Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy the Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO HSM?
Yes 6036.59%
No 3722.56%
Own it and highly recommend 74.27%
Own It and don't recommend   00%
Don't care either way 116.71%
Can't afford it now but maybe 4024.39%
Can't afford it ever 95.49%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by meyjo Quote
I went to the camera shop that has this lens, and alas....it is the Macro. A friend of mine has a catalog from B&H, so I was lookiing through it to see if they had listed the non-macro version. They didn't....BUT have the 70-200 F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM listed WITH a Pentax Mount.....even have an order number for it. I called them to have them physically put the lens on the K100D while I am on the phone to see if it is true......(which I doubt) They are closed on Saturday, but will be open tomorrow. I will let you know what the verdict is, altho' I can tell by reading the posts here, that it is more than likely a moot point. Have to do it, tho'. I am not sure how they could have it listed if it doesn't fit our make of camera. Can all of these people make this mistake....? Surely someone has ordered this lens, only to send it back, and tell them it doesn't fit the Pentax......???
What would be the difference between the macro and non macro version. I do not know the difference.
Thanks.

12-08-2007, 06:13 PM   #47
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
A) it's not available in Pentax mount (newer version) and B) reported by some Canon and Nikon owners as slightly softer. But anything I've read on that made no sense and wasn't compared to anything. So softer than what?
12-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Macro version focuses much closer than the non-macro version. The Sigma website will tell you the minimum focus distance for the macro.
12-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Macro version focuses much closer than the non-macro version. The Sigma website will tell you the minimum focus distance for the macro.
Yep, thats what I thought, so my next question would be. Why not make all lenses that way? Is that a speed problem?

12-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Relax buddy! Take a deep breath and put your head between your knees. There is plenty of glass available. There is even some relatively long, moderately fast glass available. I myself own a 300mm F4 that I bought for less than $300. Yes it's not auto focus, but have you ever tried to get an auto focus lens to focus on the bird in the bush instead of the bush itself? Besides, one rumor does not a trend make. Remember the "Pentax is doomed! Hoya will destroy it!" brouhaha earlier this year? I own 12 lenses, about 3/4 are used lenses (none bought on eekbay btw) About 1/2 of those used lenses are either manual everything or "A" lenses. And guess what? They still take great photos! Amazing isn't it?
BTW I voted "can't afford it now but maybe"

NaCl(not even moderately concerned)H2O
Good to hear you're not concerned. Like I said, I knew I'd be called alarmist. And while I don't think the sky is falling just yet, it occurs to me that it may be lowering at a steady rate.

As for being able to use old glass... yes, this being a Pentax forum, I am constantly reminded that one can use old manual lenses and can still take great photos with them. You can do the same with a Holga - now that's amazing (or possibly just a tired platitude). But personally I bought into a modern dSLR system not only for a good choice of good quality lenses, but also for the other advantages of modern dSLR systems, including open-aperture auto metering and/or autofocus.

Now I don't think we'll ever agree on the claim that there's "plenty of glass available". That depends on your definition of plenty... IMO, there is more than enough for most users. But if most users never progress beyond a cheap two-lens kit that comes with the camera, then anything beyond that is more than enough for most users... does that mean we should all be content with a couple of budget zooms? I don't think so. Nor do I believe we should have to be content with the current situation. Of course I shoot what I can get now and make the most of it, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to have more options... or from being worried if it looks like we might end up having less options.

Previously if Pentax's offerings didn't meet my requirements, there were alternatives from Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina. Now, the Tokina options are gone... with the exception of the 'Pentax/Tokina' lenses and one 19-35mm. Now, Tamron make their best lenses for other mounts... Nikon, Canon, and Sony... but not Pentax. Now, Sigma will re-engineer lenses for other mounts yet still not bother to make them for Pentax...

Meanwhile, ask any of these companies for any indication at all of whether they plan to make SDM-compatible lenses, or even to release lenses for K-mount, and you'll get the standard response of "We have no plans...". Meanwhile the same companies not only continue to produce all their lenses in huge quantities for Canon and Nikon... they're falling over themselves to react when Nikon makes a camera with a crippled lens mount (which even Nikonians don't like!). And now Nikon and Canon are putting IS/VR in budget lenses and even kit lenses... something else for the third-parties to catch up on (which they will do because they can't afford to ignore Canon and Nikon)... so no, it doesn't seem that unlikely to me that Pentax may get more and more left behind.

