Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lens repair

Just curious as to what a ball park number is to have a lens checked out or rebuilt if necessary?? Nothing major wrong with it but needs cleaned inside and out and maybe adjustments made to the mechanics. I know there are alot of variables but Pentax specific.

JJ

09-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Just curious as to what a ball park number is to have a lens checked out or rebuilt if necessary?? Nothing major wrong with it but needs cleaned inside and out and maybe adjustments made to the mechanics. I know there are alot of variables but Pentax specific.

JJ
Many variables but in general, prime lens costs less than zoom. Same with MF and AF.

If the former expect $50-$100, the latter would normally cost more. That's the price in the US, but if you go to Asia, expect much cheaper. I got several lenses cleaned up and fixed in Asia, cost me $5-$10 each time.
09-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My Tamron Adaptall SP 60-300 has a bit of slop in the focus adjustment, I've been trying to find a repair shop in BC Canada... but if it needs to get shipped far it might be cheaper to find a replacement copy in better shape i guess.
09-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account

E mail Eric and get a quote. He is great and quite reasonable if in the USA.

09-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
My Tamron Adaptall SP 60-300 has a bit of slop in the focus adjustment, I've been trying to find a repair shop in BC Canada... but if it needs to get shipped far it might be cheaper to find a replacement copy in better shape i guess.
I'd peel back the rubber grip and look for screws under it. That's one possible construction method. The Pentax-A 70-210mm f4 is like that, and all you'd have to do is tighten the screws.
09-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I'd peel back the rubber grip and look for screws under it. That's one possible construction method. The Pentax-A 70-210mm f4 is like that, and all you'd have to do is tighten the screws.
I haven't yet attacked this lens, I've already repaired a few pulled apart a few others for a good cleaning, just not any of my adapatall lenses. The barrel can move about 3/16" and sure can make changing focal lengths and re-gaining focus a pain in the butt, when my 19AH (70-210) never looses it's focus on FL changes.