Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good A 50mm F1.4 aperture lever ruined by "vandals", is there a way to cure it?

Just got this, unfortunately the seller 'forget' to mention that the aperture lever is no longer there Definitely this poor lens has been held prisoner and tormented by a *anonian vandals

Is there a way to restore this? Can I transplant another lever from, say, A 50/2?

Last edited by minahasa; 09-14-2011 at 10:15 AM.
09-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think it would be wisest to sell it off to a *anonian and buy a non-mutilated one for your own use?
09-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I think it would be wisest to sell it off to a *anonian and buy a non-mutilated one for your own use?
I could probably do that, but this is the first A50/1.4 that I see selling close-by me this year.. I could be waiting for another year to see another one again, and if It did show up, probably it will still be another victim..
09-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

you should ask "Douglas_of_sweden", with some other forumer, they have a kind of impossible lense thread, where they explain how to change the mount of other brands by a Pentax one.

Maybe they can give you a hand on how to fix your lense ?

impossible lens club : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/64271-impossible-lens-club.html

edit.

i was thinking, that without this lever, in fact, it transform from A to a sort of K version ?

Last edited by aurele; 09-14-2011 at 10:34 AM.
09-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
aurele, this lens lost only the lever, at least what I can conclude this far, as the aperture is still being detected by the camera, and I can still set the aperture from the camera.. It's now acting like a "preset", like the early Takumars?
09-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, I'm of no help as to your specific problem...but I do have a Vandals and levers non sequitur...(or maybe a full-on sequitur). Possibly one of Bob Dylan's finest lines:

"The pump don't work
'Cause the vandals took the handles"

Subterranean Homesick Blues

Johnny’s in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I’m on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he’s got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It’s somethin’ you did
God knows when
But you’re doin’ it again
You better duck down the alley way
Lookin’ for a new friend
The man in the coon-skin cap
By the big pen
Wants eleven dollar bills
You only got ten
Maggie comes fleet foot
Face full of black soot
Talkin’ that the heat put
Plants in the bed but
The phone’s tapped anyway
Maggie says that many say
They must bust in early May
Orders from the D.A.
Look out kid
Don’t matter what you did
Walk on your tiptoes
Don’t try “No-Doz”
Better stay away from those
That carry around a fire hose
Keep a clean nose
Watch the plain clothes
You don’t need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows
Get sick, get well
Hang around a ink well
Ring bell, hard to tell
If anything is goin’ to sell
Try hard, get barred
Get back, write braille
Get jailed, jump bail
Join the army, if you fail
Look out kid
You’re gonna get hit
But users, cheaters
Six-time losers
Hang around the theaters
Girl by the whirlpool
Lookin’ for a new fool
Don’t follow leaders
Watch the parkin’ meters
Ah get born, keep warm
Short pants, romance, learn to dance
Get dressed, get blessed
Try to be a success
Please her, please him, buy gifts
Don’t steal, don’t lift
Twenty years of schoolin’
And they put you on the day shift
Look out kid
They keep it all hid
Better jump down a manhole
Light yourself a candle
Don’t wear sandals
Try to avoid the scandals
Don’t wanna be a bum
You better chew gum
The pump don’t work
’Cause the vandals took the handles
Copyright 1965 by Warner Bros. Inc.; renewed 1993 by Special Rider Music
09-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Check if the aperture still closes down when you turn the aperture ring with the lens on the camera. If it does, then it will act like an M42 lens. >The problem is that when you stop down you will have less light to use to frame & focus, as the lens will not remain wide open until the shot is taken.
09-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wormtographer:

Jonathan Mac: Yes, the aperture still works fine. I do own a few M42 lenses, I don't really mind the dimming on my K20D viewfinder, but with a fully functional "A" lens I will get a simplified operation, also I got a Super Program and needed an "A" lens to work like it should on this body. I have an A50/2 that can be a donor, do you think that a transplantation will do any help? Is it even doable?

09-14-2011, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

The only punishment fit for this sort of crime is for the perpetrator to be hanged, drawn and quartered. That is he should be hanged almost to the point of death. Then emasculated, disemboweled, beheaded, and quartered. The pieces that are left should then be displayed outside stores that sell Canon gear.
09-14-2011, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I haven't any A50's but I've the M/1.7, M/2 and FA/1.4. I just inspected their bases. Each base has the same-size throat; I expect that your A/1.4 and A/2 are about the same. Implanting the A/2's lever mechanism into the A/1.4 thus should be do-able. But an A/2 has some value. You might look for a much less valuable M/2 as the mechanism donor, while keeping the base of your A/1.4. Good luck!

