Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I'm not going to enter the arena on this go around... However, I can say that that 1mm extra on the wide end is very nice to have in certain circumstances.

09-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #17
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Dont forget that the DA * 16-50 has a lot better IQ than the Tamron
I think not. From all the samples I've seen, optically the Tamron is the better lens. It also has a far better warranty and a superior track record for reliability.
09-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Well, I'm not going to enter the arena on this go around...
09-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #19
Pentaxian

well, IQ is not all about sharpness.

I love the overall IQ of my 16-50.
I am just a bit disappointed at the zoom mechanism..not smooth. even the 18-55 kit lens has better zoom feeling...I do not know if that is only my copy..
same with focus ring, feel not very good.

About the topic, I do not think pentax will make a new one..

09-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. Tamaron, for me, is not an option but I would consider the Sigma. I had a Sigma 70-300 lens years ago that took great pictures but the build quality was crappy. I wish there was a store around here that carried Pentax and Pentax mount equipment so I could try them out. It's just that for about $1000 I would like a lens that has fewer problems than the DA* lens (at least from what I've read). I may wait, but it depends on if I get sick of not having a wider lens (Tokina 28-70, which really is 42-105 with K-5). Thanks again for all the suggestions.
09-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #21
Pentaxian

The Sigma is about equal on the wide end with the Tamron, but a bit better on the 50mm. It also should have slightly better build quality than the Tamron (I've noticed that this is pretty true with all the newer competing models between Tamron and Sigma).
09-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The Sigma is about equal on the wide end with the Tamron, but a bit better on the 50mm. It also should have slightly better build quality than the Tamron (I've noticed that this is pretty true with all the newer competing models between Tamron and Sigma).
Not surprising given the price difference.
09-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Not surprising given the price difference.

Well, usually that's the extra cost of the HSM and OS built into the lens - but Tamron's plastic quality doesn't have that sexy smoothness of Sigma's nowadays.

I still like Tamron better though, but that's just me.

09-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoghead Quote
I purchased the 16-50 DA* when it was first released and I'm glad I did! I got a "good" copy and it's one of my favorites. I do lots of motorcycle and car shows and that little extra width is a great help most of the time. If the money is not an issue I'd surly get the DA* and if it was I'd wait until I had the cash, hands down!
The DA*16-50 did a very job in car shows.
I am glad I have it and I am not able to let it go even with a number of prime.
09-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #25
Site Supporter

I donít think itíll never ever happen but if Pentax/Ricoh releases a toned down version of the 16-50; something along the line of a DA*L 16-50 non-SDM version and have the optical quality of a DA* at the cost of and (dare I say it) the reliability of a non-SDM lens, Iíd be seriously tempted. For my type of shooting I wouldnít really care if the thing sounds like a dremel tool and slower AF.
09-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
In looking at review sites it seems like the Sigma 17-50 2.8 is rated slightly better than the Pentax 16-50 2.8. It is also $250 cheaper. I like the WR on the Pentax but if the Sigma is optically better then I would go with that over the Pentax since IQ is more important than the WR. Are there any sites anyone knows of that directly compare those two lenses?
09-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photozone.de has seperate reviews for each lenses. Not directly comparable since they're on different bodies, but the controlled tests are exactly the same, so some comparisons are possible. If I recall, the Sigma bested the Pentax for sharpness, and was much better at controlling CA. There was also significantly less barrel distortion on the wide end of the Sigma, but that's not really a fair comparison since it only goes to 17mm, while the Pentax goes to 16mm.
09-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Jool, although it would be nice to have a store in town to walk into and play around, unless that store has a built-in studio to play in, or a loan program of some sort you're not going to be able to do much real-world testing anyway.

If you're willing to invest some money in your testing before you buy though, check out CameraLensRentals.com. I've rented lenses from them since 2008 and have nothing but good things to say about their selection and service. Me renting these lenses allowed me to spend plenty of quality time figuring out if the lenses work for me before dropping good money.

Of course I can also blame them for my LBA relapse (previous one was only a few months ago), as I've been renting ultra-wide angle lenses and have the itch to purchase either a DA12-24 or the Sigma 8-16.
09-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Dont forget that the DA * 16-50 has a lot better IQ than the Tamron
It hasn't.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Er what? The general consensus is that the Tamron 17-50 and the Sigma 17-50 beat the DA* 16-50 in IQ at all apertures and range.
+1

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I had a Sigma 70-300 lens years ago that took great pictures but the build quality was crappy.
Sigma produces a wide range of lenses, from cheap budget lenses to high-end professional products. The build quality on the more expensive lenses is a lot better than on their cheapest budget lenses.

Concerning your original question, I don't think that a new version of the 16-50 is imminent. There seem to be a number of lens models out of stock recently. They cannot possibly all be replaced by newer models. Probably some sort of manufacturing backlog.

QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
If you're willing to invest some money in your testing before you buy though, check out CameraLensRentals.com.
I think that is an excellent suggestion. Lens performance is so much more than corner sharpness, vignetting figures, etc.

If you could play with various lenses a while then you'll be able to make the most informed choice about which lens you prefer. Maybe the 16-50 will be your top choice because of its bokeh after all. On the other hand, you cannot go wrong with the Tamron or Sigma zooms either.