Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #1

Old lens adventure, but some won't fit!

New to Pentax, I recently picked up a K200d, and then I picked up an old film camera kit. I'm not really interested in shooting film, I just got the kit because it contained a Pentax A 50/1.7, but while I've got the whole kit, why not give the other lenses a try? It seems to be a very unusual kit: some of the lenses aren't even listed in the database here or other places that I could easily find. The owner of this kit must have loved macro photography.

1. JCPenney 28-80 f3.5-4.5. Poorly reviewed here, but an interesting feature is that its closest focus (1:5 macro) comes at the wide end, which seems to allow exceptional depth of field at very short distances.

2. Tamron 35-70 f3.5-4.5. This is an adaptall lens that looks similar, but the one I have is a K mount. The word "macro" doesn't appear but it focuses down to 1:2.8 at 25cm. I used it to photograph the Vivitar lens mounts.

Now is where the problem comes in... the next two lenses don't fit! They have light shields that go a third to half way around the diameter of the inside of the lens, and there isn't enough clearance in my K200d to fit these on the camera. They fit fine on the film camera (Super Program) that they came with. I uploaded pictures of the mounts here. Has anyone seen this before?

3. Vivitar SMS 70-210 f/4.5 MC Macro Focusing Zoom. I found this page describing the "Series 1" 70-210 lenses; it looks like the version 2 described there but it can't be a series 1 because it's f/4.5. It also isn't one of the newer f/4.5-5.6 lenses that the author of that page derides. It's slim, with a 52mm filter thread. Seems to be made by Kobori (serial number begins with 77).

4. Vivitar 75-205 f/3.8 Close focusing auto zoom... with a metal cap! This got surprisingly good reviews here, but unlike those described in the review, the one I have is a two touch zoom but its serial number also begins with 22. The close focus function is reached by zooming out to 75 and continuing.

Will these Vivitar lenses work on another digital camera? I suppose I could get an extension tube and use them for shooting really tiny objects... or maybe they'll work with a TC? Are they fixable? If not, does anyone want to buy a Super Program kit with some pretty good macro lenses?

09-11-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Check out this thread.
09-11-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its now both a challenge and opportunity for you to augment and update the current reviews with your new information. You can also easily create new lens reviews for the lenses that are not covered as of yet.

Also, Rico here is the current reining Dremel tool guy, modifying lenses. Hopefully, he is around with his normal insights on your lenses.

09-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Also, Rico here is the current reining Dremel tool guy, modifying lenses. Hopefully, he is around with his normal insights on your lenses.
I've not had to chop any Viv's. The linked thread goes into pretty good detail of how to deal with the deep flange. I *can* say that the cutters of choice are Dremel #426 Reinforced Cutting Blades. A pack of five at a local non-discount hardware store was about US$12, and so far I've only worn-out two of them.