Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Thank you all for responding.
I can't say more about the condition of the lens because its still on the way to me. I have to confess that it is part my mistake. The seller did not say it, but I also failed to see that this lens has been mutilated. It was selling on a local internet marketplace here, I bought and paid in a hurry before really examine the pics given by the seller. The seller did ensure that the aperture ring operates with 'clicks' and in "A" setting it can still be detected on camera body. I could send the lens back to the seller, but after I see how much damage is done. Like I said earlier, if this is not A 50/1.4 then this thread won't exist and I would not be here to trouble you all

So without the lever, how much handicapped this lens would be, other than become "preset", if working in other than DSLR M mode?

09-15-2011, 01:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
So without the lever, how much handicapped this lens would be, other than become "preset", if working in other than DSLR M mode?
If the iris still closes and opens when you set the aperture ring, then the lens is as usable as any with a simple PK mount or adapter. It would behave like a T2 or M42 or one of my chop-jobs. No aperture automation at all, but still usable. How happy you would be with it, is another matter.

Last edited by RioRico; 09-15-2011 at 07:31 AM.
09-15-2011, 02:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you would be much happier returning it and finding one with the lever as you will probably get exposure errors with stop-down metering.
09-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The aperture ring clicks at 1.4, 2, then half and full stops to 16, then 22. So setting f1.7 is harder with just the aperture ring; you'd have to stop in the middle somewhere. Metering might be off, and might be different between bodies. Using it on the Super-Program is tricky, because the uncrippled mount can tell where the aperture ring is set, but the camera can't stop down the lens to that point. I can't figure out how to trick the Super Program.

Resale value is affected. The minimum is about the price of the M version. On a Canon site, it might be worth more.

Here's a lens that I don't mind seeing vandalized:

PENTAX TAKUMAR 135MM F/2.5 CONVERTED TO CANON AF EOS MOUNT | eBay

09-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Here's a lens that I don't mind seeing vandalized:

PENTAX TAKUMAR 135MM F/2.5 CONVERTED TO CANON AF EOS MOUNT | eBay
Notice that the scum-sucking misrepresenting seller doesn't disclose that it's the Takumar Bayonet. Is this normal in the Canon market?
09-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To my surprise a about 2 hours ago the seller send me a message that he offers full refund and the lens is in fact not mailed yet! So he is either a very good seller that gives full service, or a very good seller that sells to the highest bidder.. probably another Pentaxian that feel capable of servicing this with a breeze. FYI the seller sold this to me $55 shipped
09-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #22
Veteran Member

To my surprise a about 2 hours ago the seller send me a message that he offers full refund and the lens is in fact not mailed yet! So he is either a very good seller that gives full service, or a very good seller that sells to the highest bidder.. probably another Pentaxian that feel capable of servicing this with a breeze. FYI the seller sold this to me $55 shipped
Good. You will be happier with a better copy. I only accept trashed lenses if they're REALLY cheap.

09-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #23

I don't know dude, that's a pretty good price for that lens, even if its a little crippled, they usually go for ~$150 here in States.
09-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Good. You will be happier with a better copy. I only accept trashed lenses if they're REALLY cheap.
Yeah, I already have plenty of 50's anyway

QuoteOriginally posted by VaSA Quote
I don't know dude, that's a pretty good price for that lens, even if its a little crippled, they usually go for ~$150 here in States.
..yet, can't have too much 50's ..i'ts never enough
09-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Notice that the scum-sucking misrepresenting seller doesn't disclose that it's the Takumar Bayonet. Is this normal in the Canon market?
That's normal everywhere, sadly.

I hear the Bayonet version is simply awesome on the full-frame Canon!

(actually corner performance is noticeably bad on APS-C at 6Mp, don't tell them.)