So I'm concerned. It won't keep me up at night but it's something I'm going to talk about on a forum intended for the discussion of Pentax lenses. When I'm proven wrong by the release of the new Pentax glass, and the release of new good quality third-party glass for the K-mount and not only for other mounts, I'll accept my concern was misplaced. Until then, I'll keep complaining and prophesising doom unless "Don't worry, be happy" is made an official forum rule
12-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #51
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Well I wouldn't say "don't worry, be happy" but we're not in dire straits currently. Sigma still does support the line very well and even better than Pentax does. You can go from an ultra wide all the way to 800mm. Now that area is for the select few. no matter how serious you are or want to be, there aren't many with $5-8,000.00 laying around to buy a fast long hobby lens.

My intent with this thread was to try and make it clear to Sigma that many of us still want and will buy a reasonably priced fast zoom, if they produce it. I also have faith that Pentax will produce more lenses soon. It does take time. I remember the day when the lens catalog from Pentax would rival any brand for quality and selection. I'm willing to bet that those days will return. The K10D is still selling much higher than expectations and the new body will sell even better if even 25% of the rumours are true.

That being said I found a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 on my recent trip to Florida and it's a beautiful piece of glass. Well worth the price. I'm sure the lens in question here would be a great addition to anyones bag if they could get one.
12-16-2007, 06:05 AM   #52
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
So I guess that's it for voters?

12-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #53

I noticed no one mentioned that at one time the Sigma web site did list Pentax mount for that lens as 'coming soon' and now no longer lists it at all.

In fact I have had some emails back and forth from Sigma (last spring) saying it would be available 'sometime in the summer' and as of my last two emails I have not even gotten a response from Sigma about this lens.

Leads me to believe they are not going to make it.

I voted that I would buy it, and if it came out I probably would. Though now that I have the DA* 50-135 It isn't as important as it once was. I would rather see a good 300mm f2.8 that was under two grand.

-John

Last edited by tobiasj; 12-17-2007 at 08:54 AM.
12-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #54

Photos: Gallery
I vote for "Can't afford it now but maybe".
I am really interested in this lens, but it should be offerred at a reasonable price, compared with CaNikons'.
12-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #55
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tobiasj Quote
I noticed no one mentioned that at one time the Sigma web site did list Pentax mount for that lens as 'coming soon' and now no longer lists it at all.

In fact I have had some emails back and forth from Sigma (last spring) saying it would be available 'sometime in the summer' and as of my last two emails I have not even gotten a response from Sigma about this lens.

Leads me to believe they are not going to make it.

I voted that I would buy it, and if it came out I probably would. Though now that I have the DA* 50-135 It isn't as important as it once was. I would rather see a good 300mm f2.8 that was under two grand.

-John
John, I would be very surprised if anyone could make a 300 f2.8 that is under $2000.00 The Sigma version is about as cheap as you could probably ever find. I think the old FA* 300mm f2.8 was around $4500 when it was new.
I last wrote Sigma in late October and they answered back with the standard 'we're working on it" I hope they still are and maybe the Jan announcement on a new body either has them stalled or waiting to see what the new bodies sales impact will be.
12-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Thinking about it and as I understand more and more, I would buy it in a heart beat...
12-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #57

I have got the Sigma 70-200 2.8 without HSM. At f2.8 the pictures are rather soft. That doesn't matter. But that lens has problems with the focus. Sigma can't repair it. They say that my camera causes the problems. I've tried it with 6 cameras... Now I replace that lens by the FA* 80-200 2.8. The Sigma 18-50 2.8 is already replaced by a DA 16-45. These two f2.8 lenses were the last Sigma lenses I bought. Never again Sigma.
12-29-2007, 12:49 AM   #58
Inactive Account

I have Sigma 70-200 2.8 and 300 2.8. I buy also pentax 50-135. I decided sold my Sigmas, because pictures are soft. I noticet that 50-135 is also soft and pictures was backfocused. I tried my Ist D and all lenses was good. I go debug meny and turn fogus -50 um and now all lenses is not soft. Sigma 70-200 more faster, than 50-135. I don´t sell my Sigma lenses.
12-29-2007, 04:01 AM   #59
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
As we're approaching the end of the month and the poll has a life of 30 days. Anyone care to cast a vote before I send this off to Sigma?
01-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #60
pem

I'm a new owner of a K10 and would absolutely purchase the Sigma 70-200. I did not know the K10 has such a limited lens option for fast longer lens.