Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Wallmex pro 650-1300mm for Pentax

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anyone know anything about the quality of this lens:

Walimex - Shop - Walimex pro 650-1300/8-16 Tele für Pentax/Samsung Nr. 15871 Walimex pro 650-1300/8-16 Tele für Pentax/Samsung Nr. 15871 15871 ?

Price in Swiss Franc, around 300 Euros

Text in german, somewhat translated through google translate:

suitable for the following cameras: Pentax * ist D, * ist Ds, istDL, * ist DS2, * ist DL2, K100D, K110D, K100D Super, K200D, K10D, K20D, K-7, Kr, Kx, Km, Samsung GX Series
Super-telephoto zoom lens with T2 connection
ideal for wildlife photography
Closest focusing distance of only 5 meters
manual focus
Internal Focusing
aperture priority and manual exposure setting
including metal lens hood
using the stable tripod mount, the lens can focus optimized fixed on a tripod
including high-quality storage bag and lens cap
the camera is not included
Tip: focal length doubling with optional 2x Converter T2 (1300-2600mm)!
Delivery including adapter
this lens is used with the adapters we supply many other cameras:
Olympus OM, Olympus 4 / 3, Olympus micro 4 / 3, Canon AF, Canon FD, Nikon AF / MF, Minolta AF, Minolta MD, Pentax, Leica R / SL, Praktica, Samsung, Sony Alpha

When used on digital SLR cameras (eg Pentax Km, K-7, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, istDL, Samsung GX-Series) is obtained by the focal length of 1.5 A super telephoto with an equivalent focal length of 975 -1950mm! (Or 1950-3900mm with 2x optional converter)

This has walimex telephoto zoom lens has an unusually high focal range of 650-1300mm with a maximum aperture of 8.0 to 16 (depending on focal length). The rugged metal housing and high quality tempered glass lenses ensure a good image quality. The internal focus (ie the front lens rotates when focusing is not) allows the use of poles and graduated filters. With the help of the stable tripod mount, the lens can focus optimized fixed on a tripod (because of the high focal length, we recommend using a tripod to get steady shots). With a relatively small minimum focusing distance of only 5 meters, the lens allows for a sensational 1300mm magnification. Focusing is done manually. The lens can be used with aperture priority and manual exposure setting. Thanks to the easy handling, the lens is ideally suited for beginners.

Technical data:

Focal length range 650-1300mm
8-16 burning intensity depends far
Angle of 3.8 ° -2.0 °
Filter diameter 95mm
Close focusing distance 5m
Groups lens / lenses 5 / 8
Front diameter 105mm
smallest aperture 16 (at 1300mm)
Tripod mounting on tripod mount on the lens
Tripod connection 5 / 8''
minimum length 463mm
maximum length 590mm
Weight 2000g

09-12-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
so far this kind of lense is not very good. with a very poor aperture.

And you pay what you get : cheap and not very good.

Can be usefull time to time, but if you really want some long range lense, you will need to pay *a bit* more.
09-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Agreed, it has not-very-good optics at a not-very-good price. Good lenses in the 1m+ range are rather costly. Good zooms in that range are prohibitively expensive. Any lens in that range is also extremely difficult to use, needing a very sturdy tripod, bright sun, and a sleeping or dead subject. I have a Rubinar Makpo 1000/10 mirror (cost: US$225 shipped) that weighs ~1.8kg and sees very little use. The lens you are considering is heavier, slower, and optically inferior. It is for suckers. Avoid it.
09-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like it is sold under different names including Samyang, bower etc.

Some decent images in flickr
650-1300mm - Flickr: Search

ebay has different versions for cheaper
650-1300 pentax | eBay

09-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I actually own the Kalimar brand of this lens. Front element is concave(!). Considering focal length and price, it actually produces reasonable image quality if you can hold it still, of course center sharpness is better than at edges. I paid US$75 for mine. Still asking myself "What was I thinking?" The answer to myself is always "You weren't." But hey, it will get the image when there's no other way. At least that's what I say to comfort myself. Right now it is just outside my door on a tripod, with T-mount convert-lens-to-telescope attachment. I can see a small dog walking down the road 10km away, through the thermal waves. Might be a fox, but I doubt it -- they are more active at night. Too dim for Astro without a tracking mount. Moon photography, well, a crop from 400mm 'wunder-tube' looks better to my eyes.
09-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it better than a da* 300 with double stacked 2x tcs? Prolly not.