Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian
RoxnDox's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gig Harbor, Washington, USA, Terra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,096
Nice pics, Phil - I'd have liked to go up for hte festival but other "stuff" interfered... Maybe next year.

I normally tote a shoulder bag (its at home and I forget the brand..) with space for hte K100D, one lens and a few filters plus little rocket blower... Spare batts and SD cards ride in the outside pocket I usually have the DA 12-24 on, with my Promaster 70-300 as the alternate when I want the reach. It's not a bad setup for carrying around all day, or for travel (I do several trips a year for work, to various scenic spots).

Jim in Gig Harbor

09-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
I do a bit of travel for work when picture taking is not first priority. This last trip I had K20 and M40 2.8 - almost pocketable. Woke early Monday morning to this view.
.
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I also do a lot of travel, for work, and almost always travelled in the past with my Kodak DX 7590 Bridge camera.

My present small kit usually is 3-4 lenses, 24, 28, 35 and 50mm. occasionally I will drop the 28 and add an 85mm
QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
My last vacation I took the K-x, 18-55 and 55-300 all loaded in a crumpler small insert. The camera was always with me in a backpack/messenger bag and I didn't need to have an additional camera bag. Worked quite well.

The 55-300 ended up being a bit of a luxury, the 18-55 worked in most occasions. In the future I'll probably take a fast 50 with me instead.
QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
I am enjoying my Tamron 24-135 on my K20 body for walking around. Add a wide prime such as a 14 or 15 (21 might be a bit close, though small).).
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Nice pics, Phil - I'd have liked to go up for hte festival but other "stuff" interfered... Maybe next year.

I normally tote a shoulder bag (its at home and I forget the brand..) with space for hte K100D, one lens and a few filters plus little rocket blower... Spare batts and SD cards ride in the outside pocket I usually have the DA 12-24 on, with my Promaster 70-300 as the alternate when I want the reach. It's not a bad setup for carrying around all day, or for travel (I do several trips a year for work, to various scenic spots).

Jim in Gig Harbor
Lots of great ideas in previous posts. I believe in taking lenses one enjoys using, for whatever reason, and fewer lenses.

Anyway, i'm working the problem so that i can do some extended traveling in nearby states over the next year, and yet carry a smaller kit. I've decided on selling 2 lenses that are too large for me, more later.

But i like your guys attitude, esp. RonHendricks: take just one lens, you'll still end up with several pics - or something to that effect. So true!
09-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
Over in the GENERAL PHOTO forum is the thread My Time With Henri Cartier-Bresson by a fellow who was assigned as HCB's gofer during a visit to Delhi, India. I noted HCB's kit: one small camera, one small lens, no strap, no bag, nothing else. The gofer carried a small bag with a backup body, extra lens, and lotsa film carts. On scene, HCB dashed around shooting stuff, returning to the gofer to swap film carts. Extremely minimal.

We don't need someone to schlep film now, so the modern equivalent to HCB's kit might a Kr on a hand strap with a 31Ltd mounted and maybe a 15Ltd in the pocket. (I might prefer the F35-70 mounted; I'm not so agile.) Backup batteries and SDHC card in another pocket, sure. But nothing hanging off shoulder or around neck or off belt. Just the camera as an extension of hand and eye and brain. That would be an easy load to carry to a multi-day fest, eh?

REALITY: I carry too much stuff. But it's good to have, or so I tell myself. And sometimes I even use it.
09-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #19
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Over in the GENERAL PHOTO forum is the thread My Time With Henri Cartier-Bresson by a fellow who was assigned as HCB's gofer during a visit to Delhi, India. I noted HCB's kit: one small camera, one small lens, no strap, no bag, nothing else. The gofer carried a small bag with a backup body, extra lens, and lotsa film carts. On scene, HCB dashed around shooting stuff, returning to the gofer to swap film carts. Extremely minimal.

We don't need someone to schlep film now, so the modern equivalent to HCB's kit might a Kr on a hand strap with a 31Ltd mounted and maybe a 15Ltd in the pocket. (I might prefer the F35-70 mounted; I'm not so agile.) Backup batteries and SDHC card in another pocket, sure. But nothing hanging off shoulder or around neck or off belt. Just the camera as an extension of hand and eye and brain. That would be an easy load to carry to a multi-day fest, eh?ure

REALITY: I carry too much stuff. But it's good to have, or so I tell myself. And sometimes I even use it.
Rio,
thank you very much for the link. I have a small condensed pocketbook of several of his photographs, admire and respect a lot of the things he did.