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The only punishment fit for this sort of crime is for the perpetrator to be hanged, drawn and quartered. That is he should be hanged almost to the point of death. Then emasculated, disemboweled, beheaded, and quartered. The pieces that are left should then be displayed outside stores that sell Canon gear.
But you're not bitter.
09-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
Jonathan Mac: Yes, the aperture still works fine. I do own a few M42 lenses, I don't really mind the dimming on my K20D viewfinder, but with a fully functional "A" lens I will get a simplified operation, also I got a Super Program and needed an "A" lens to work like it should on this body. I have an A50/2 that can be a donor, do you think that a transplantation will do any help? Is it even doable?
Probably not. The lenses don't share any other parts or construction. It's also bad that you can't see any lever at all on your lens. It's not just snipped short, it's missing. If it was snipped, you could use any old piece of metal or plastic, securely fastened to the remaining stub, shaped like the old lever. If the fastening held, it would work. No lever at all means no place to glue or screw in a replacement. The best way to be sure is to remove the mount and see what's there.

Edit: I changed my mind. I think I know what they did and the lens is repairable. You might be able to use parts from the A50/2 or make your own. Looking at my lens, the aperture lever is attached sort of like the one in this photo, except the one in the photo is riveted on. On the A50/1.4, it's screwed on with tiny screws. I think they removed the mount, took out those two screws and put the mount back on. You'll need tiny screws, possibly from an eyeglass repair kit. A decent screwdriver can remove the mount, JIS is best but it helps that someone has loosened the screws before. The lever itself is just a stamped tab, and the holes might not be the same spacing as the A50/2. I might fabricate a lever if the A50/2 lever is not identical.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 09-14-2011 at 12:13 PM.
09-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

just a few comments here, for the OP looks like the vandals are sigma owners, the aperture mechanism interferes on newer sigma bodies (i.e. those released after they terminated the agreement with pentax on the K mount)

dave, the idea is good, but I suspect the wheels will come off, specifically using a 50F2 as the doner lens. this is a bit of a guess on my part, but in looking at my various 50's the F1.4 lenses have a bigger in diameter rear element, and this may result in the mechanism from a 50/2 not fitting around the rear barrel.maybe the needed doner is something with a similar rear element diameter unfortunately that suggests a much more expensive doner lens, i.e. a longer fast lens.
09-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't think the whole mechanism in the photo will be the same on the A50/1.4. (Whenever I've wanted Pentax lenses to have interchangeable parts, they don't.) Most of that mechanism still exists on minahasa's lens, otherwise the blades wouldn't move when the apeture ring is turned. "Vandals" wouldn't break that function, or they'd be stuck with only one aperture. The aperture lever itself on the A50/2 might work, once the rivets are drilled out, or can provide an example of what the part looks like.
09-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The only thing missing is the aperture lever. You can open up the lens mount plate and see (or guess) how the lever was attached. Different lenses have different levers...

I got a K135/2.5 w the lever removed a couple of weeks ago. But lucky the seller kept the lever and screws. It's just a 10min job to put it back on.
09-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Probably not. The lenses don't share any other parts or construction. It's also bad that you can't see any lever at all on your lens. It's not just snipped short, it's missing. If it was snipped, you could use any old piece of metal or plastic, securely fastened to the remaining stub, shaped like the old lever. If the fastening held, it would work. No lever at all means no place to glue or screw in a replacement. The best way to be sure is to remove the mount and see what's there.

Edit: I changed my mind. I think I know what they did and the lens is repairable. You might be able to use parts from the A50/2 or make your own. Looking at my lens, the aperture lever is attached sort of like the one in this photo, except the one in the photo is riveted on. On the A50/1.4, it's screwed on with tiny screws. I think they removed the mount, took out those two screws and put the mount back on. You'll need tiny screws, possibly from an eyeglass repair kit. A decent screwdriver can remove the mount, JIS is best but it helps that someone has loosened the screws before. The lever itself is just a stamped tab, and the holes might not be the same spacing as the A50/2. I might fabricate a lever if the A50/2 lever is not identical.
My a50 f1.4 (a very early copy) had rivets holding the lever on. That's why I had to cut mine off, and trim off the guard with an exacto knife. As much as I hated to modify my first Pentax lens (bought around '85) I was anxious to use it on 135mm format as it was made for.