Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scored Again: SMC Pentax Taumar 55mm F1.8

Well, I finally bought it! I found a SMC Pentax Taumar 55mm F1.8 lens locally for $30.00. It looks like it has never been used!

Along with the lens a got a set of Pentacon screw mount extension tubes and the M42 adapter, all for $30.00

Now for some testing. I bought the Pentax M 50mm F1.7 lens last week for $9.95 and I want to see which one I like better overall.

BTW, the adapter that the lens came with make the lens mount with the distance scale on the bottom of the camera, instead on the top like they should be. Is this how all screw mount lenses mount to K mount bodies? I know it isn't really a problem, but I'd like to be able to see the distance scale and Fstop at the top of the camera like all my other lenses.

Well here's a couple pictures of the lens (shot with the M 50mm f1.7). This is how I received it, I haven't cleaned the lens yet.

09-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The M50/1.7 and now the ST55/1.8! You have a couple superb lenses there! And great prices! (OK, enough bangs.) No, the numbers usually aren't on the downside with adapters. Are the adapter's threads clear? You might try (un)screwing the extension tubes in the adapter and on the lens a few times, to see if that smooths out any sticky points. Is the adapter narrow- or wide-flanged? Narrow-flanged means you can focus to infinity; wide-flanged, very useful with macro tubes, doesn't allow infinity focus. Have fun!
09-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
the adapter that the lens came with make the lens mount with the distance scale on the bottom of the camera, instead on the top like they should be.
Depends on the type adapter of course, but the lens registers for infinity focus on the base of the lens itself. If it's not the flanged adapter, you can shim the adapter to snug up at any point as it screws in. In other words, don't seat the adapter, seat the lens base where you want it.

Add a drop of fingernail polish or rubber cement to the threads for a fairly tight friction fit and when you get the orientation you want, either permanently shim the set-up or "glue" the adapter in place. Or you may want to remove some of the 'lip' on the adapter. I've done it both ways.

I prefer my M42 len index to set at the 10 or 2 o'clock position so I can read the aperture scale without interference from that damn flash bump.

H2
09-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the help.

Well, I shot a little bit in my back yard. I think I'm in LOVE.

This is the first time I've been able to do some real macro shots. I used the lens plus the extensions and I can't believe the images I'm getting just by piddling around in the back yard. I'm hand holding the shots and turned the lens to F11 and have an ISO of 1600.

Here's one example. Keep in mind, these are my first real macros ever, so I'm sure many can do better.

09-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's another one, a small fruit fly. This one was shot at F8

09-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even the original caps. An old toothbrush is nice for cleaning these up.
09-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have this strange thing about takumars. I don't like the ones that look like K lenses (is it only the 55/1.8?) even if they are completely identical optically (or possibly have a better SMC) to the classic takumar style.

but this is an outstanding deal. I paid a little less for mine but didn't get an adapter or tubes. And it takes outstanding pics.

09-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I have this strange thing about takumars. I don't like the ones that look like K lenses (is it only the 55/1.8?) even if they are completely identical optically (or possibly have a better SMC) to the classic takumar style.

but this is an outstanding deal. I paid a little less for mine but didn't get an adapter or tubes. And it takes outstanding pics.
Are you talking about the rubber on the focusing ring? Only 50mm f1.4, 55 f1.8 and 55 f2 have those. When the focus is properly lubed, these things are such a pleasure to focus!
09-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is a really nice lens. I love its bokeh and small size.
Congratulations on the good price.
09-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaSA Quote
Are you talking about the rubber on the focusing ring? Only 50mm f1.4, 55 f1.8 and 55 f2 have those. When the focus is properly lubed, these things are such a pleasure to focus!
Yes and there is no logical reason other than it doesn't look like a takumar anymore without the metal focus ring.
09-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VaSA Quote
I asked here once and think the answer was that a 15mm f3.5 was made with the rubber grip as well. Not a lens you'll come across every day, I bet.
09-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I asked here once and think the answer was that a 15mm f3.5 was made with the rubber grip as well. Not a lens you'll come across every day, I bet.
Oh yeah, forgot that one.