Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy the Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO HSM?
Yes 6036.59%
No 3722.56%
Own it and highly recommend 74.27%
Own It and don't recommend   00%
Don't care either way 116.71%
Can't afford it now but maybe 4024.39%
Can't afford it ever 95.49%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi, All,

I would like to thank you for your information. I will definitely take my camera with me to the shop to see if it fits on my Pentax. I am not sure if it the Macro or not. Will have to check it out. (and at the risk of sounding like an idiot.....what does HSM stand for) (grin)
Peter, thanks for the input on the 'Bigma'. I have read nothing but good about this lens, but wanted a first hand account about it. Now I have even more incentive to save and get one.

Thanks again,
Meyjo

12-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #32
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
HSM = High Speed Motor, So the lens has the motor inside instead of the screw drive from the camera body.

Here's a couple of samples from the gallery that I took with the Bigma.
User Photo Gallery - Nature

User Photo Gallery - Landscape

User Photo Gallery - Landscape

Well worth saving for IMO
12-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Well...

I have the latest version made for K mount and it is SUCH a nice lens.
12-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Oh, yeah!

Thank you, Peter. From your beautiful pictures, I can see it will, most definitely, be well worth saving for the 'Bigma'. I am starting already. And thank you for the explanation of what HSM meant. Not real familiar with all of the 'shortcuts'. lol

Will also purchase the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. (I voted 'yes' btw)

12-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Hi,

I dont think it is worth $1200, but as a msrp maybe.

I am keener on the seeing what the tamron is like.

I would be even keener on a pentax with similar specs to the tamron (ie closer focus etc).

but of course not one of the three is available

oh well, just keep waiting.

Phil
12-06-2007, 10:46 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Voted no...
BUT IF IT were Out, I am sure I would buy it..
12-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #37
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Well one of the guys that frequents another forum I watch had what's called "DemoDaze" with all the reps from the major suppliers and product displays etc there. So for all you waiting on the Tamron the news he has direct from the source is [Quote]

"Tamron, likely will announce 80-200mm 2.8 at PMA 01-08. Pentax mount will likely not be included with Canon & Nikon, so this lens may never make it to Pentax AF mount. Bummer. Oh well. Sony will get issued before Pentax if Sony gets issued. Tamron's goal now is to move their entire lens line over to Image Stabilized lenses so this is likely why Pentax and Sony will get left out since they have anti shake bodies."

So It's going to be Sigma or maybe Tokina if Hoya pushes that division to make more in Pentax AF mounts. But looking at the current Tokina lineup is not overly inspiring. Not many lenses compared to the 35+ Sigmas in PKA mount plus the 30 or so that aren't now.

So if you want to make an impression, vote here and I'll send the poll to Sigma and see if they notice.

BTW. DemoDaze is held in Colorado near where Pentax had is main USA operations.

12-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #38
m8o
Veteran Member

Well then someone should Tell Tamron to take this off their own website...
TAMRON | News | Tamron Develops new product SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di [Model A001]
Pentax is mentioned twice in that. I know I know... that's not rumor, or hearsay -- what we apparently feed on -- but rather an announcement by the mfgr themselves. And I know we Pentax'rs aren't used to things like that. But I'm going to force myself ... at least as long as they don't in-fact delete it off their website.
12-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #39
Inactive Account

70-200

I voted no. I, m not a sports or a wildlife shooter so 200 mm does'nt interest me. I have the new Sigma 18/ 50 macro and it suites me just fine. (great lens) Although I would'nt mind if it was a little wider. ken
12-08-2007, 01:16 AM   #40
Veteran Member

My vote was another no, simply because like most I guess, I'm waiting to see what will be availiable come the end of January.
Wal'
12-08-2007, 05:25 AM   #41
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Eremko Quote
I voted no. I, m not a sports or a wildlife shooter so 200 mm does'nt interest me. I have the new Sigma 18/ 50 macro and it suites me just fine. (great lens) Although I would'nt mind if it was a little wider. ken
Glad to hear that Ken, love to see some pics from that 18-50 as I'm giving it serious consideration.l
12-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Well one of the guys that frequents another forum I watch had what's called "DemoDaze" with all the reps from the major suppliers and product displays etc there. So for all you waiting on the Tamron the news he has direct from the source is

"Tamron, likely will announce 80-200mm 2.8 at PMA 01-08. Pentax mount will likely not be included with Canon & Nikon, so this lens may never make it to Pentax AF mount. Bummer. Oh well. Sony will get issued before Pentax if Sony gets issued. Tamron's goal now is to move their entire lens line over to Image Stabilized lenses so this is likely why Pentax and Sony will get left out since they have anti shake bodies."
Thanks for this bit of info. Now that is a bit worrying. Tamron is planning to move their entire lens line over to IS? If so then will they bother to make any lenses for Pentax? The 90mm Macro and even the budget 70-300mm are obvious choices for IS-ification; will even these disappear in K-mount? And ditto Sigma's options since they are working on their OIS too? Call me alarmist if you want, but look what's happened since Nikon released the D40 and D40x... Tamron went out of their way to make "D40-friendly" glass. As usual, Canon and Nikon and their users call the shots... the third parties fall over themselves catering to those two; something which will surely only continue as dSLRs become cheaper and everyone and their dog are told they need a Canon or Nikon dSLR for "better photos"... will the third parties even remember we exist?

