather than submit to some form of "mind control" as they call it, you can readily see this for yourself.
09-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Holy cow Rico....are there lenses for any platform that you DON'T own?
09-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #42
Veteran Member

If you ask me, these are two lenses that serve completely different purposes.

DA40 - Great picture quality, very, very fast autofocus (probably fastest screw-focus lens), and tiny. Great for walking around and keeping a low-profile. The only problem is that sometimes it's not wide enough for me.

FA31 - Pixie-dust territory, great bokeh, low-light usage but large,heavy and slower to focus - I would not want to drag mine around everywhere I go. I'd be too paranoid to loose it or scratch it.

I would recommend the DA15 and DA40 combo for starts - great for walking/traveling light and taking great pictures.
You can add the DA70 at a later date for a nice 3-some combo.

In planning my lens purchases, I have been lusting over the possibility of getting an FA 31mm f1.8. Probably have spent 6 hours reading the reviews here and elsewhere and the various posts in these forums. Best price brand new seems to be about $1,000 at B&H:

Pentax smc Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited (Black) 20290 B&H Photo

But, I recently noticed that the DA 40mm f2.8 can be purchased for $245 at Amazon:

Amazon.com: Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 Ultra Compact Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Given that either lens would be my walk-around prime, what do you folks thing about springing for the $245 40mm instead of the 31mm? That seems like an incredible value --- 1/4 the cost of the 31mm. For less than $1,000, I could get the 40mm and also the DA 15mm f4.

What do you think? Do you think the 31mm --- admittedly better for the APS-C than the 40mm --- is worth it at 4 times the price?

Thanks!
09-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Haha ... I loosely remember this phrase from my younger days when I liked VWs a little too much:

Every serious vee-dub fan should at least know how to rebuild the damn thing. It's what we do.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
09-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
Haha ... I loosely remember this phrase from my younger days when I liked VWs a little too much:

Every serious vee-dub fan should at least know how to rebuild the damn thing. It's what we do.

LOL! I had a 1964; tough, quirky, very spartan, not dissimilar to the Kiron 28mm, except the Kiron f/2 is two stops faster. ;-)
09-09-2011, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Yes - the DA15 is the undisputed ultimate...lens. .

excellent, i may use this in my signature line, thanks for the quote. I had to edit the part where it started to get too wordy but i think people will get the idea.