Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
RMC Tokina 70-210mm F3.5 is the same as Tokina Vivitar Series I 70-210mm ?

Is it the same lens with 'original' branding?

09-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Tokina made the Version 2 of that Vivitar lens, but the Tokina RMC (rainbow multi-coating) lenses were their consumer-grade offerings. Their pro series were labeled ATX. I'm not sure where their SD series fits in there; I think that was consumer-grade too. So for a lens in the same league as the Viv S1, look for a Tokina ATX. Hope this helps!
09-13-2011, 02:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I read somewhere that Tokina 70-210 3.5 come in two flavor. The older one is with two dials. The latter looks the same as the Tokina Vivitar Series I thing.
09-13-2011, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'm not sure where their SD series fits in there; I think that was consumer-grade too.
SD is not a Tokina series, it's a technology - Super Low Dispersion:

QuoteQuote:
When standard optical glass is used in telephoto lenses, a phenomenon called chromatic aberration can occur. Chromatic aberration is the inherent tendency for glass to disperse (separate) a ray of light into the colors of the rainbow. The rainbow effect created by a glass prism is the most dramatic demonstration of chromatic aberration. In lenses, it is much less pronounced, but still creates slightly out of focus colors, akin to an “optical noise” that has a negative impact on the quality of the picture. To eliminate chromatic aberration, Tokina employs expensive, special glass material having super- low dispersion (SD) properties.

Lenses in the Tokina line-up with the SD mark incorporate these Super-Low Dispersion glass elements, minimizing the secondary spectrum or optical noise caused by chromatic aberration.

09-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
SD is not a Tokina series, it's a technology - Super Low Dispersion:
Tokina did indeed have an SD (consumer) lens series as opposed to ATX (professional) lens series with mostly mediocre performance. A Tokina SD 28-70/3.5-4.5, does this budget lens look as if it would have a 'Super Low Dispersion' element incorporated in the design?

Thanks,
09-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Tokina did indeed have an SD (consumer) lens series as opposed to ATX (professional) lens series with mostly mediocre performance. A Tokina SD 28-70/3.5-4.5, does this budget lens look as if it would have a 'Super Low Dispersion' element incorporated in the design?
Alas, my Tokina SD is a 35-200/4-5.6 in PKA mount, a rather nondescript one-touch with zoom-creep up the wazoo. Not much CA, no PF, but still not exactly a sterling performer. Good thing it was just US$5 (shipped) a couple weeks ago.
09-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone with both of the RMC Tokina and (Tokina) Vivitar Series I ? From pictures on the net those things looks very similar.
RioRico, it seems that you are somehow browsing an internet marketplace that is simply out of this world

Last edited by minahasa; 09-13-2011 at 08:57 PM.
09-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
RioRico, it seems that you are somehow browsing an internet marketplace that is simply out of this world
Just eBay. Out of ~330 lenses I've bought over the last 3.4 years, maybe 15 were from sources other than eBay. This Tokina was actually ten bucks shipped, but the seller threw in a Hanimex HMC 28/2.8 in PKA mount for free, so I call those five bucks each. I've already revealed my secret: Bid low; bid often; lose 99% of auctions; don't sweat it, another will start immediately. All it takes is time. My time is worthless, so no problem! NOTE: I've sold ~110 of those lenses to help pay for the keepers. If I want to buy something, I must sell something first. That way my obsession is self-financing.
09-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
RioRico, that's what I've been doing for the past 3-4 months now.

Last edited by minahasa; 09-14-2011 at 09:45 AM.
09-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My tactics are a little different (I probably actually bid less) but regardless, there are bargains to be had on ebay if you are patient. My watch list is always full and I use other lists to keep watch on more than ebay allows in the watch list. Anything potentially good is in my list but I don't really pay attention to any till they are about to end. I'll set a low snipe in software and if I get it, fine, if not, who cares. I also keep good items in my list that didn't sell and see how they are re listed (you would be surprised how many get re listed many times). I actually bought a canon teleconverter (tl-55 3x, kind of rare) that was listed 5 or 6 times, a little cheaper each time and then negotiated even cheaper. I have a sigma 28-200mm AF on the way that was re listed several times. I think it might have been listed at 65$ once and I know it was listed at 45$ a few times (plus 12$ shipping). I offered 18$ once near the end of the auction (there were 2 other offers, less I assume). So I offered 20$ the next time and got a counter offer of 30$. I sent a message that it was too close to keh prices with guaranteed condition and a 6 month warranty and 20 was about as high as I could go. I also pointed out that I could care less about the film camera and only wanted the lens. He also agreed to reduce shipping but only reduced it to 9$ (it would only cost 5-6 but I'm not going to nitpick a few dollars after successfully low balling him like that). I there for got it for 29$ shipped. Not the greatest price in the world but about 18$ cheaper than keh bargain grade shipped and defiantly cheaper than they usually go for on ebay. I guess after a month plus of listing it he decided I was right about its value. I have watched maybe 100 28-200mm Af lenses recently and this is cheaper than any have sold for. It is supposed to be in good shape, works fine, lens is clean with no haze, fungus or scratches. Pic looks fine but there is a lot you can hide in pics. If it is that good its a bargain to me (I have also got many others as cheap as 3.50$ ea in lots and my prized ricoh 50mm for 6$ that is as sharp as a henkel butcher knife strapped to the front of an sr-71 blackbird.

One of my saved searches that I click often is the simple term "lens", ending in the next hour, us only, used, less than 5$, price plus shipping lowest first. It usually hits garbage but I have gotten a few great bargains on it. I am shying away from buying anymore right now as I have too many piling up that I haven't even used yet (and a half dozen half torn apart waiting for mount change). I'm guessing I have averaged less than 10$ shipped per lens including averaging in the expensive ones.
09-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tokina 70-210 f/3,5

Hi,

Tokina RMC 70-210 f/3,5 it is not the same as Tokina-Vivitar series 1 70-210 f/3,5 v2. The filter diameter of Tokina RMC 70-210 f/3,5 , as far as I know is 72 mm., while Tok-Viv 70-210 series 1 v2 is only 62 mm.

However, there is also a Vivitar ( not series 1 ) version of such Tokina RMC 70-210 f/3,5 also with 72 mm. filter thread.

Regards
09-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jopenmx Quote
Hi,

Tokina RMC 70-210 f/3,5 it is not the same as Tokina-Vivitar series 1 70-210 f/3,5 v2. The filter diameter of Tokina RMC 70-210 f/3,5 , as far as I know is 72 mm., while Tok-Viv 70-210 series 1 v2 is only 62 mm.

However, there is also a Vivitar ( not series 1 ) version of such Tokina RMC 70-210 f/3,5 also with 72 mm. filter thread.

Regards
..yet there is Tokina RMC 70-210 f/3.5 with 62mm filter thread