Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My experience with carrying a dslr for 3 days of a wooden boat festival

I don't travel that much, so the occasional post about traveling and what lenses to bring along - i usually read only for curiosity.

But this last weekend, a friend arrived on my doorstep, wanting to take in all 3 days of a local wooden boat festival, complete with lots of boats, on and off the water, and wall to wall people, in general. Lots of walking and 80-90 deg temps.

The first day, i took along a Crumpler bag with my K5, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, DA21, DA35, and an A-135f2.8. By the last day, i was taking only the Tamron and the DA21 to save on weight.

I think anyone planning a trip, really ought to take a practice run with any equip. they are planning, and spend 4 hours carrying their equipment in a hot sun.

Most people i saw, were carrying a smaller camera bag than mine, or none at all. Some of the Canikon owners were carrying a large camera and a large tele, which i didn't envy at all. Most dslr owners were using a small zoom from what i could tell - prob. similar to mine. I think Pentax probably targeted the DA 18-135 for folks on travel, it would seem ideal.

Anyway, after 3 days of carrying my camera equip., I can understand better why some Canikon owners are moving to the smaller size Pentax bodies, and why some Pentax owners are moving to the new mirrorless versions of dslrs.

09-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those kinda things, I dont even carry a bag, The camera on a Carry Speed strap, and a Think Tank lens bag, Depending on event, Ill take the 17-50 2.8 and a super wide angle or something. The bag hooks right onto my belt, and its great for easy lens swaps.
09-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The DA21 is great for walking about. Many (most?) of my vacation photos are done with it. Small and good.

The DA40 is similarly good for travel. Mount it and then go have fun and shoot for a few hours. They are fun lenses, too.
09-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pfffft.. people should just get tougher!

09-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

I am travelling a lot and my favority setup is:
K-7 + DA18-250mm

together with a top loader bag (Lowepro TLZ1): https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/lowepro-toploader-tlz1.html.

Typically the camera & lens stay protected in the padded bag until needed, and I can carry a spare card, battery, lens cloth and battery charger in the outside pocket of the bag. I used the setup for 2 years now, including for some long bush walk (over 6 h). I can recommend it strongly this setup incl. for overseas travels.
09-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like my K-x and the da40 and da15 combo for being on the move. One on the camera and the other in my pocket.
For camera protection I just use a Zing neoprene cover and wear the strap across my chest over one shoulder.

If I really think I'll need reach I'll add a DA L 55-300 and a Crumpler Four Million Dollar Home "man purse" style bag. Or a flash in that bag but not both the flash and the zoom.
09-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK . . . but where's this years Wooden Boat Festival pictures for the Nautical Social Group?

H2 (ex-Whidbey Is sailer)

09-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Pentaxians are really having it better wrt encumbrance from camera and lenses.
Many ppl using Canikon complain that they need to suffer for their art, but don't realize that Pentaxians are enjoying smaller cameras and lenses.

I find that with a camera slung across the body it can easily be carried for a whole day without fatigue (even a FA*80-200).
The sling just needs to be on the long side so that its still easily brought up to eye level.

The DA18-135 is indeed a very good lens for outdoor use. Small for its FL range; wide enough for most scapes; long enough for some longer shots (not birds obviously) and good close up ability. Top of with WR, its almost perfect for the job except for the lack of fast aperture.
09-13-2011, 01:57 AM   #9
Banned

Any pictures to see of this?

Well traveling light is very smart I think. If you only take one lens you still end up with a set of beautiful pictures.
09-13-2011, 04:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
+1 to that

almost always bring my DA21 and F50 with me. so small, they don't bother me at all. REcently I often add the DFA 100 WR to that list. And on my camera, there is usually the Sigma 17-70 or DA 18-55 WR mounted. That way I have convenience and reliability at all times.

If the situation warrants it, I'll also bring my FA 100-300, and Sigma 530 flash. But it depends on what I plan to shoot, how long I'll shoot. I also change my bag according to the situation.
09-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I do a bit of travel for work when picture taking is not first priority. This last trip I had K20 and M40 2.8 - almost pocketable. Woke early Monday morning to this view.

Just know if I leave camera at home then I will miss a huge pic opportunity so this kit works for me. When travelling for pic making use a different bag and stack of different combos depending on anticipated opportunities. Backpack in use at this time.
09-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
I do a bit of travel for work when picture taking is not first priority. This last trip I had K20 and M40 2.8 - almost pocketable. Woke early Monday morning to this view.

Just know if I leave camera at home then I will miss a huge pic opportunity so this kit works for me. When travelling for pic making use a different bag and stack of different combos depending on anticipated opportunities. Backpack in use at this time.
I also do a lot of travel, for work, and almost always travelled in the past with my Kodak DX 7590 Bridge camera. It probably has close to a million air miles on it, and the cosmetic abuse to prove it. I almost never travel without a camera, but lately have been leaving the bridge camera at home, and taking a single DSLR and a few primes. I found the bridge camera was not too bad but the 36mm (35mm equivelent ) minimum focal length is a bit limiting. Unfortunately I can't do any better with my DSLR unless I take some quite large lenses. Both my K and M42 kits bottom out at 24mm although I did add reciently the samyang 14mmF2.8 but this is a huge lens by comparison.

My present small kit usually is 3-4 lenses, 24, 28, 35 and 50mm. occasionally I will drop the 28 and add an 85mm
09-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My last vacation I took the K-x, 18-55 and 55-300 all loaded in a crumpler small insert. The camera was always with me in a backpack/messenger bag and I didn't need to have an additional camera bag. Worked quite well.

The 55-300 ended up being a bit of a luxury, the 18-55 worked in most occasions. In the future I'll probably take a fast 50 with me instead.
09-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am enjoying my Tamron 24-135 on my K20 body for walking around. Add a wide prime such as a 14 or 15 (21 might be a bit close, though small). It is not a light-weight lens (almost twice that of a 16-45), but I like the versitality. It is a full frame lens and you are using the center only on a DSLR and getting great image quality (you could also take a light weight film body along).
09-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Well traveling light is very smart I think. If you only take one lens you still end up with a set of beautiful pictures.
Well, if you insist - . I have been to so many of these shows, i didn't want to add more boat pics to the hard drives so tried to keep the pics to a min. But for those who haven't seen it before or really into boating, its quite an amazing spectacle if you can make it to the show next year. Always in early Sept.

(For the economy being in the tank, there was no sign of that at this wooden boat festival. As many boats and people i've seen in any year).

I'm not really complaining about the weight of the camera gear so much, but bulk. I used the 28-75 most, the A-135 a little, the Da-21 a little.

Lots of interesting comments - thank you!