I always liked Tokina and hope that we can see some Tokina lenses for Pentax again, though I suspect it's unlikely because of the Toktax/Pentina lens situation... and they have some way to go, because I believe the number of current Tokina lenses available for K-mount is a grand total of... 2.

I suspect that if we just wait and see, and hope that the third party companies realise there's still money to be made from the K-mount, we could end up being disappointed... and not just those of us who want a 70-200mm f/2.8, but people who want third-party options and choice in general. Now I might have disagreed with the specifics of this poll, but I support any effort to tell the third parties we're still here, and that we would like them to take us seriously and not totally abandon us in favour of CaNikon. So again thankyou Peter for taking the time to do this, and thanks to all the voters and posters, of which I hope we see more.
12-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sky is falling!

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Thanks for this bit of info. Now that is a bit worrying. Tamron is planning to move their entire lens line over to IS? If so then will they bother to make any lenses for Pentax? The 90mm Macro and even the budget 70-300mm are obvious choices for IS-ification; will even these disappear in K-mount? And ditto Sigma's options since they are working on their OIS too? Call me alarmist if you want, but look what's happened since Nikon released the D40 and D40x... Tamron went out of their way to make "D40-friendly" glass. As usual, Canon and Nikon and their users call the shots... the third parties fall over themselves catering to those two; something which will surely only continue as dSLRs become cheaper and everyone and their dog are told they need a Canon or Nikon dSLR for "better photos"... will the third parties even remember we exist?

I always liked Tokina and hope that we can see some Tokina lenses for Pentax again, though I suspect it's unlikely because of the Toktax/Pentina lens situation... and they have some way to go, because I believe the number of current Tokina lenses available for K-mount is a grand total of... 2.

I suspect that if we just wait and see, and hope that the third party companies realise there's still money to be made from the K-mount, we could end up being disappointed... and not just those of us who want a 70-200mm f/2.8, but people who want third-party options and choice in general. Now I might have disagreed with the specifics of this poll, but I support any effort to tell the third parties we're still here, and that we would like them to take us seriously and not totally abandon us in favour of CaNikon. So again thankyou Peter for taking the time to do this, and thanks to all the voters and posters, of which I hope we see more.
Relax buddy! Take a deep breath and put your head between your knees. There is plenty of glass available. There is even some relatively long, moderately fast glass available. I myself own a 300mm F4 that I bought for less than $300. Yes it's not auto focus, but have you ever tried to get an auto focus lens to focus on the bird in the bush instead of the bush itself? Besides, one rumor does not a trend make. Remember the "Pentax is doomed! Hoya will destroy it!" brouhaha earlier this year? I own 12 lenses, about 3/4 are used lenses (none bought on eekbay btw) About 1/2 of those used lenses are either manual everything or "A" lenses. And guess what? They still take great photos! Amazing isn't it?
BTW I voted "can't afford it now but maybe"

NaCl(not even moderately concerned)H2O
12-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #44
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I totally agree Salty. I have heard that Tokina is a subsiduaary of Hoyatex and will most likely add more to the line. And of course there is always Sigma with a very good selection. I don'e think Tamron will leave Pentax completely behind either. They may just wait and see what the market will demand in any new lenses. But the current line will most likely be around for a long time to come. The glass companies all move slowly. It can take 1-2 years to get new designs on the market.
12-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #45
Inactive Account

The 70-200..........

I went to the camera shop that has this lens, and alas....it is the Macro. A friend of mine has a catalog from B&H, so I was lookiing through it to see if they had listed the non-macro version. They didn't....BUT have the 70-200 F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM listed WITH a Pentax Mount.....even have an order number for it. I called them to have them physically put the lens on the K100D while I am on the phone to see if it is true......(which I doubt) They are closed on Saturday, but will be open tomorrow. I will let you know what the verdict is, altho' I can tell by reading the posts here, that it is more than likely a moot point. Have to do it, tho'. I am not sure how they could have it listed if it doesn't fit our make of camera. Can all of these people make this mistake....? Surely someone has ordered this lens, only to send it back, and tell them it doesn't fit the Pentax......???