A coupla weeks ago, i arrived at a favorite place of mine, intending to do a photographic beach hike, in the fog. Forgot to bring the lenses i had intended to use, and was left solely with a DA -300. And guess what, i got some good pictures out of it by being "forced" to use just one lens. There's probably more than one lesson there for me

09-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Photos: Albums
Posts: 302
I have done some photography teaching and one thing I have always done is to have the students go out photgraphing with only the camera and one prime lens, never a zoom. I don't care which lens, that is up to them. Restricting your equipment forces you to adapt and think more about what you are going to photograph and how to do it. Sometimes I will also require them not to hand hold the camera, but to use a tripod.
09-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
And guess what, i got some good pictures out of it by being "forced" to use just one lens. There's probably more than one lesson there for me
That's one reason I practice my lens-of-the-day strategy. What's up: I have MANY lenses and I don't want them unused. Solution: Grab one and use it! And ONLY that one! Learn to see how it sees. Some LOTD glass gets promoted to my regular kit. I found that an M42 Alpa-Chinon 300/5.6 makes a helluva good walkaround lens!

QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
Restricting your equipment forces you to adapt and think more about what you are going to photograph and how to do it. Sometimes I will also require them not to hand hold the camera, but to use a tripod.
And that's another great trick. When I'm in a certain steep border mining town (Old Bisbee Arizona), I often arise well before dawn and stalk the hills with camera and prime on tripod. Then continue on into the day with maybe a different lens. Limits force us to think and see. That's why I like narrow themes: shoot one thing, but well.
09-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member
Jimfear's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 576
Is it just me or doesn't anyone else think weight is no problem? I have lugged around my bag intensively (all day, many days in a row) for something in the likes of three months this year and only a few times have I wanted a smaller set. My philosophy is that I'd rather have all the gear with me all the time, even though I don't use everything all the time (this especially holds true when travelling, you don't know what you'll see and you cannot come back tomorrow with the right lens).

Besides, you get a good workout carrying around a few extra kilos all the time.
09-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
If I go with a fixed FL I use my film RF and am thinking of getting an X100. But with an SLR I take a zoom or 3 primes because an SLR is designed for FL versatility.

09-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #24
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,433
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Is it just me or doesn't anyone else think weight is no problem? I have lugged around my bag intensively (all day, many days in a row) for something in the likes of three months this year and only a few times have I wanted a smaller set. My philosophy is that I'd rather have all the gear with me all the time, even though I don't use everything all the time (this especially holds true when travelling, you don't know what you'll see and you cannot come back tomorrow with the right lens).

Besides, you get a good workout carrying around a few extra kilos all the time.
Yeah, pretty much that.
09-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Besides, you get a good workout carrying around a few extra kilos all the time.
Big old shoulder bags were photography's gift to chiropractors.

I usually don't mind lugging my usual 3-kilo (or whatever) carry bag. Sometimes I even swap lenses. Depending on situations, I may swap them fairly often. But even if I'm not on a lens-of-the-day exercise, sometimes one lens just stays in place for a week or three. Then I must decide: Schlep this on my shoulder or leave it in the car?

What I *don't* use is a lens vest. Too hot. I need a pack llama. Or a bearer. Oh Ansel, pass me the Lil'Bigma if you would, that's a good chap.
09-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #26
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,009
I purchased a Cotton Carrier over the summer and consider it one of the best purchases I have made. It's a mesh vest and the camera attaches to it at chest level. You can carry your camera all day and it's always handy. I carry a couple of extra lenses in an old P&S bag that is hanging from my belt. I expect it to be a real benefit on xc ski trips and snowshoe hikes this winter.
09-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,413
My wife and I did a similar thing on our last visit to the Anderson Japanese Gardens in August. She used to take pictures a lot, now not so much. I set up the K10 with the 10-17mm Fisheye for her - fun for composition. I used a M50 f/2 on the K-5. Limiting for composition, but a nice warm lens IMHO, and not difficult with CIF. I have yet to edit and post those pictures.

My wife replied it was fun but she wants the "mommy lens" - a superzoom.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bag, camera, canikon, da21, day, days, k-mount, mine, owners, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens, tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrying a dSLR on a motorcycle? demuire Pentax DSLR Discussion 25 05-19-2013 09:24 AM
Machinery Wooden Boat Festival GeoffR Post Your Photos! 4 02-15-2011 09:51 AM
Reflection of a Wooden Sail Boat mjkwee Monthly Photo Contests 0 09-06-2010 07:37 PM
Carrying DSLR on bicycle rpriedhorsky Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 48 12-03-2009 09:23 PM
Wooden Boat In The Rain Nitrok Post Your Photos! 22 07-11-2009 12:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top