Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

DA 35mm Macro / FA 43mm and other possible lens combinations

I was wondering if by chance anyone has kept BOTH of these lenses. I absolutely love my DA 35mm for 90% of situations but I'm seriously looking at the FA 43mm because of its bokeh and for extremely shallow DOF opportunities. I've thought about selling off the 35mm macro but oddly enough I feel that this somewhat-wide focal length works well for me for the type of shots I usually use close focusing for (often in cramped indoors). Are there other macro options for me if I decide to switch to the 43mm? Could I possibly warrant keeping both lenses?

09-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey there,

I pretty much did that about a week ago, went from a DA 35mm f2.8 Macro to a FA 43mm f1.9. I just never really used macro much and although the 35mm is razor sharp, it never gave me striking color and contrast, those I had to input myself in post processing. I never really had issues with focusing, it was always fast for me. It is truly a beautifully made lens, and if I had the money, I would have love to keep them both, but I never want to exceed more than 5 lenses in my lineup, so this one had to go.

I haven't had much time with the 43mm to do a proper comparison, but so far here are the things I like and didn't like about the lens: First of all, I really like the size; with the hood on, I always felt the 35mm was kinda big for a limited prime, but the 43mm feels perfect for street style shooting. The lens is just as sharp as the 35mm from f2.8 on and very sharp at f4. f1.9 is pretty sharp, but you would really have to step it down to get that extra sharpness. Bokeh is beautiful, as expected from a FA limited.

What I find annoying so far is the lack of quick shift, I think I've just been spoiled with such a great mechanism with the DA primes. I would find myself wishing that I still had quick shift since I've become so accustom to it. Also, there are quite a lot of CA at f1.9 to f2.8. They are definitely more noticeable than the DA 35mm. Finally, I know its weird, but I didn't really like the multi-color coating on the glass, I've always like the clear look of the other DA lenses; but this is a personal preference.

You should keep both if you can afford it, the characteristics of both lenses are just so different. With the 35mm, I always find myself taking photos of objects or environment. With the FA 43mm, I have an urge to take photos of people. It's weird, but that's how I feel so far. Hope this helps.
09-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I definitely find that a lot of the images I take with the DA 35mm macro consist of objects / environment / textures. I don't quite use it truly as a macro lens but I do use it at very close focus distance.
09-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It depends on your financial picture. I have ended up with a DA35 macro, DA40 and FA43. I use the 43 by far the most, but the other two have different uses, so I have kept them. If/when I need the money for some other project or lens, probably one of the DAs will get sold. Not sure which one.

09-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have both and had bought 3 limited early last year within a month of each other 15, 35 then 43

Think i've posted this before but
FA43 - for things with a heart beat
DA35 - for objects without.

I find the DA35 is very "contrasty" which i think better for object & colours.
FA43 feels more subtle and nicer in the OOF areas for people shots

I dont use the DA35 for close up & macro so much now that I have a DFA100, so its getting less use now.

It's too good to sell as it probably is the most versatile prime lens I have. It can do anything and do it well.
09-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yoon395 Quote
Could I possibly warrant keeping both lenses?
I'm not the one to ask. My answer would be 'can you possibly warrant getting rid of one of them?' I have both and don't think I'll ever let them go.

I pretty much agree with Steve. The DA is very contrasty and versatile. The FA is more subtle, and has a 'certain something' about it that is hard to define.

Of course you should also accompany these fine lenses with the FA31.....
09-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

They are very different lenses. Keep them both. Buy some more. See as they see.

09-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great feedback, thanks all