Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #1

Loose uneven zoom action on DA 16-45

I just got a second hand DA 16-45mm lens off ebay for about $100, everything works fine and the iq is pretty good, but it feels a bit loose. The zoom action is uneven and feels grainy, and generally doesn't feel nice. It sticks a bit at 16mm, then is reasonably even to about 35mm then feels very light to 45mm. I'm guessing this is just due to wear, but I'm wondering if there is any way to improve this, maybe some type of lubrication?
Thanks

09-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
My 16-45 has been great optically, but also from new to now three years later has been loose and at times wobbly. The zoom action if grainy might be drying out grease or foreign matter that got inside? I can't tell from here...

You can't squirt lube in as it might contaminate the gaps between cams and the optics. Disassembly is best and if you don't know your way inside, you should find a reputable place that can.
09-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
My 16-45 has been great optically, but also from new to now three years later has been loose and at times wobbly. The zoom action if grainy might be drying out grease or foreign matter that got inside? I can't tell from here...

You can't squirt lube in as it might contaminate the gaps between cams and the optics. Disassembly is best and if you don't know your way inside, you should find a reputable place that can.

That sounds a little bit out of my league, but still might have to give it a go some time if I can't find an easier solution, the pictures it is producing are fine really anyway. Is there anywhere to find out info about doing that?
Thanks
09-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I once owned and disassembed this lens. Loose is normal, if grainy then I am quite certain some plastic is/are broken inside (not that difficult). Just seek for a refund because this lens is not worth fixing.