Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #1

Rescuing a Lens that has been in the ocean

Hey everyone, so this is actually for my compact camera, but I figured it should go here since only the lens is affected. My camera went for a swim in the ocean awhile back, and against all odds, and after some effort on my part the camera is still functioning, it turns on, zooms in and out, and takes pictures. The problem is one of the internal lens elements has a film on it from the salt water, so all the pictures come out blurry. I don't think it is possible to disassemble the lens and clean the element manually, so I was wondering if there is some sort of solution I can soak the lens in for a period of time that will dissolve the film without causing any other issues. I have removed the lens from the body so all that would be getting submerged would be the lens itself and the zoom/focus motor assembly. If anyone has any knowledge or tips it would be great!

Thanks

09-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it was only salt water, would simply soaking it in regular water work? Assuming all you need to do is soak away a salt film...
09-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Distilled water would be better than tap. It will dissolve mineral salts faster (not sure how much faster), and is unlikely to leave a residue of its own (it can't, as long as it's pure).

I'd say try a repeated bath in distilled water, changing the water maybe twice a day, repeat idk, 6-12 times? See if that helps. It would be a cheap experiment anyway. You may want to keep whatever container you use covered while it's soaking, to prevent dust and contaminants from getting into the water.

Remember too that hot water dissolves stuff better than cold, but if there's air in between the lens elements that might not be a good idea unless the increased air pressure from heating can escape.